Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
paul780

Steering Wheel Squeaking When Turning

When I take turns (both right and left) my steering wheel is making squeaking noises. It isn't something that is causing damage or anything like that. The noise is coming from the steering wheel itself or below the dash at the farthest, it doesn't have anything to do with the front axel or anything like that. But I was curious if anyone had an idea where the noise is possibly coming from so that I can spray it with WD-40 to stop it. I should also mention that the noise isn't even very loud and is just more of an annoyance than it is a problem. But obviously would like to stop it. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

I wouldn't use wd-40. Personally I think if it's making noise, you'd be better off pulling off the wheel and using real grease, either red, green or white lithium grease. I am not a fan of wd-40, I think it's best use is penetrating and breaking loose nuts and bolts (and I won't use it for even those applications). It will not last very long, whereas true grease will hold up and lubricate much better.

use 3 in 1... some of the cans come with little extension tips that'd fit behind the wheel perfectly... WD-40 would not work well.. it would wear off and come right back...

BTW.. for breaking bolts I found out about this stuff... PB Blaster... works AWESOME... you can see rust just melt off the bolts... crazy shizz

WD-40 is actually a degreaser, so it'll lubricate for a short time, and get rid of the grease thats on there

WD-40's best use is to PREVENT things from rusting for a short amount of time. That's what the name means "Water Displacement, formula 40". It just keeps the moisture from the air off of the part so that it doesn't rust nearly as quickly.

WD-40 is a decent deruster, but not nearly as good as PB Blaster. I've had a 3 foot breaker bar on a nut before, and not have it budge. After letting it sit overnight with some PB Blaster, it literally took no effort to get off.

For the squeling wheel, I'd use lithium grease, as soulstylee says..... B)

WD-40's best use is to PREVENT things from rusting for a short amount of time. That's what the name means "Water Displacement, formula 40". It just keeps the moisture from the air off of the part so that it doesn't rust nearly as quickly.

WD-40 is a decent deruster, but not nearly as good as PB Blaster. I've had a 3 foot breaker bar on a nut before, and not have it budge. After letting it sit overnight with some PB Blaster, it literally took no effort to get off.

For the squeling wheel, I'd use lithium grease, as soulstylee says..... B)

only thing is... PB didn't help me get my endlinks off... :( but that's cuz they broke...

spray silicone lubricant first between the joints on the rubber covering the steering crosses on the firewall in the engine bay, as that's what squeaks.If possible stick the spray extension where the rubber mates with the metal. when you are happy the noise is gone - spray grease will fix the prob permanently - I mean the type that is a liquid when you spray and becomes grease when it dries up.

Silicone Spray or PB Blaster are ur best bet. dont use WD 40 cause it will take the grease off. also, it could light on fire, lol, probably not though

Just roll into a Oil change place and tell them to hit up your zerks even tho there sealed should solve your problem you might have one thats poped or something alont those lines..