Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
barcode47

Overdrive

5 posts in this topic

I have a 626 auto and I dont think the overdrive is working. I press the button on the shift and I get no difference in revs whatever speed I am doing when I press it. The orange light on the instrument cluster comes on but as I say I can feel no difference.

Also when the orange light is on , is the overdrive on or off.

When the light is on, the O/D is off. You should be able to tell if your car is in O/D(4th gear) just by counting the number of times it shifts while you increase your rpm from a stop. Do another test. With the light on and travelling at 50mph, depress the switch to turn the light off. You should see a noticeable reduction in rpm. If not then you are probably correct in a assuming your car never goes into O/D. Check your ATX fluid level and check the color. It should be red.

are you sure that if the hold light is on means o/d is off? i thought that if the hold light was on the o/d is on cause if you start the car up don't it reset itself to normal?

are you sure that if the hold light is on means o/d is off? i thought that if the hold light was on the o/d is on cause if you start the car up don't it reset itself to normal?

I think we're confusing the "Hold" and "O/D OFF" lights. The Hold light (correct me if I'm wrong, I have an M/T, never had owned an auto) just keeps it in gear longer, or something to that effect. The O/D OFF light tells you that you have Overdrive off (and is warning you) and you will suffer from poor fuel efficiency and increased engine wear.