How To Diagnose A Check Engine Light (CEL)

i am getting pretty average fuel economy out of my KL. would resetting the ECU do anything to improve my economy. btw its serviced regularly, weve owned it for the past 100,000km and it gets 16L/100km around the city?

does this figure sound right?

would resetting the ecu help?

CHEERS

bewshay: you need to start a new thread on this topic, dealing with your car's specific problems, rather than adding your question to this pinned thread on how to read a cel. Then people will see it, and answer it. Click on the "New Topic" button. Good luck!

• 2 months later...
If you just bought the car off of an 80 year old grandma who never even found the gas pedal but just cruised around in 'D' at idle then yeah, time for a reset. B)

My Dad is not quite that bad, but he normally drives the speed limit and doesn't accelerate fast. When I bought the car from him it felt sluggish at part throttle. Resetting the ECU and having it relearn under the way I drive made a huge difference in throttle response. The car felt much quicker at part throttle.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a quick question my CEL has been coming on for a bit now every time I start driving after a while it would come on but sometimes it would go away and then come back on again so now that I have seen this thread I decided to go ahead and try to pull the codes... well it seems to be code 23-24? Im not sure if I am seeing it correctly so I took a video and wanted to show it to you guys and maybe you guys can tell me if what I am seeing is correct or if its something else... here is the video i took of the CEL right when I put the key into ON position http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2379281616498650439

• 1 month later...

I have an Actron CP9145 scanner that I had purchased for use with an OBD II vehicle.

But with a cable adapter (OBD I MECS 17 pin, $50) it is supposedly capable of reading and erasing the continuous memory codes in the '95 626 as long as you enter the vehicle as a Ford Probe of appropriate year and engine.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

Norm

• 1 year later...
I found some info on how to get the CEL codes if you don't have a check engine light; this is good info for the Australian models.

On diagnostics connecter, the same with where you jump the GND and TEN pins, there is another pin called the FEN (trouble code output for engine control computer), if you hook a volumeter to that pin and ground the other side, you can see the CEL pulses. Therefore, letting you get the CEL codes without the actual CEL light.

Hi.

Can somebody tell me what a Volumeter is... I have been searching the net, and all I get is something about putting your hand into som water... Don't think water in my diagnostics connecter is that good.

Martin

I found some info on how to get the CEL codes if you don't have a check engine light; this is good info for the Australian models.

On diagnostics connecter, the same with where you jump the GND and TEN pins, there is another pin called the FEN (trouble code output for engine control computer), if you hook a volumeter to that pin and ground the other side, you can see the CEL pulses. Therefore, letting you get the CEL codes without the actual CEL light.

Hi.

Can somebody tell me what a Volumeter is... I have been searching the net, and all I get is something about putting your hand into som water... Don't think water in my diagnostics connecter is that good.

Martin

I think he typo'd, and meant VOLTMETER.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

i just have a small question... where would i go to get a small diagnosis machine that will fit in the diagnosis plug in the car. i just want to get some codes if any from my car. .

I dont know if you have a Harbor Freight Tools store where you are but they have some that arent highly expensive.Simple for checking codes. The scanners are more as you probably already know.

Just a thought.

i just have a small question... where would i go to get a small diagnosis machine that will fit in the diagnosis plug in the car. i just want to get some codes if any from my car. .

I dont know if you have a Harbor Freight Tools store where you are but they have some that arent highly expensive.Simple for checking codes. The scanners are more as you probably already know.

Just a thought.

The post you replied to was from 11 years ago...nowadays you can buy a bluetooth or wifi OBD-2 scanner that works with a smartphone for around $10-$15 shipped.