ok i just came back from the mechanic. i had the spark plugs and ignition wires replaced with brand new NGK ones. he told me that valve cover is leaking a little bit for cylinders 1,3 and 5, but its not urgent to change it, but will have to be done sometimes down the road. yes i do know that it is harder to change that one because of the whole intake manifold. so i asked him how much does it cost for valve cover and he said $25 which to me seems kind of cheap, and he also said when i replace one how i should replace both of them. my question to you guys is: do i really have to replace both of them and where can i buy valve covers online and is one brand better than other one?

thanks

I think you mean the valve cover gasket needs to be replaced, not the valve cover itself. $25 is cheap. That's what I pay over the internet. My theory is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Sure, you could replace both now, but why? Check your rear gasket and pull the rear plugs and check for oil. None? Then don't mess with it. Most shops are going to tell you to replace both because they make no money replacing the front one. It's not a hard job at all. But the rear one is a PITA as you have to take the IM, fuel rails, etc, off and they can bill more labor for that. Just get the front one changed if the rear one is fine. Make sure that they also use new crush gaskets (where the bolts go in) as the old ones don't seal as well when you re-use them. They are about $2 to $3 each. I can't remember how many you'll need, though. I bought my valve cover gasket from here. As long as it's up to OEM specs, than there really isn't much of a difference. HTH.

I'm pretty sure he means the valve cover gasket and not the valve cover itself. It's easy to tell if you need to replace it:

Oil in plug wells and/or around valve cover gasket = need new valve cover gasket

No oil in plug wells and/or around valve cover gasket = do not need new valve cover gasket

Your car won't make any weird noises if a valve cover gasket is leaking. And your car won't be sluggish if it leaking either; UNLESS you have such a major leak that somehow, someway, air is being forced through the leak and vacuum is affected. If you are at this stage, just go ahead and plan on spending ALOT more money than just on a VCG, though. Although I have yet to hear about this ever happening.

penguin thanx for nice detailed reply :smile: . i changed my spark plugs and wires today and mechanic (my moms friend) told me ill need to replace valve cover gaskets soon but not right a way. im assuming they were leaking maybe a lil bit but not enough so i have the need to replace it. and the rear one was leaking not the front one like he said, but before i go about buying one or anything ill have to check it out myself like u told me to :smile: thanx