Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

I'm looking to rebuild the suspension on my '99 626 V6, but cannot find specs on the OEM sway bar sizes (front or rear). I want to beef it up so that the car is more stable in hard corners, so I want thicker bars than the OEM. Can anyone tell me the thickness of the OEM sway bars, front an rear?

Yes, I know I need to redo the rest of the suspension, but this is my 1st research into upgrading my vehicle.  Note: I got this car from my parents & it only has 44k miles on it. But, being that it's 20 years old, I need to refurbish lots of parts that interact with rubber interfaces. Beefing up sway bars & bushings are my 1st task, then stiffer shocks & springs. New motor mounts are also in the equation. Suspension is really the only mechanical issue to be resolved. Then, I'll look to upgrade brakes, wheels, & stickier tires. After that, a little minor body work, stereo upgrade, and maybe new front seats.

But, for now, I'm really interested in knowing about the stock sway bars so I can make sure and beef them up as I move forward.

Thanks a BUNCH!

David

San Antonio, TX

On 8/7/2019 at 7:23 PM, Darkflame said:

I'm looking to rebuild the suspension on my '99 626 V6, but cannot find specs on the OEM sway bar sizes (front or rear). I want to beef it up so that the car is more stable in hard corners, so I want thicker bars than the OEM. Can anyone tell me the thickness of the OEM sway bars, front an rear?

Yes, I know I need to redo the rest of the suspension, but this is my 1st research into upgrading my vehicle.  Note: I got this car from my parents & it only has 44k miles on it. But, being that it's 20 years old, I need to refurbish lots of parts that interact with rubber interfaces. Beefing up sway bars & bushings are my 1st task, then stiffer shocks & springs. New motor mounts are also in the equation. Suspension is really the only mechanical issue to be resolved. Then, I'll look to upgrade brakes, wheels, & stickier tires. After that, a little minor body work, stereo upgrade, and maybe new front seats.

But, for now, I'm really interested in knowing about the stock sway bars so I can make sure and beef them up as I move forward.

Thanks a BUNCH!

David

San Antonio, TX

What a prize. a 99 626 with Low Miles. Can't answer your question, but interested in the answer. I have an original owner 99 626 v6 with 216k miles. I've been slowly re-building the car while using it as a daily driver. Timing Belt, Lower control Arms and Ball joints most recently. I have a 1 1/2 mile section of curves on my commute that are absolutely break taking. It comes with a 500 - 1000 foot drop off on one side as a constant reminder of what if. So I recon I need to keep my suspension in good order. Even High performance.