Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
zdanman

Rough Idle and Difficult Start

2002 Mazda 626 (2.5L) has rough idle and RPM dips up and down going down drive way in first gear.

Also, sometimes takes A LOT of cranks to start.

This issue has been degrading over time.  First it was just rough loping idle.  Now I have problems starting.  I crank it for a while and then fires up and then dies.  After a minute or so of cranking up and dying... it finally cranks up and I am able to hold at 2000 RPM until the idle is somewhat stable again.  I have also noticed a lack of power recently.

Plugs and wires are new.

Check Engine light is on and has been for a while.

the 4 Check Engine codes are

P0400 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow

P0300 - Multiple Misfire Detected

P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire

P0305 - Misfire Detected

I removed and tested the EGR valve (very difficult btw), and according to procedure in Chilton Shop Manual... the EGR valve is good.

Any ideas?

It can be a bad #2 fuel injector on cylinder 2. You could check the resistance of the fuel injector at the rail.

You can also perform a compression test on each cylinder making sure you have good compression especially on cylinder 2.

Thanks for reply.

9 hours ago, Tiberianx said:

It can be a bad #2 fuel injector on cylinder 2. You could check the resistance of the fuel injector at the rail.

You can also perform a compression test on each cylinder making sure you have good compression especially on cylinder 2.

I'll replace it.  If that doesnt fix anything and assuming the EGR is still good... what else do you think it could be?

Also, by rough idle I mean a loping sound.

It is a different sound then, say, if I remove the #2 spark plug wire while running.  Then it is an additional clicking noise sound (of the cyclinder #2 not firing) while running.

So I don't think it is missing at idle.