Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Dib Dib Dib

2000 Mazda 626 LX Alternator Removal Issue

Hello, we're currently working on removing an alternator from a 2000 Mazda 626 LX (2.0 4 cylinder) and could use a bit of advice.

The alternator has been loosened completely and we're now just trying to find the best course for removing it from the vehicle. Clearance is obviously an issue. The top and bottom both appear tricky as of now. We've read some threads here and watched some Youtube videos as well, but most of the existing info seems to revolve around slightly different models. If there is anyone that could advise which steps need to be taken to help give some clearance either on bottom or top for the 2000 626 LX with a 4 cylinder in particular, it would be much appreciated.

Some images have been attached if they're of any help. Thank you.

1 (2).jpg

1 (3).jpg

1 (1).jpg

GENERATOR REMOVAL/INSTALLATION Warning • When the battery cables are connected, touching the vehicle body with generator terminal B will generate sparks. This can cause personal injury, fire, and damage to the electrical components. Always disconnect the battery before performing the following operation. 1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. 2. Remove the transverse member. (FS) 3. Remove the front pipe. (FS) (See 01-15-2 EXHAUST SYSTEM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [FS].) 4. Remove in the order indicated in the table. 5. Install in the reverse order of removal. 

BTW:   called a generator in the shop manual.

2001 US shop manual

Thanks, that was very helpful. Despite what some other sources alluded to, there was no need to remove anything on top (i.e. draining the radiator). The steps outlined in the post above are all that's needed for alternator removal on a 2.0 2000 Mazda 626 LX outside of dealing with all of the bolts and connectors and the like. Bottom removal is the best method. It can be frustrating and time consuming given the tight spaces and occasional uncomfortable angles, but it's definitely doable. 

On 1/20/2019 at 1:00 PM, aleekat said:

Just curious if you removed the front pipe or just loosened it up?

If that's the same sort of flex pipe as found on the '96, I can tell you from experience, don't put too much strain on the flex portion. If it's somewhat old and rusty, you can cause leaks pretty easy that way. Besides, there's just three bolts on front and two in back, it actually isn't so bad with a decent 1/2" impact.

Of course if this happened to me on the freeway in somewhere like the middle of Nebraska, you know, the typical places alternators like to die, then I would probably just loosen the sucker :)

I just remove the 3 nuts up front.  Pulled the exhaust down and was able to maneuver the alternator out.

On 4/15/2008 at 6:11 PM, johnd900 said:

Misaligned pulleys!!! That makes sense! Great advice. Thanks very much, I'll be sure to let you know what I find. :biggrin:

8 hours ago, Dj help said:

Did this solve the issue. I have the same problem ☹️

If you are asking about removing the alternator.  PBlaster on the front pipe nuts to remove than you can drop the alternator out.   Pipe does not need to be removed just loosen up to move out of the way.