Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
sudha

1992 -1997 626/Telstar Seat Belt - Help Needed

Hello folks, 

It's been a while since I posted.

I own two Ford Telstars, a 1994 V6 and a 1997 FS. 

The earlier model has issues with the seat belt whereby the front passenger and drive side tongue has partially broken. To change simply means i have to get the entire seat belt roller mechanism.

Here's the challenge, dealers at my location no longer carry parts for this model. Aftermarket dealers also do not have this part. 

So only option is to look in the junkyards but its quite rare to find one being stripped. 

So my question is, is the seatbelt system universal or is it possible to retrofit from another make and model?

And has anyone successfully removed their seat belts for this generation with pics and tutorial?

Any feedback is most welcome. Thank you.

p/s tried searching the forum but it seems the popular seat topics are for the automatic seat belts from the 2nd gen. couldn''t find one for the GEs.

A quick internet search for "replace seat belts" shows lots of aftermarket "universal" seat belts for sale. So my guess is that it won't be hard to find something from another car (maybe Ford or Mazda, around the same year) that would fit OK. Making sure it's roughly the same length seems to be the only thing to watch for. And if the tongue is different, you would also have to swap the thing the tongue connects into, which might mean the seat belt warning light doesn't work (if you have those).

But I don't know this for sure.

This is for the MX6, but might be useful:

https://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-general/233934-seat-belt-no-longer-has-much-tension.html