Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
ColdWarVet607

Replace Outer Axle Boot - how to remove outer cv joint?

Trying to replace the outer boot on drivers side, have everything apart. How do I pull off the outer CV joint (is it CV?). Saw a ETCG video on boot replacement, the outer CV joint should slide off easily, it wont move. Should it slide off? Appreciate some advice, havent found section in FWSM that covers this, thanks -D

Answer to my own question! I finall found details in the 2001 WSM Under Drive Shaft, for the ATX thats 03-13-14 or pdf page 914, for the MTX its section just a few pages before this. Big Bummer is, you can remove the outer bell joint!!!!! I need to separate the Drive Shaft from the Joint Shaft, then disassemble and remove Outer Ring, remove the tripod joint, remove the inner boot and pull the outer boot off from that opposite end. The boot is just fine on the inner side. What a stinkin' bummer!

But on the bright side I get to take more stuff apart and I've taken a ton of stuff apart. This also requires removing the stabilizer link from the lower control arm,, removing out tie rod from lower control arm. You may have to pull the brakes and rotor and remove wheel assembly from knuckle to make it easier, but I've already done that as I'm replacing ball joints.

There are the split type boots but they are all related as garbage, so I guess I got some disassembly tomorrow. Yikes, this would cost a fortune to replace a 8$ boot at a shop.