Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
83Mazda626LX

Sometimes it starts, sometimes nothing

Hi!

Here's the scenario:

*Sometimes starts perfectly.

*Sometimes, when turning key to start after all emergency lights come on, nothing happens and all lights go out. 

*Turning key to ACC after this happens makes a rapid clicking sound. But everything else dark, no start.

*Trying again and again might eventually get the car to start, without the emergency lights ever coming on.

*Car has brand new starter, and was doing the same thing before starter replaced.

Any ideas appreciated!

It sounds like an electrical Issue with the engine. Check your spark plugs, coil pack and plugs for corrosion or wear. As for the clicking I don't quite know. Maybe the electrical connection behind the key itself is weak. If it isnt under the hood then I would bet that that is where it is

I would be checking battery cables.  I've seen the corrosion be under the insulation.  And if they are original, wow.  35yrs old.

Update:

After 3 new starters, 2 new battery cables, and a new "ignition safety" switch on the shifter (whatever keeps it from starting in drive), here's where I'm at:

Car starts okay sometimes, sometimes won't. When it doesn't, I twist the key while shifting it into neutral - then it starts.

Remember, switch on shifter has already been replaced. What do you think? A short, maybe?

I had an intermittent-eventually-completely no start with mine, it was a relay in the vicinity of the battery, it had become detached from it's mount and fallen inside the body cavity behind. The dust cover collected moisture and rotted the relay. However, Mine is a manual transmission and it was not getting an injector pulse...

If it's an automatic, did you replace or adjust the selector cable during any of this? If the cable is stretched, worn, or out of adjustment, the gear selector may not be putting the transmission all the way into park, the (probably ok) neutral switch was doing it's job and preventing it from starting because the car didn't "see" the transmission in park... If the car will reliably start when you hold the key on start and then select neutral, you are tripping the neutral switch *as* it moves through what the car has defined as "neutral", and allowing the starter to engage.