graybeard

1988 626 pulls to left under torque

4 posts in this topic

Hello all , My 88 626 pulls to the left hard under acceleration then straightens hard to the right when I let off the gas . It pulls slightly to the left when not under torque . The tire air pressure is 32 lbs all around . The steering wheel is off center and turned to the left from 9 o'clock to about 8 o'clock . It has gotten worse the last 500 miles or so .  Any thoughts from experience please , would be much appreciated.

Time to get under your car. Original suspension components? First thing to look at is your lower control arms, ball joints and mounting bolts front and rear. Second, is there excessive play in the steering rack? Third, are your tie rods and do the tires show any signs of toe being off. If everything is original then it is time for you to make a decision on replacing everything in your suspension. That means new control arms with ball joints, new outer and inner tie rods, new stabilizer bushings, possibly new struts including their upper mounts. I have done that on both of mine and they handle great and track true. Of course doing this in the driveway is easy as these cars are easy to work on compared to my 73 Dodge as an example just for ball joints. Anyway examine the lower control arms carefully.

Thanks for your excellent reply tbm3fan , I had serious lung surgery in December that I am still recovering from.  That said I stopped at a tire shop on the way back from the doc. And they put it on a lift that only lifts a few feet. They let me stand beside them despite all the signs saying customers couldn't do that. Great people ! They turned the steering wheel back and forth and did the 3-9 o' clock wheel shake on the pass. Side and it was pretty loose . 6-12 o'clock was firm.I thought the the tie rods but he crawled under and shook them and they were firm. They believe ball joint or control arm loose or wore out . I wish it was up higher where I could go under it but that didn't happen . They did this for free. I will definitely give them my business soon on tires for my old truck.   I need to find out more about the parts at this point . I have a willing friend to help out. I will have to get a better look at them but I was wanting to know how hard they are to replace should I need to. Any special tools etc. Needed ??? Thanks

Tbm3fan - I got to ask. As an old mopar admirer , is it a  Cuda or a Challenger ? That was my era growing up.