SpeedyED

Valve Stem Seals

4 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

Anyone attempted to replace the valve stem seals with the head still attached to the vehicle? Is it easy?

Cheers!

I have done it. It wasn't that hard just a little time consuming. The hardest part was getting the right spring compressor, and getting it in position with clearance to compress the spring. I used two different spring compressors. The one I used on the exhaust side would not work for the ones on the intake side, because of the clearance. Then after compressing the spring sometimes the retainers were stuck in there good. One popped off and flew, but luckily I did find it. 

Just take your time and its not a hard job. I assume you are familiar with the rope method so the valve wont drop onto the piston. This is not my video. 

On 09/01/2018 at 7:35 AM, mike060 said:

I have done it. It wasn't that hard just a little time consuming. The hardest part was getting the right spring compressor, and getting it in position with clearance to compress the spring. I used two different spring compressors. The one I used on the exhaust side would not work for the ones on the intake side, because of the clearance. Then after compressing the spring sometimes the retainers were stuck in there good. One popped off and flew, but luckily I did find it. 

Just take your time and its not a hard job. I assume you are familiar with the rope method so the valve wont drop onto the piston. This is not my video. 

Thanks mike, youtube vid was very helpful!

I found this on ebay: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ENGINE-VALVE-SPRING-COMPRESSOR-UNIVERSAL-TOOL-WITH-AIR-HOLD-ADAPTORS-NEW/150635358467?_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20170221122447%26meid%3D9a395e8b844f4593be21749d4c1cac44%26pid%3D100752%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D151451753191&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

Instead of using rope, what are everyones thoughts on filling the cylinder with compressed air instead of using a bit of rope?

I've heard of using compressed air to do this. But what if the compressor stops mid job? I just used a spring compressor from autozone parts store. They have a loan a tool, where you pay for the tool, then bring it back and get your money returned. The other one I used was from a mechanic friend.