Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Yukoner777

Still NO HEAT!!!

Hi guys

I have a 1995 626 2.0L, automatic.  The car was okay during the summer, but when winter arrived (that's October here in Yukon) I discovered that the heater was intermittent.  The engine warms up fine.  But even after the engine warms up, the heater doesn't put out heat until I've been driving for another 10 minutes or so.  And the heat reduces considerably, sometimes blowing ice cold when I slow down or come to a stop.

I've spent hours online trying to nail down the problem.  I took the car to a rad shop to get the heater core back-flushed, but the guy there showed me that there was a bunch of gunk on the rad cap, which he said indicated that someone had previously used StopLeak.  There was some coolant which indicated a leak.  So I ended up getting the radiator replaced.  System flushed and a new radiator, and still intermittent heat!  They use some kind of vacuum system when replacing the coolant, but I read a post by someone who still had air in the system after the shop used the vacuum system, so I bought one of the spill-free funnel kits and burped some air out of the system.  I had the front end jacked up and ran the car for about half an hour to ensure I got it free of air.  It seemed to be better at first, but later it was still the same problem.

There don't seem to be any other symptoms of a blown head gasket, so I've ruled that out.

Could it somehow be tied to a vacuum issue?  Because after the car is thoroughly warmed up, the heat blows pretty hot when I accelerate, but then cools off when I back off the gas.

The only other thing I can think of is that the water pump is not efficient at low rpm, but even if that were the case, I would think that the existing hot coolant in the heater core should provide heat for 15 or 20 seconds, even if there is no coolant flow at idle.  But it actually cools off right away.

I really didn't plan on throwing a bunch of money at this car.  It was supposed to just be cheap transportation for a year.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ross