Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
GT_FE3

The roughest GV8W Capella in history

Form my thread: 

I did indeed get this car - 1997 GV8 Capella wagon, F8 dohc auto with all the seats from factory. It was the cheapest and the only one with the seats that was auto  $700. Smaller so the wife and stepson can drive it, not too bad on fuel, F8 has some power for a stock  4 cylinder and its not a mini van or SUV (bleargh!).

I get it next week. Below is how it would have looked from factory. Once I get it home I'll take some pics. Every single GV wagon of this era has clear coat peeling. This one has it on every panel just about. It has more than the average amounts of car park damage too, dents dings and scrapes. Mechanically it is good aside from a leaky rocker cover gasket which is easy.

Why put in builds? Needs the usual clean and service - all fluids and filter including trans.

Also because I want to *try* get it looking from how it is now to like it should be in that picture - it is the exact color, two tone and everything. It will get a repaint because its just too rough although it might have a bit more orange peel in it because it will be a prep Friday night, prime Saturday morning, flat it back, color it, clear coat on Sunday and done buff it the next weekend, when I do it. Maybe 38J Celestial blue for something different? $300 will get me the paint.

Mods? I have a Mazdaspeed badge for the boot lid on my watchlist. Some 18" alloys no tyres which close in 2 days time and currently on $5 - I know will go up hoping I can get them for a couple of hundred. Maybe if I can find low springs I'll put a set of them in, tint front windows to match the others then it'll be done then. No point in doing performance stuff really its an auto but I like a good handling car.

gv8w wagon.jpg

http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/catalog/MAZDA__CAPELLA_WAGON/2502142/ 

All the specs and supposed to be a limited edition....

Edited by GT_FE3
found specs from goo-net

Some quick/bad pics. At least there's not much rust, but yeah its not pretty, the ugly green spray paint will not be there long and will come off easy with a quick buzz of 180 grit. Blanked the plates as its not quite mine yet

capella1.jpg.bdc8c260241ce0e99a23e94745c550bb.jpgcapellarear.jpg.db0761da6325e36e96d1e42951f2f4f2.jpgcapella2.jpg.a1bbfecb14c6c514ad6c011f5be7ad72.jpg

So full repaint is on the cards after I give it a good service. There is some damage to the right rear quarter which I'll heat and bang out with a dollies and a hammer as best I can and then fill/bondo, its gonna have its fair share of filler for sure. Its not going to be a show car, I'm doing it D.I.Y - that said I'm going to get it as straight as possible before the filler comes out lol. Paint wise I have a few options:

38J - Mazda's Celestial blue metallic (I like it great color)

59a4dc3e6e24c_celestailblue.thumb.jpg.f42d3022e0d82f23046ab220e66af5fc.jpg

Repaint it the factory color - Think possibly its Pacific Green Metallic 21X or 2W, I like it its pretty rare

"My Blue Obsession" - a custom 2k paint I can get for cheaper than the others - in 2K 4 liters for $260. Might get 3 liters since I'm keeping it 2 tone. Getting the paint from Autolink, its a test card. leaning towards this to save some extra coin

blueobsession.jpg.c82c79590330070734b45b40f26b0fee.jpg

Same company using the Autothane paint system different color called Cobalt Drift with more green in it compared to the blue obsession. I know its still has more blue than the factory color it looks good and probably the closest they all look similar to me lol, ironically I'm color blind so id struggle to see how much percentage between blue and green is between the colors. Cobalt drift is in the middle, Blue obsession on the right. Decisions, decisions $$ determines the winner

capella1.jpg.5b6f4071899aa892a3548a1cc474f3ef.jpg59a4e232e4a62_cobaltdrift.jpg.9c8bd85dc5e725e797ab08c475045523.jpgblueobsession.jpg.17bf755c08d7b8f3b94bd6dc5c38941d.jpg

Paint is going to be $376 for 2 liters each of primer, base which is the cobalt drift and clear. I have a compressor which should do the job, getting an HVLP Eastwood spray gun for $70. Cheaping a bit on the gun because I also have to make a booth, getting a 6x3 meter gazebo for $120 and I'll run some fans for ventilation. I'll use the gun and "paint booth" set up again for sure, so I'm not really counting that. $40 will buy filler, masking tape and plastic - $400 for paint and materials isn't bad. I'm doing this in 2K its enough to redo the teal. Since its not a complete change I'm hoping I can blend some areas, the roof will be re-primed because of the extent of the peel and the right rear quarter as it is damaged. I pick it up in 2 days time, lol haven't even got it and I'm already planning stuff.

Got some Mazda speed badges on my watch list which I'll get once I have it. First things first - a service, replace broken light lenses, repair panel damage and repaint.

not to be a debbie downer but the the F8 also came out in the ford econovan / mazda bongo van too. just a majority are the 2 litre version.

6 hours ago, gooseboy78 said:

not to be a debbie downer but the the F8 also came out in the ford econovan / mazda bongo van too. just a majority are the 2 litre version.

They sure do. I just wanted a car more than a van, prefer the driving dynamics, especially with some good tires and some low springs. If/when I get coil overs for the TX5, I'll put the king springs into this.

Well it did not even make it home. Traveled along way for it. About quarter of the way 350km into the trip, the temp gauge moved - these engines it means somethings up and stop asap. I stopped immediately. Checked car seemed ok, allowed it to cool. Removed thermostat, put heater on, replaced the radiator cap, refilled it. Drove 15 km gauge rose. Stopped. Coolant presurising in the top hose, spraying between the radiator and the clamped hose! Let it cool. Walked back to a town I'd just passed. Hope a headgasket kit would fix it but likely I think it had blown a waterjacket in the heat so the engine is pretty much done for. Carried out directions. Got 15 km into the middle of nowhere. gauge half way suddenly it just goes right off the scale. Engine off. I hear coolant boiling in resivior. F**k! I am 500 km from home. Sick of the thing I get a lift into the next town. Booked a motel. Return to the car which has been hit into bending the wheel well and its been broken into - left nothing in it but some rubbish which is scattered through the car. Now it is bent and boiled so it went to scrap unfortunately and I ended up stranded and pissed off on an expensive holiday and returned home on a bus. So I am on the hunt for another one now, hopefully it will be tidier.

Found the replacement. 1997 GW (6th gen) Capella. Its got literally half the km's (142,500) FS-ZE since its a Jap import, white with a bodykit and has no paint peel or anything and its 100% mint compared to the other one. Hoping to get it next weekend.