GT_FE3

Can the GV Series wagon boot seats be put into a 5 seater?

7 posts in this topic

I'm just wondering if this has been done? Seems to use the wheel well for leg room once the boot carpet and spare wheel cover is removed? I'll get some tyre foam for in case of a flat. It's a bit hard to find a factory GV 7 seat wagon for a decent price. which would be perfect for a family hack and learner runabout car. Why?

*Need a cheap auto car for step son to learn to drive in. Step son has no interest in manual his words finds it far too difficult. Wife is scared of manual in traffic and doesn't like it much. A pity this in manual would be perfection for the circumstances.

*Need 7 seats. Hate minivans and SUVs to me they drive like crap and under powered if 4 cylinder, but I prefer 4 cylinders because fuel is a rip off. I use my motorbike if its only me.

*Ford Falcon is too big according to wife and stepson. Plus dumb old NZ keep taking away LPG pumps - Falcon is dedicated LPG, finding fuel absolutely sucks. I'd love a petrol Falcon - big, comfortable, handles nicely - but a 4 litre 6 cylinder at $2.10 a liter is too expensive. With LPG at $1.38 a litre the wagon takes 115 litres to fill $150 and you get 460 km around town, not that we do its $20 here and $30 there. Long trip 750 km it is amazing on long trips.

F8/Fe-dohc gets a tick from me, decent power for a stock 4 cylinder and not bad on fuel for what they are about $85 for a full tank about 500 km in the city give or take and 620km on long trip. I can live with auto I guess it is just one sacrifice.

To answer my question - yes and no. Some countries - yes put them in, retro fit seat belts and enjoy.  NZ's red tape crap - waste almost a third of the price as the car is worth ($600) to get a dumb vehicle certificate. Yes if I want to spend $3000 on a 20+ year old Mazda - nothing wrong with old Mazda's they are brilliant! But $3000 is not what I call a cheap learner car, I'm thinking half that at least. Best to wait for a legit one to come up

May have just found one! An ex - japan 1997 Capella wagon with 229,871 kms, 100% factory apart from a head unit and alloys. Front wheel drive, F8 Dohc and auto, it has all the seats I need from factory. Its the roughest one I've ever seen, panel and paint its wise so bad I will likely re spray it at some point - clear coat flaking on every panel and it is FAR from clean. It is cheap ($700) Currently legal until December and supposed to be mechanically good, which I'll find out at the end of the week if it really is. I will miss the Falcon once it sells - it is an awesome car but fueling it is spectacularly less awesome. I have a soft spot for Mazda's so I'm not really regretting it. Plus with the extra money from the Falcon I can get the TX5 from hibernation and have it roaming the streets once again!

On 9/3/2017 at 11:25 PM, adtricky said:

Glad you sorted it, it's definitely handy having the the extra seats when needed. 

Haha well I wish I did. Hunting for another one in better condition which won't boil and then end up getting crashed and broken into.

Since the other was a dud I bid on this instead. Its a 1997 GF Capella wagon - Jap import, nothing wrong with that you get cool little things NZ ones don't like boot seats. 144,000 km's, MS bodykit and no real rust. It's in showroom condition in comparison to the other one - a good buff maybe fix the bumper scrapes, try and find the bumper lights. Master window switch faulty, its due for a lube service - the only 2 things it really needs. Won the auction at $1,250 which I thought was quite cheap considering there are worse condition ones with double the km's going for $2,000+. I'm leaving to get it in a couple of hours.

capellawag.jpg