Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Kaden

change manual to automatic

I have a 1999 4 cylinder Mazda 626 5 speed manual that I want to convert to an automatic. Can someone tell me what parts I will need to complete this job and the steps to complete? Thanks.

Generally people want to go from auto to manual not manual to auto.  Weird request but I'll help detail the parts. 

1. Automatic ECU

2. Automatic shift mechanism (you'll want to find a donor or junkyard donor to pull most parts from like this one)

3. Automatic transmission including torque converter (best to get one from another 1999 year model exactly for best compatibility of wiring pins as they do change year to year)

4. Automatic Transmission Range Switch and Turbine Speed Sensor (if not included on the transmission)

5. Instrument cluster (for PRNDL indicator)

6. Automatic axles (if ABS equipped you must get ABS axles)

7. Automatic engine/transmission wiring harness

8. Joint Box & CPU (better safe than sorry grab it and all the cabin wiring)

There will be other little things here and there you might need too that's all I can think about off the top of my head.

You could watch my entire video series on converting a manual to automatic, just watch it in reverse?