Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
xg90

Crank but no start - Ignition switch replaced

This problem just appeared tonight. When the key is inserted and turned to ON, the engine is started, but the starter keeps cranking, and a burning rubber smell comes out from below the dashboard. If I press the key a bit it goes back to normal. I also found that the starter cranks when the key is turned to somewhere between ACC and ON. What is the possible reason for this? Can it be the problem of ignition switch?

If your lucky, it depends on your chassinumber, you can let it be fixed under waranty, because of a recent recall.

My ingnition switch is replaced a couple of months ago.

Unfortunately my 2000 I4 model is not in the recall list. Also found a previous post on this forum about the similar problem. It looks necessary to replace the switch. :( 

I opened the steering column cover this morning, but had difficulty removing the switch because the lower dashboard cover has a stripped screw. So I decided to try removing the switch later today.

Another problem is ... the starter cranks but engine does not start today. Too much fuel in cylinders I guess?

Sounds like a faulty switch to me however a short in the switch wiring could cause a similar result.  Inspect all the wiring from the switch and look for rubbed through wires potentially causing a short.  If everything looks ok then attempt to bypass the switch (I will never provide advice on how to do that as it can be used illegally).  Look in the WSM for switch diagnostic procedures from pmx626.info in the body electrical troubleshooting manual (BETM).

ignition switch has been removed. measured resistance from the ignition switch socket under the dashboard. the IG1 (socket B) line and ST (socket E) line seems short-circuited (about 5 Ohm resistance). I think this leads to the starter problem. still trying to figure out where the short is

is.png

wd.png

No short-circuit actually. installed new switch and it works! but still unable to start the engine. I guess the battery is low because of endless cranking days ago. trying to find someone to help

Brief summary right now: still cranking, engine shakes roughly without start. ignition switch replaced - it works normally. spark plugs replaced because the old ones are in a mess (2 with broad gap and 1 covered by carbon). spark plug wires checked without problem. fuel pump relay checked. fuses all checked.

having no clue right now. suspect it might be fuel system or timing belt.

Remove the upper timing cover, and check the t-cover, the timing belt is not a hard job and if thats all you can get away with to fix it is affordable aswell, i would prefer to do a kit with a water pump over just a belt, but i know how it goes sometimes, good luck