xtheonewhoknocks

Crank - no start, pulled bat cables while car was running..oops

14 posts in this topic

Okay, so i beg you read this. its been pretty crazy. so i originally made this post on Tomshardware, but now i found this AWESOME site!! read my OG post here ; (actually red it before replying please..)

" LEASE READ!!! It's been a year and a half, really need help..
Hi, here's my problem.
Specs of car are
2000 Mazda 626, LX V6

Now, about a year & a half ago my father went to start the car, he was going to take it to the shop & get a new battery & see why the car kept swelling the battery up & making it so hot. So he takes the battery cables off (so he could get to the mechanic without the battery swelling up/exploding) which he's done countless times in the past, but this time when he did it, the headlights flashed, windshield wipers came on & the car Reved down until it was off. From then on it hasn't been able to start. 

Windshield wipers do not work
Turn signals do not work
Car will crank but not start
Fuel pump does not engage, when you out the key in, the car beeps & nothing on the dash lights up (except for door open indicator), and when you turn the key to the ON position, nothing else happens it just sits there beeping fast instead of going to the 6 beep sequence then stopping.. Fuel pump doesn't engage. Wipers don't work nor do turn signals. The car will crank but not turn over. Now, it was up until this point that me and him thought it was okay to disconnect the battery while the car was running as the alternator would take over.. After this happened I did some research and learned that the battery acts as a capacitor and limits voltage spikes. So, yeah, it was a dumb move. Any idea on what the hell happened!? Literally I've searched the Internet hundreds of times with different wording & no one else in the entire planet has ever had this happen!? I can't find ONE other person with this problem. It's like everyone is clueless. &I no we haven't taken it to the mechanic as it costs money to tow it there and be looked at.. Haven't tried a new battery, but we have tried jumping it with another car which acts as a new battery (as the engine cranks & the indoor lights are bright) so we definitely know it's not the battery. 

So rundown 
-tried disconnecting battery cables while car was running
-car shut off
-won't start now
-dash doesn't work, can't see mileage or anything else (fuel gauge etc)
-cranks, doesn't start
- fuel pump makes no noise
- beeping sequence stays same when key is inserted into the ignition 

Please help"

ALSO, I THEN REPLIED TO MY OG THREAD WITH THIS COMMENT 

"I am beyond imagination shocked. So, the car started just an hour ago. this spanish guy (Joel) that has always wanted to buy my dads honda civic came buy and asked if he could buy it again, and my dad laughed and said his friend was borrowing it from him right now etc. so my dad asks if he knows anything about mazda's.. he says oh yeah man. so my dad explains the problem to him.. this guy opens the driver door and asks for the key, he puts the key in the ignition, turns it and it cranks were like yeah see. and so he gets on his knees, and without looking at the fuse diagram starts pulling fuses and me and my dad are looking at eachother like hm. so then the dashboard lights, headlights, windshield wipers and gauges come on - me and my dad look at each other amazed and say "thats never happened what did you do?" he goes "hold on man" he gets in the car and cranks it a couple times, the car starts and runs momentarily for about 3 seconds and dies. me and my dad look at eachother in amazement and ask him what he did, and he says "you got any gas?" without a word me and my dad run into the garage looking for a gas can and bring one to him, he pours it directly in the engine bay in the throttle thing, and he says watch this, he turns the key, the gauges and all light up and he cranks it.. the car starts. the car runs for about 10 seconds and sounds perfect. me and my dad are amazed. he says "you have a bad fuel pump". we do the gas trick a couple more times to see it run and make sure it wasnt just a dream. he says he can replace the fuel pump for us for cheap. the windshield wipers would not turn off and slight smoke did come from the cabin. he said we probably have a short in a ground-wire somewhere causing it to smoke and for the electronics to act funny and thats why the fuses were blowing. so, were going to tow the car to his house and hes gonna help us fix it. we are completely stunned. this guy hasnt showed up but twice in the last 7-8 years, and today, out of the blue, the same day me and my dad randomly decided to fix the battery connector cables and buy a new battery and fuses, he shows up. what are the chances? and he says he has the same engine in his mazda suv. what are the chances? we are so shocked. the car hasnt run in a year and a half, and randomly today we decide to mess with it. the SAME day he decides to show up and ask if he can buy the honda for the first time in at least 2 years. wow. If we didn't believe in God before, we sure as hell do now LOL"

Now, the thing is, we dont really have any money to get this car to his house. i want to make SURE its the fuel pump before i make any moves here. i tested the fuel pump relay's - all check out okay. no buzzing noise can be heard coming from the fuel pump when cranking or when turning the key to the ON position.. so im assuming the fuel pump isnt even moving at all. I tried hitting the gas tank with a rubber mallot to get it to spin, some people said that can temp make it work..it didnt. (though it was hard to find an opening to hit the actual tank as it has a protector over the tank) All the dash lights etc work now (not sure about the wipers, they went crazy so i unplugged them) and no smoke comes from the cabin (where the ecu and all the wiring is..) anymore when we start it. (weve started it a couple times and ran it off gas from a bottle, just to turn the AC on and get it running since it sat for so long..still cant believe the car even starts) but there still may be a shorted wire or something who knows. i dont know how to check if power is actually getting to the fuel pump. i have a multimeter but where would i test for power? any help here is much appreciated. my dad has a new car now and was going to junk this one. I'll be 16 next month and am willing to put money into it to get it running. Thanks

PS, car does have an oil leak and has had said oil leak for years.. not sure if its a common problem, just wanted to mention it. Thanks again!

PSS. We have a new battery, and battery terminal connectors. Me and my dad are willing to replace the fuel pump ourselves, as my dad does have some equiptment. (requires dropping tank).. Just want to make sure its the fuel pump and not something else. if its worth it, might as well just rent a uhual dolly for like 40 bucks and tow it over to Joel's house and let him fix it for a fee.. sorry for such a long post, I just wanted to make sure i provide every detail i can. thanks, yet again. lol

You could go to the local parts store and rent a fuel pressure tester and confirm the fuel pressure at the rail.  It's usually not good enough to pull the fuel line and stick it in a bucket.  The fuel pump rarely completely fails.  It usually pumps fuel, it just cannot maintain pressure anymore.

1 person likes this

yeah I'm now 99% sure its the fuel pump. did a couple more checks and everything points to the FP. so any instructions on how to go about replacing it? i know we have to remove the fuel tank and all but just wondering if anyone has any tips or guides. thanks

Here's the proper way to do it.  DJDevon posted these two videos as part of a series of videos about maintaining the 626.

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, RacerX said:

Here's the proper way to do it.  DJDevon posted these two videos as part of a series of videos about maintaining the 626.

Thanks man! :D

Yep, was going to post to those video links.  Just so you know, the fuel pump attaches to the fuel tank slightly differently for the 98-02 as compared to Djs 93-97.  Its pretty simple once you get the tank out  (just  8 or so small bolts) and is obvious.  The fuel pump is the same part# though.

If you want to test power the easiest way would be to get the electrical connector the goes to the top of the fuel tank.  Im pretty sure it comes out from the front side of the tank (as opposed to the 93-97 seems to come out the back side and goes above the rear lateral arms) but I cant remember exactly. But dont think there is a connector that is accessible (meaning you need to drop the tank to get to it and remove the connector from the pump).

i know this forum is a couple weeks old but i need more info on this, i still have the same problem. havent done anything with the car yet.  i tried banging on the tank (2000 mazda 626 lx v6) but theres some sort of tank shield (aluminum maybe?) covering the actual tank. also i cannot find a clear answer anywhere - is the pump supposed to prime when the key is set to the ON position or not in my model? or does it prime while cranking? also, checked all relays, theyre all good. fuses for the pump are good too. i put gas into the vacuum hose or throttle body whatever you wanna call it, and itll start up and idle perfectly fine. (i put gas in a bottle then put the hose in the bottle, car runs 100% good, ac works etc) then shuts off when i run out of gas in the bottle. now let me just say, the pump could have been burned out a year ago, or just sat for too long.. im not sure which. cause my dad made a dumb decision a year ago, he was going to take the car to the mechanic and see why the battery was swelling up, maybe alternator was overcharging it (it was the 3rd alternator though..) so he unplugged the battery while the car was running so it wouldnt swell up or explode on his way there (hes done this 100's of times to go to the store etc) but all the sudden the windshield wipers turned on, headlights flashed and twitched, fuses blew, smokey/burnt smell filled the cabin, and the car died.. we did NOT know you are supposed to NEVER do that. ever.. ever again..never. such a bad idea.  we havent tried working on the car until about a week ago (car sat for a year like i said since he did that with the batt cables), got a new batt and battery terminal connectors, and the 10a fuses kept blowing.. then out of no where this guy that hasnt showed up but twice in the past 8 years, name is joel, shows up (outta no where, biggest coincidence ever lol) and asks if he can buy my dads other car, and we ask if he knew anything about mazdas, he says yes so he takes some higher amp fuses (i know, dangerous) and puts them in the dash lights up me and my dad are shocked and he cranks it and it starts for about 2 sec then dies immediately. he tries to crank again and it hesitates to start, then smoke came out from under the dash, and we smelled the burnt smokey smell again, and he says we probably have a short or melted wire from when my dad removed the batt cables... btw windshield wipers were stuck on so he unplugged them. the headlights still dont work either, anyways hes like i think its your fuel pump get me some gas so we ran to get gas outta the garage , he put it in the throttle body and it started right up again. he says its your fuel pump man i can put a new one in for you, we said okay sounds great thanks so much for the help today. and we havent towed the car to his house yet or done anything as it all costs money - and i am scared to invest in it. he told me its just a fuel pump and he can find the short - someone else online told me the car was totaled and that im a complete idiot for putting fuel into the throttle body and that the gas was jello from sitting for a year and i probably "f***** it up" by not emptying it (even tho i put about half a tank of good gas in there..)... and from my knowledge, gas doesnt turn to jello from sitting for just a year.. especially considering there was only about 1/4 tank in there..so my questions are, can the fuel pump go bad from sitting for a year or did it blow when my dad disconnected the batt cables? am i a total idiot? is the car worth investing in? thanks. i know, its been one hell of a ride and very confusing.. cant seem to find anyone else thats had this happen. thank you for reading this.

I know i sound a little repetitive, but im concerned and confused as to what i should do next.. any help is much appreciated.  

just made that comment for anyone new here, i cleaned up the story/my problem so its faster/easier to read. thanks. bump.

As of what I can see this guy might be someone with knowledge, or just guessing. But he did get it running so I do believe he knows a bit.

A short in the wiring could be the reason for the wipers etc, so if he can find it then that would if you ask me be the hardest part. The fuel pump could easly have died from when your dad took of the battery cables, but it could also have been fucked after sitting for a year, hard to tell, maybe you can try and wire the pump straight to the battery, and then crank the engine. The 93-97 fuel pump does NOT prime (v6 and EU cars) with key on, I believe the 98-02 is just the same on that.

If you can get the car back up and running for a bit of cash, I would say it's worth it.

And check if yo got an access hatch to the fuel pump below the rear seats, the European version from 98-02 do.

Hey guys, sorry i havent responded in awhile. Thanks for the info and responses. Its finally getting cool/cold out which means i can work on the car without suffering a heatstroke (i live in Florida..) Anyways, my question is, how do i remove the freaking fuel lines going to the fuel pump?! I made my own access whole through the back seat, it took less then an hour to do with a hand held cutting tool (non electric, i didnt cut any lines or wires. i dont recommend doing this unless you know what youre doing. just saying), Now, i can see the top of the fuel pump harness, and ill attach the picture..just wanna know how to remove the gas lines so i can pull the harness out. Before i even do that though, now that i have access to these wires, can anyone give me some advice on what to do in order to check if the fuel pump is even getting any power? theres like 4-5 different wires going into the harness..as you can see in the pic. i have a multimeter, i just dont wanna cut any wires if i dont have too, thats why i was planning on removing the harness and just unplugging the pump and testing power at the connector..any advice is GREATLY appreciated..

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpeg

I believe you either push the green and red part of the plastic, or drag them in order for the lines to get of, but I do believe you drag them at the same time as you drag the hose the other way, but I've never had a car with those so I can't tell for sure.

As to test if it's getting power, there should be a plug somewhere close to the pump, DjDevon3 shows you how for his 95 in this video:

12:37 or so he shows the plug and how he does it.

Hope this helps!

11 hours ago, FIS said:

I believe you either push the green and red part of the plastic, or drag them in order for the lines to get of, but I do believe you drag them at the same time as you drag the hose the other way, but I've never had a car with those so I can't tell for sure.

As to test if it's getting power, there should be a plug somewhere close to the pump, DjDevon3 shows you how for his 95 in this video:

12:37 or so he shows the plug and how he does it.

Hope this helps!

Hey man, thanks for the reply!!! Joel happened to randomly appear again seemingly from heaven or something and pop the connectors off in 2 mins.. he ran a wire from the bat to the fuel pump to manually engage it and it didnt work! so we were 100% sure the pump was bad. went down to the local autoparts store and bought a car quest fuel pump, came with an adapter, no wire splicing, hooked it up, put everything back and BOOM, car starts and i ran it around the block. cant believe it runs after 2 years, i appreciate all of the help guys, these forums are great. now i have to put a new alternator in it, figure out why the headlights dont come on and why the wipers wont turn off, and now why suddenly the instrument cluster is dead in the water, including lights and gauges. (except for beeping noises and door open light..). Im so excited, just about a month ago i never thought id see this car run again..