Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
jbhobber

Passenger CV Axle - 2000 626 LX

Spent all day trying to get the passenger side axle out. To get to the bracket bolts seems almost impossible. Anyone experienced getting these bolts out and any tips on how to do it? Very little clearance to get to the 2 bolts holding the bracket to the engine block. Thanks.

I don't recall having trouble accessing those bolts. But then I done it with the car in the air on hoist from under the car.

Yep, I'm on the ground, and one of the bolts looks like I will need an extended 14mm open end wrench to get on it and get it out.

OK, here is what I see...the passenger side axle connects to the extension shaft right at the bracket. The bracket has 2 bolts holding it to the engine block. These 2 bolts (most brackets on other cars have 3 I think) are very difficult to get to as there is a lot of stuff in the way. Also at the bracket, it looks like the axle joins the extension shaft but is covered by some type of coupling that has 2 bolts, one at the bottom and one on top of the shaft. I can feel the one on the top, but can't really see it.

Question, do I take out the entire shaft assembly by removing the bracket bolts (somehow) and then separate the axle from the extension shaft, or do I take off the coupling and separate the axle from the extension shaft leaving the extension shaft in position inserted into the transmission? Or maybe if I remove the coupling, the entire shaft pulls out of the transmission? All the videos I have watched seem to indicate the whole shaft needs to come out, then separate the axle from the extension shaft while off the car. Thanks for all the help.

Im not able to find a better picture, but is this the part you are trying to get at?  The two bolts (three as pictured) holding the intermediate shaft bearing on?

If that is the case, if you can support the engine (with a jack and a block of wood under the oil pan for instance, or even better using an engine hoist), you can remove the cross member and getting at the bolts becomes much easier.  Tips other than that... just have to get in there with a wrench and get it off with elbow grease!

DSC02540w.JPG

20 minutes ago, jbhobber said:

Question, do I take out the entire shaft assembly by removing the bracket bolts (somehow) and then separate the axle from the extension shaft, or do I take off the coupling and separate the axle from the extension shaft leaving the extension shaft in position inserted into the transmission? Or maybe if I remove the coupling, the entire shaft pulls out of the transmission? All the videos I have watched seem to indicate the whole shaft needs to come out, then separate the axle from the extension shaft while off the car. Thanks for all the help.

You separate the shaft from the extension shaft. There's a drawing in the manual how to do it. You need the crossmember off first of all. That'll require supporting the engine with a block of wood under the transmission pan and a jackstand or regular hydraulic jack. Just don't try to lift the whole car like this.

Then from the driver's side, under the car, put a rod against the flange of the CV axle where it meets the extension shaft. Then pound that rod with a heavy hammer. It'll pop right out. Don't try to use an air hammer because it won't work. It's just held in by a circlip. You'll probably need to re-use that as the new circlips are too big. When you put the new axle in, make sure the shaft is greased up, line up the splines and pound it in. Make sure it clips in securely. When you pound it in, don't mushroom the end of the axle or else the axle nut won't go on. If you can, use a soft hammer. If you can't just be prepared to grind the end of that axle back into shape.

2 hours ago, GodSquadMandrake said:

You separate the shaft from the extension shaft. There's a drawing in the manual how to do it. You need the crossmember off first of all. That'll require supporting the engine with a block of wood under the transmission pan and a jackstand or regular hydraulic jack. Just don't try to lift the whole car like this.

Then from the driver's side, under the car, put a rod against the flange of the CV axle where it meets the extension shaft. Then pound that rod with a heavy hammer. It'll pop right out. Don't try to use an air hammer because it won't work. It's just held in by a circlip. You'll probably need to re-use that as the new circlips are too big. When you put the new axle in, make sure the shaft is greased up, line up the splines and pound it in. Make sure it clips in securely. When you pound it in, don't mushroom the end of the axle or else the axle nut won't go on. If you can, use a soft hammer. If you can't just be prepared to grind the end of that axle back into shape.

This.

Leave the half-shaft (extension shaft) bolted to the motor/transmission and remove the CV axle by prying it out of the half shaft.

A proper axle pry tool can help.  I've learned the hard way that using a generic pry bar (single leverage point) can bind the clip and make it very hard to remove the axle.  I have one of these slide hammers.

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-Inner-CV-Joint-Puller/dp/B000O825QU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470758504&sr=8-1&keywords=CV+axle+slide+hammer

One of these tools could work too.

https://www.amazon.com/Steck-71415-Axle-Popper-II/dp/B00O9FCECY/ref=pd_sim_263_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=31tGfaLXNxL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=F59QYFVEGJTBVP55GV7H

or

https://www.amazon.com/Steck-Manufacturing-71410-Axle-Popper/dp/B004IQMR8U/ref=pd_sim_263_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=31nnkUjg-sL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=QEBCVYG0XR9GYSJYBTGD