Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mazda626Jim

98 mazda 626 2.0l vin:c 98 2.0l Engine/Block replacement HELP!

4 posts in this topic

Hello, I will try and make this as brief as possible.

I have a 98 Mazda 626LX 2.0l, 5 Speed MT, 255K miles, Additioanal Info: California/Low emmisions motor

VIN: 1YVGF22CXW5747529

Because of smoking issues, it was suggested that the valve seals were warn. Making this as easy as possible I replaced the FS2 head w/ another FS2

(no distributor). Once the head job was finished, started the motor and all was fine except for the the additional smoke, even worse than before. It's suggested that with the replacement of the head , it has created more compression and forcing oil through or past the rings, is creating the added exhaust/(embarrassing) SMOKE. 

i am searching for suggestions, Money is short as usual, but will do what I have to do. I'm thinking, used engine(low mileage), remanufactured small block. Any help/suggestionjs is appreciated, including place to turn to for a motor.

Question: I've notice FS-DE, what does it mean? how do I determine what I have?

What's the difference between a AT and MT reagarding the motor/block?

Jim

Edited by Mazda626Jim
additional info of the motor and Questions

I've had reasonable luck with used $300 engines from Craigslist.  I've has bad luck with used JDM engines from an importer.

Pull the valve cover and inspect the top end.  It'll be a little brown and "roasty".  But, it shouldn't be caked with sludge.

If it's still in the car, ask to see it run or at least check the miles on the car.  If not, ask if they have run a compression test and get the numbers.  Lastly, get a "warranty".

Once you bring the motor home, bolt up the transmission and a starter while it's still on the garage floor and run a compression test yourself and make sure the numbers are in the serviceable spec before sending time installing it.  Pay attention to the relative numbers.  They should all be close.  If one is noticeably off, that is a bad sign.  Don't ignore it.

1 person likes this

I recently got a quote from a local shop that specializes in rebuilding motors.  They want $1300 for a rebuilt FS-DE 2.0.  That seems pretty reasonable for what it is.  However, this same shop sold me a rebuilt Toyota 22R engine 18 years ago.  They provided a new oil pump with it and left it to me to install it.  Apparently, the pump was for a slightly different year of that motor and it pulled the crank forward and put stress on the thrust bearings.  The motor seized before I had 100 miles on it.  So, rebuilt motors can go bad too.  

It's a crap shoot, but it's still better than a car payment ;-)

1 person likes this

Did you properly block off the hole for the distributor in the side of the new head?  The FS2 head originally came on the '93-'97 FS-DE motor with a distributor.  So, if you ordered one from a rebuilder/shop it's 95% likely that the head you received has this hole.  The hole is located behind the spot where your coils are mounted.  If you didn't block off this hole, it will blow oil on your coil and exhaust manifold causing a lot of white/blue smoke.