Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Mazda626Jim

98, 626, 2.0L, FS2 head replacement

Hi all, 

Newbie to the site... This weekend my best friend and I are swapping the head out of my 98 626.

Reason: bad valve seals, Norm(BF) said it would easier to swap the head.

The information that i am searching for is Timing Belt timing and Head bolt torque specs. My friend is a great mechanic and I wouldn't trust just anyone to do the job. With that being said... If anyone has done a head job on a similar car/motor, I would be greatful to hear(warnings and anything else you would like to add) from you..

In advance, Thank you!

Jim

98, Mazda, 626 2.0l FS2

When I bought the head, the shop said I must have a 2.2l.

You might have a problem. You and/or the shop are mixing motor identifiers and head stampings.  Can you post a pic of your motor and the head you purchased?  

You have a '98 2.0L FS-DE motor.  It should have a FS9 head on it and no distributor.  If that's the case, you should buy a rebuilt FS9 head for a 2.0L FS-DE motor, or you could buy a FS2 head for a 2.0L FS-DE motor and block off the hole for the distributor with a freeze plug or something like it.  It's possible it was late '97 built car and it has the FS2 head.  If so, it has a distributor and you will need to buy a rebuilt FS2 stamped head for the FS-DE 2.0L motor. 

Neither of these heads are not to be confused with the FS2 2.2L motor.  The head for that motor is not compatible.

RacerX, thank you replying so quickly!

The head has the stamp FS2 on the old head. When I ordered the replacement head they sent an FS9, I called them and said that the original stamp has FS2. It doesn't have a distributor. I sent it back and they sent the correct head.

The rebuilt head is at the shop, I won't be able to get those pictures until tomorrow. attached is pictures that I could get.

20160419_211240.jpg

20160419_211216.jpg

20160419_211233.jpg

You could have used the FS9 head.  It would have worked just fine and made a little more power.

The FS2 head you now have should have a hole for the distributor right where your coils mount.  You will have to plug this hole with a freeze plug or something similar.

Look here for the appropriate scanned factory service manual for your motor.  It will have the procedure to torque the head bolts.

http://www.pmx626.info/

BTW, you should definitely replace the timing belt while you have it torn down.  It's also a convenient time to replace the water pump before the seals go bad in your old one.  But, I could go either way on that one.