NDM

Feedback on upgrade post 4/1!

61 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, PrinceValorum said:

Here's a suggestion, instead of the bar on the right on the main page that has recent posts, what about showing threads in which there have been recent posts?  That would show a lot more content, rather than filling up the feed if one thread (like this one, for example), has a lot of activity suddenly.

Definitely agree with this.

There is some mention of picture links and such above, but I don't really understand.

In my build thread (

), all of the pictures I posted are now gone.  The ones that guys like DJ and Xeno posted are still there though.  Did I post them differently/wrong in the first place.  Can they be retrieved? 

I checked out your thread. When I click "Edit" on the very first post, it shows me several pictures that you uploaded. I clicked "save" (without making any edit) and they are appearing for me now. It is really odd that they aren't showing up automatically. Clearly the system recognizes you uploaded some pictures, but there is some step missing. We'll figure out what is going on.

On 8.4.2016 at 4:44 PM, PrinceValorum said:

Here's a suggestion, instead of the bar on the right on the main page that has recent posts, what about showing threads in which there have been recent posts?  That would show a lot more content, rather than filling up the feed if one thread (like this one, for example), has a lot of activity suddenly.

Amen!

On 4/8/2016 at 10:44 AM, PrinceValorum said:

16 hours ago, FIS said:

Amen!

On 4/8/2016 at 11:28 AM, thewheelerZ said:

Definitely agree with this.

Okay, I apparently have access to do this, so I added the thread feed, and set the number at 15.  Check it out and see how it looks.  I didn't remove the post feed, I just reduced it to 5 posts.  I wanted to make sure everything looked good before removing it, or we can decide on that later.

I also added some site info stuff at the bottom of the main page, which I thought was kind of fun stuff: who's online, the week's top contributors, total site statistics, etc.  Feedback?

Another thing I noticed, the site logo at the top, the "mazda626.net" seems kind of fuzzy, even on my 1280x800 laptop.  I definitely noticed it on the super crisp display on my phone.  A minor nitpick, obviously.  I was just wondering if the update defaulted to an older lower-res file or something.

Is it possible to change the order of the Latest Vehicles, Topics, and Posts on the right hand side of the home page?  I find it useful to see the latest posts and who posted them without scrolling down.

1 hour ago, RacerX said:

Is it possible to change the order of the Latest Vehicles, Topics, and Posts on the right hand side of the home page?  I find it useful to see the latest posts and who posted them without scrolling down.

How's that?  I put the garage section back on top where it was before.

I can't find a way to get the 'recent threads' to show the author of the most recent post, unfortunately.

42 minutes ago, PrinceValorum said:

How's that?  I put the garage section back on top where it was before.

I can't find a way to get the 'recent threads' to show the author of the most recent post, unfortunately.

If you can put the "Posts" above the "Topics", that would solve the problem of having to scroll down to see who recently posted.

23 minutes ago, RacerX said:

If you can put the "Posts" above the "Topics", that would solve the problem of having to scroll down to see who recently posted.

Okay, I switched the order, and restored the "Posts" to 15 entries.  My concern with having it in that order was that popular threads will dominate the feed, and not show a good overall picture of activity, but we can see how it works out.

Does anyone else have input on this?

I can't search specific forums. When I click on the forum, there's no search bar. I can only search the whole site but I want V6 specific information. I get 385,000 results when I search 'fuel injector removal v6'.

37 minutes ago, GodSquadMandrake said:

I can't search specific forums. When I click on the forum, there's no search bar. I can only search the whole site but I want V6 specific information. I get 385,000 results when I search 'fuel injector removal v6'.

There should be a menu/button that expands when you select search.

search_menu.png

25 minutes ago, XeNoMoRpH said:

There should be a menu/button that expands when you select search.

Ok I tried that and it seems to have worked. Thank goodness.

2016-04-20 12_28_27-1993-2002 (2.5L) V6 - Mazda626.net Forums.jpg

A couple notes, perhaps.

The latest threads on the right, i'd like to see them listed as "last post by", instead of the name of the person who created the thread. That way you can more easily see if it was recently updated.

Will sigs come back soon?

And I have a little issue with the avatar options. It's super hard to scale down pics, and even if you choose an outside link, it still has to be a certain size, which never works for me. Maybe it can be set to uploading or linking whatever picture you want but THEN you have to crop it.

Here is my avatar that I uploaded: 10293850_10205417980551518_3459104634625

With the upload option, you can crop. I suggest doing that as it will also guarantee the image is served under https.

That is also why signatures are still disabled since images cannot be guaranteed to be served via https. We could disable images and then only text signatures. Instead what we are trying to do is something similar to the image grabber we have for the forum, expect for signature images. They will be hosted here as opposed to outside sources.

Upload limit for me is 100Kb, and linking limit is " The file must be smaller than 0.09765625MB "

I can't use any picture I have.

Firstly, Updating/Editing Garaged vehicles doesn't work its asking for a database as a required field and the drop box has no options for it thus cannot update at all and Secondly the title to our Garaged vehicles has code on either side, <p>Mazda 626 Turbo</p> for example and no way to remove it.

When uploading an image for avatar, I can't: "1 file was larger than the maximum file size of 100.0448kb"

When linking an image from my photobucket, I can't: "The file must be smaller than 0.09765625MB."

Not the biggest deal, just super frustrating. The picture I'm trying to use is 286Kb. That's tiny AF. I just want to upload it and crop it.

oh wow, looks like i have some work to do. Thanks for the feedback everyone keep sending it all over, I'll get to it asap, much appreciated!

I don't get email notifications anymore, I used to right after the forum updated.

"Code" function is NEEDED when posting pictures, please get it back.

When I post to a topic it's not updating the sidebar that there's a new post.  This is a bit annoying as every time I visit which normally was like 50 times per day then it won't show me what topics I've recently posted to, or that have received a response... almost like the sidebar is set to update once every 5 minutes.  It's not updating automatically like the old forums used to and I find that a bit annoying.

Ah ya know what it is.  It doesn't show the person who last posted only the person who started the topic.  That's a bit uhh inefficient and confusing for those that post here a lot.

Sidebar is of a topic with recent activity instead of recent post.  Not a fan, at all.

I agree. That is what is currently at our disposal though. The other block which is more fixated on posts isn't desirable as it will display the same topic several times if there are sequential recent posts. We will have to find a plugin of some sort.

Just modify the current one to show who was the last poster?  I used to do that kind of thing all the time.  Duplicate the current block, rename it, and customize the code to your needs.