NDM

Feedback on upgrade post 4/1!

61 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, very interested in hearing feedback of the new site / theme upgrade. 

The site should also be much quicker, be sure to let me us know if your running into anything unexpected too!

This quick reply option sux now :(

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa175/Fred-Inge/Peugeot/IMG_0077_zpsloohis2h.jpg

(Photo button is gone "/)

IMG_0077_zpsloohis2h.jpg~original

It's at the bottom right corner, and it's slower to insert the image.
I also can't go into the "Source" code of this post, which I sometimes do if I post 10+ pics to easier navigate. (Think it was refered to as Raw Code or something)

The mobile version is definitely much quicker to load and less sluggish to respond to input...and best of all I can open links in a new tab.  The old mobile site overrode this context menu.

Thanks for your continued efforts to keep the site running.

1. I don't like the new searching, would like it to be more like the old one, could that be possible?

2. My worklog is broken! https://mazda626.net/topic/42607-fis-mazda-626-25l-gt the entire bottom section where I listed all the 626'es I've owned is gone?

3. Straight copying a link to the forums like the one above is not possible, instead it puts the first post in a quote it seem, now you got to press the Link button and paste it in.

But nr. 2 is my biggest concern!

hows mobile now after https? Also hows speeds internationally now? https slows the connection a little but http2 should help everyone rocking modern browsers. I'm still fighting a little lag in the backend of 200-300 ms, so just gotta track down the problem. But just curious how the site "feels" in real life, versus the numbers I'm seeing. 

FIS the page locations of posts may ahve changed, I believe the limit is higher for each board now per page, so it may have moved to a different page than you expected, can you take a closer look just to confirm its truly gone, if it is thats scary! We have plenty of backups, so ultimately we can get anything lost back most likely. 

If anyone finds broken images, send the links my way; I repaired something like 20,000 image urls to switch CDN's to one that supported https/ssl encryption. So something could have gone wrong. 

Ok so I think it was only text based, is there a possibility to bring the backup up in order for me to copy the text so I can put it back into the topic?

And would it be possible to raise the limit? either way I could NOT find the rest of the list I had, so if this happend to my topic then it might have happend to others too, but I also did have a tonload of text.

It appears our email addresses are not public when hovering over the avatar.  I don't think I had mine configured that way previously...

1 hour ago, PrinceValorum said:

It appears our email addresses are not public when hovering over the avatar.  I don't think I had mine configured that way previously...

I think thats only for admins and mods :smile:

12 hours ago, FIS said:

Ok so I think it was only text based, is there a possibility to bring the backup up in order for me to copy the text so I can put it back into the topic?

And would it be possible to raise the limit? either way I could NOT find the rest of the list I had, so if this happend to my topic then it might have happend to others too, but I also did have a tonload of text.

FIS, I'll have to take a look tomorrow. Thanks for letting me know, lets me know if you notice this elsewhere. I think the forum went from showing 16 to 25 posts per page, so it may have messed up where we thought things were. We may have to explore bumping it back down as 25 posts per page is quite a bit. But gotta fix the important stuff first!

On 4/3/2016 at 8:25 PM, snailman153624 said:

The mobile version is definitely much quicker to load and less sluggish to respond to input...and best of all I can open links in a new tab.  The old mobile site overrode this context menu.

Thanks for your continued efforts to keep the site running.

absolutely glad to help in the ways I can :). Is mobile performance still good for you after the https switch?

Don't like the layout, the colors (even after selecting the dark options), and don't like really anything about it. Can't select between BB code and auto when posting now?

Where did signatures go?

But that's just my negative personal opinion, I don't like change. Everyones efforts are always appreciated.

7 hours ago, Leev said:

Don't like the layout, the colors (even after selecting the dark options), and don't like really anything about it. Can't select between BB code and auto when posting now?

Where did signatures go?

But that's just my negative personal opinion, I don't like change. Everyones efforts are always appreciated.

Look and Feel: Leev don't worry your not alone. Some changes are so dramatically different because the company who built the forum software almost completely rewrote it from the ground up,  sorta like upgrading from windows 7 --> windows 10. Things got better, but certainly changed a bit. As far as colors/themes, I actually purchased a dark theme for the members who preferred the dark default, I'll install it this evening :smile:. Also dont forget about the brush at the top of the page can alter your theme for you!

BBcode: I think they axed BBcode for WYSIWYG to go html based for more flexability. Not quite sure though I'll look into it more. Also I'm going to get a custom addon built that allows attachments via fast reply. Whether i build it or someone else does it needs to be fixed, because agreed its problematic! 

Signatures: Because of the switch to https, I had to temporarily disable signatures, signatures in the future are ONLY allowed to be sourced from mazda626.net because of https (for your own security/anonymity/confidentiality) Many of the old ones point externally meaning they would have thrown errors for all browser users. Well get this fixed too!

sidenote is it just me or is the line spacing awful for paragraphs? I feel like the seperation between lines it pretty large, any thoughts? 

I thought it was a little big, but it seems different on mobile. Not sure. It seems that a single return creates a double space by default.

Suddenly I'm having the same old typing/keyboard issues I had years ago again on mobile. Not sure if that's on my end with SwiftKey or what. 

Thanks for reporting all this, keep it coming, going to get it on a list and prioritize.

Oh yeah, andddd the Dark theme is available!

On 6.4.2016 at 1:03 PM, NDM said:

sidenote is it just me or is the line spacing awful for paragraphs? I feel like the seperation between lines it pretty large, any thoughts? 

I tried to reply to this yesterday before the database crash, which I got Xeno to fix, but yes I agree.

We also discussed the "see code" in the reply function and how admins had it, would be neat to figure that out.

And the website was just loading the text without the theme etc like 10 min ago (16:02 GMT+1)

13 hours ago, NDM said:

Oh yeah, andddd the Dark theme is available!

This dark theme is pretty interesting!  I'll have to check it out on mobile.  

Looks great on mobile, too.  I have to say, I really enjoy the fact that I'm not inundated with requests to install some dumbass tapatalk app before I get to the mobile site.

1 hour ago, PrinceValorum said:

This dark theme is pretty interesting!  I'll have to check it out on mobile.  

Looks great on mobile, too.  I have to say, I really enjoy the fact that I'm not inundated with requests to install some dumbass tapatalk app before I get to the mobile site.

What is wrong with grape and watermelon? :o

How can i write posts in full screen and not the useless litte window in the bottom?
Impossible to write posts containing images in it, esp when "code mode" is removed :)

Otherwise good upgrade, better security, more effective stuff!

1 hour ago, Zepticon said:

Impossible to write posts containing images in it, esp when "code mode" is removed :)

So Admin only then, not including mods.

2 hours ago, Zepticon said:

I just posted the link to the image address and it embedded itself. No code required!

FIS, can you see if Zep edited his post? Does it display that for regular members, too? 

Dark theme, epic. Now I'm happy. I'm very petty, as long as I have my precious dark themem I can adjust to change.

The line spacing is fantastic. I'm a huge fan. Just need sigs back and I think it will be back to normal for me.

1 hour ago, Leev said:

Dark theme, epic. Now I'm happy. I'm very petty, as long as I have my precious dark themem I can adjust to change.

I noticed yesterday quickly poking around that some of the text was still black, which made it difficult to see.  I think the one example I remember was "cmd + right click" on the quote box in the reply box, an option panel popped up and I couldn't read the options until I hovered over them.

17 hours ago, FIS said:

What is wrong with grape and watermelon? :o

Am I missing something here?  Lol

3 hours ago, PrinceValorum said:

Am I missing something here?  Lol

Well, I can tell you I'd rather be forced to size a grape than a watermelon after swallowing one whole.

Here's a suggestion, instead of the bar on the right on the main page that has recent posts, what about showing threads in which there have been recent posts?  That would show a lot more content, rather than filling up the feed if one thread (like this one, for example), has a lot of activity suddenly.