Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
sailorbob

How To Get Out The Passenger Side Cv / Half Axle?

I've got a 98 626 GF 2L ( European ) and while I was able to get the shaft out of the hub with a hub puller, I'm unable to get the other end out of the intermediate shaft bearing / joint / support whatever it's called.  In the Haynes manual it just says pry it out with a screwdriver or pry bar.  The only relevant video I could find showed the entire axle being removed, including the intermediate shaft and support bearing all as one piece.  However, that won't help me since I want to replace the inner CV boot.

I also looked in the 98 European WSM and here is a blown out view:

post-34383-0-57527500-1456848273.png

Here are the instruction I followed to no success:

post-34383-0-50318200-1456848328_thumb.p

I also tried prying it out with small crow bar, about the length of my arm, with no success.

Any tips or ideas?  Would a photo help?

Like the manual said, you should be able to tap the cv joint off the inner axle with a hammer,  To take the inner cv joint apart, you first have to remove the old dust boot and than remove the clip inside of it. The clip prevents the axel falling out of the cv joint.

Yet I was unable to knock it out.  I did exactly like in the second picture, step 4.  I'm looking for suggestions on how to proceed.  Maybe I just didn't hammer on it long enough?

In order to get them apart on my V6, I had to put the axle in a vice, and pound on it with a 5lb sledge hammer.  Even then, it took several hard blows to pop it loose.

rotate the axle a bit and try again. if it won't come loose, rotate it again and tap it again.

that worked for me.

if it's really stuck, you can also take the cv-joint apart on the car. bit greasy, but can be done.