Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
NDM

Mazda Server Build, Ssd's Up! Big Image Warning (5Mb+ Each&#33

Oh Hi there, a few boxes arrived.

HeyUs0f.jpg

As you can see my assistant Remy is performing standard QC inspection of vital components . . . like the cardboard box.

hOFComf.jpg

QC Passed! All the parts:

MMKRBJq.jpg

SSD ASSSEMMMMBLLLLEEE:

YrbeS5V.jpg

Some neat close up shots for fun. 

Angle-1

Nxjh4F0.jpg

Angle 2

8B870E2.jpg

Angle-3

KAJG7RI.jpg

Summary:

Unboxed, updated firmware, and mock4x Samsung 850 evo's are being shipped down to the server in NC, along with a snazzy raid card that can give us 2gb/s readwrite. :) Performance and reliability will be stellar. Reads will be 4x faster and writes up to 20x faster. About $450 in parts, but TOTALLY worth it. I'll keep you all posted when they are installed.

• Like 2

Drool.  That's some high quality hardware.  What model raid card did you use?  I'd like to look into that.

yeah its pretty decent, Im happy with the upgrade cause it should bump us up to todays tech in terms of capable speeds.

part of me wishes I went with the "pro" model for better durability for a server environment, however I've had 2 evo's myself and 1 in a customer's computer and all have been superb for reliability. Raid 10 should compensate for the lower durability of the evo vs the pro though, we can lose literally half of each subset (pair of drives) and still be functional :). Much more durable than our current raid 0 on 2 crucial m4s (which Xeno warned me we should get away from ASAP for long run reliability)

raid card is a LSI 9260 4i

and with IPBoard 4 ready, its going to be a fun few months here :) 

You're on raid 0?  Yeah go with 10 for server environments if possible.  Probably won't notice much difference in performance other than M4 vs Evo but the redundancy is so much better.

• Like 1

yeah, soooo true. Well the nice thing about raid 10 is you get speed benefits and redundencybenefits from strapping them all together. We should see ~2gb/s read and ~1gb/s write :) via the pci-e bus.