Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
sailorbob

On 98+ What Does The Camshaft Sensor Read

On the 98+ 2L's, what does the camshaft position sensor read, the camshaft gear teeth, or that bump on the camshaft that goes by once per revolution?

I trying to figure out how often I should see the sensor switching from low to high on my scan tool.

OK, so at 600 rpm idle and camshaft running half speed, I should see the bump go by on a scan tool or oscilloscope about 5 times per second - i.e. the signal should go high about every 200 milliseconds?  So even if I'm getting a data sample every 75ms I should see it with no problem I think.

I checked the resistance, and it's 1116 ohms which is in spec, but when I monitor it in my scan tool it's low almost all the time, with occasional spike where it goes high.  So I'm wondering if my scan tool is accurately reporting what the sensor is doing, or if the sensor is actually defective.

1116 Ohms seems high, although I don't know the spec for the cam sensor, just the crank sensor (although I imagine they would be similar...).  Crank is supposed to be ~550 Ohms.

However, if your scan tool is just sampling at 75 ms, it may never see it.  It doesn't output a square wave, it outputs an impulse.  You need an analog scope of very high-rate digital scope to see it.  Yes, it should be a 200 ms period at idle, but again, it won't stay reading a voltage for more than a fraction of that 200 ms window.

Spec for the cam sensor is between 950 to 1250 ohms according to the Haynes manual for 98+ 2L.

I don't suppose you might know of any cheap pc compatible usb scopes?

Low Cost Scope. This may be late but someone wil see it eventually.

http://www.amazon.com/1008C-Automotive-Diagnostic-Oscilloscope-Programmable/dp/B00BSR98KW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456189706&sr=8-1&keywords=automotive+oscilloscope

about $88 bucks and has presets for screen and trigger setup for the various sensors in your car, which may or may not apply to the actual sensors in your car.

I have a higher end scope I use for hardware design I do at home, I use it on my car as well.

OK, so at 600 rpm idle and camshaft running half speed, I should see the bump go by on a scan tool or oscilloscope about 5 times per second - i.e. the signal should go high about every 200 milliseconds?  So even if I'm getting a data sample every 75ms I should see it with no problem I think.

I checked the resistance, and it's 1116 ohms which is in spec, but when I monitor it in my scan tool it's low almost all the time, with occasional spike where it goes high.  So I'm wondering if my scan tool is accurately reporting what the sensor is doing, or if the sensor is actually defective.

Had the same problem, hooked up the signal to a scope. Looked fine, but when i took a closer look, i noticed, the signal wasn't very steady. It didn't stay triggert.

End of story was, that the camshaft sensor mist a pulse so now and then, and pulled a code on the ECU.