djdevon3

Ignition Switch Recall (1993-1997)

8 posts in this topic

You will undoubtedly hear in the coming days and weeks about a recall for the 1989-1998 Mazda MPV, 323, 626, 929, MX-3, MX-6, and Protege.  This is NOT a hoax.  This affects all 1993-1997 GE chassis Mazda 626's.

Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/foreign/2015/10/22/mazda-recall/74381724/

Road & Track: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a27119/your-25-year-old-mazda-beater-just-got-recalled-for-a-fire-risk/

==============================================================================================

Official Recall Issued by the US National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA)

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report Receipt Date: OCT 19, 2015
NHTSA Campaign Number: 15V674000
Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer: Mazda North American Operations

SUMMARY: Mazda North American Operations (Mazda) is recalling certain model year 1989-1998 MPV 1990-1995 323 1990-1998 Protege 1992-1993 MX-3 1993-1995 929 1993-1997 MX-6 1993-1998 626 In the affected vehicles, grease applied to the contact points inside the ignition switch may become conductive and overheat.

CONSEQUENCE:

If the ignition switch overheats there would be an increased risk of a fire.

REMEDY:

Mazda will notify owners, and dealers will replace the ignition switch, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin December 15, 2015. Owners may contact Mazda Customer Experience Center at 1-800-222-5500, option#6. Mazda's number for this recall is 8715J.

NOTES:

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

UPDATE:

As of 10/19/2016 the recall is now worldwide.  Attached is an image of VINs both US and EU models that are under the recall. 

Mazda 626 Recall EU VINs.jpg

Mazda has started sending out letters to the known last addresses of owners in attempts to contact them.  Here is a transcript of the recall letter I received in the mail this week.

IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL

Ignition Switch May Overheat - Safety Recall 8715J

NHTSA Campaign No. 15V-674

December 2015

This notice applies to your vehicle: VIN (your vin here)

Dear Mazda Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffice and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Mazda Motor Corporation has decided that a defect which relates to the motor vehicle safety exists in certain vehicles listed below:

1990-1995 3223 vehicles produced from May 30, 1989 through April 21, 1995

1990-1994 Protege vehicles produced from May 9, 1989 through August 28, 1995

1992-1993 MX-3 vehicles produced from July  30, 1991 through August 31, 1993

1993-1998 626 vehicles produced from September 1, 1992 through March 31, 1998

1993-1997 MX-6 vehicles produced from September 1, 1992 through May 30, 1997

1993-1995 929 vehicles produced from September 1, 1992 through April 26, 1995

If you are a recipient of this notice, your vehicle is included in this recall.

What is the problem?

On certain subject vehicles, due to an excessive amount of grease at the contact points inside the ignition switch, the grease may carbonize and accumulate between the contact points, reducing the electrical insulation performance inside the switch.  As a result, continuous use may lead the contact points to become conductive and overheat the switch, resulting in smoke, and increasing the risk of a fire.

What will Mazda do?

Your Mazda dealer will replace the ignition switch with a modified one, free of charge.

However, replacement parts for this repair are not currently available.  When the replacement parts are available, we will send you another notification to make an appointment with an authorized Mazda dealer to have the ignition switch replaced.

What should you do?

Please wait until you receive another letter from Mazda informing you that the modified ignition switches for the repair are available.

If your Mazda exhibits any of the following, immediately stop driving the vehicle and contact your Mazda dealer.

• Smoke or abnormal odor from around the ignition switch when starting the engine.
  • Starter remains engaged after starting the engine

What if you already paid for ignition switch repair?

If you have already paid for repair or replacement of the electrical ignition switch due to a defect with the switch, prior to receiving this notice, you may be eligible for reimbursement of reasonable repair expenses based on Mazda repair standards.  Please complete the enclosed reimbursement form and mail it in the per-addressed envelope provided.

Where is my closest Mazda dealer?

To locate your nearest Mazda dealer, visit our website at www.MazdaUSA.com or consult your local yellow pages.

Moved or no longer own this vehicle?

Please complete the enclosed prepaid Information Change card as soon as possible.  This enables us to update our records and notify the current owner.

Federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.

Still have questions?

If you have any questions regarding this campaign, please contact our Customer Experience Center at (800) 222-5500, option #6.

If Mazda or its dealers do not repair the defect free of charge and within a reasonable amount of time, you may notify the Administration of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave., SE., Washington, DC 20590; or call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY; 1-800-424-9153); or go to http://www.safercar.gov

Your safety and satisfaction are a priority for Mazda. We actively work to improve our products and search for solutions to improve your ownership experience.  We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this recall may cause you.

Sincerely,

Mazda North American Operations.

Mazda 626 GF 2002 Auto.

Guys I'm from Fiji islands and currently holidaying in Sydney.

I have the above car in Fiji islands

And on it I have a bad ECU # FS2P-18881-C.

I have had no success in finding the above ECU

Thanks for the PSA about this recall, djdevon3. In MN, I got notice today that the part(s) are now available in my area. In the 5 years I've owned my '97 626, I haven't noted any flakiness from the ignition switch, but I've got an appointment for the complimentary recall service on Friday. I trust that the industry has learned from GM's mistakes, such that the replacement won't be a gamble...

Regardless, thanks again.

It has only happened like 1 or 2 times afaik, but they would rather fix it than having a huge lawsuit against them I guess. I have as you never heard about any problems with this ignition switch before, but I guess the chances of it catching fire is there and that they would not like to risk it.

Updated topic with a video I found online of the issue.  Shows the issue perfectly and what to expect should this issue crop up in your 626.  Don't panic just shut the car off and disconnect the battery then call Mazda to come pick up the vehicle for service.  Yes most dealerships will pick it up if there is a fire hazard but make sure they will do so for free.  Honestly, everyone should call Mazda and have their ignition switches changed with an updated version anyway, it's free anyway.

This recall has now expanded to some European countries.  Look at the newly attached graph of VIN's to see if your vehicle is included.

I can confirm that this recall is also applicable for cars sold in Australia - I got a letter from Mazda Australia advising me to call my local dealer to book it in to have the ignition switch replaced. Did it a couple of weeks ago.