deltagi

I4 To V6 Klze Swap

23 posts in this topic

Hey guys I have a few questions about my Mazda 626 2002. 

1) I want to swap out my i4 for a V6 KLZE and was wanting to make sure all the engine mounts would work just fine.

2) Is it possible to get engine harness and everything else needed to make the V6 work, without getting a donor car? Like maybe a Mazda Dealer Ship. (or does all the wiring already match, im gonna assume no)

3) I want to swap it to a manual transmission, but will my i4 trans work with the KLZE V6 for now?

Thanks everyone, I plan to make an entire video on my swap and how to do it for Mazda 626 Lovers, but I just need to make sure this is all possible first.

Alt+MAlt+N

Hi.

If your car was from the 93-97 era the swap would be easier, but I'm going to help you out with some info.

1. The engine mounts I'm not 100% sure of, but I am like 70% sure they aren't indentical.

2. Yes it's possible to get everything needed without a donor car, but you would be better of with one, I don't think Mazda sells the harnesses anymore, but you can always find a guy parting out a car.

3. Swapping it to a manual transmission is ok, your i4 ATX trans will NOT fit directly, a spacer and some other work will be needed.

Now, here is what I would do.

The KLZE uses a distributor, same as any of the 93-97 cars, but the 98-02 uses a coilpack which is more reliable, so if I where you I would get the following:

A complete harness from a 98-02 Mazda 626 KLG4 (That's the 98-02 v6 engine)

KLZE engine

Use the coilpack on the ZE, make a custom CMP sensor

Use the rest of the sensors from a KLG4

A KL transmission

At first you could just get the ATX car and start there.

If you do it this way, you would be getting the most optimal engine, with the best OEM controlling system.

And the 93-97 harness does not fit your car without alot of modifications.

Ok for things to get, is the 98-2002 KLZE different from the 93-97?

Also how hard is it to remount a engine, or add new engine mounts?

and for the custom sensor, is there premade? probably not but just wondering

and is it possible to use the wire harness from a i4 and add to it for the new engine?

Alt+MAlt+N

- Get a 98+ donor car with a blown KLG4 V6 engine.
- Take the electrical harness from that and move to your car (Engine, fender and dash)
- Strip the KLZE engine down so its only the engine itself, with heads left.

- Pull the broken KLG4, and strip down to, move all the parts over to the KLZE engine (including camshaft sensor)
- Mount the KLZE engine in the car, connect it all

Doing the I4 to V6 swap is very hard and expensive without a donor car. You will probably have to pay more in parts alone as for the complete donor car.

I did this on the 93-97 version myself, and the donor car was a must have.

Ok sounds good, I found a donor car that has everything I need will cost like $1700 including shipping, and so far I have leads on a engine harness and dash, but not the fender yet. I think someone has a issue with their speedometer cluster, so I found a few for around $20. The engine will be about $700.

So far it will be around $800, but the ill need a new transmission, which I gonna try to get for a deal for $1000 including engine. So far $1100. Are there any other part issues? like oil lines and plumbing?

But im considering just buying a V6 LX 2002 626, its in auction and only has some minor door damage, and I can just use my 626's doors. So im considering doing that and a little afterward just ripping out the engine and replacing it with a KLZE. But at a minimum that can cost me around $1700...

Which option sounds best?

The second one is almost guaranteed to work , and will be less work overall. But it will cost more like $2500 for everything... so im not sure which one is best.

Thanks!

Alt+MAlt+N

If your current car works, I would sell it, then use the money to buy a 93-97 car with mtx and a (ideally non-working) V6, then swap in a KLZE. Cheaper and easier.

If your current car works, I would sell it, then use the money to buy a 93-97 car with mtx and a (ideally non-working) V6, then swap in a KLZE. Cheaper and easier.

+1 on this plan.  Work smarter/cheaper not harder/more expensive.

If there are some parts (interior, wheels, etc) of your current 626 that you want to swap to the new 626, keep the current car, float the cost of the new car with broken/ragged out V6 and JDM motor, and sell the current 626 once you get the new setup running.  It's the cheapest and easiest way to skin this cat.

My car is actually broken, blown engine, but I am gonna try to get a new car thats dead for $500, or all the parts I need off of a junked one.

Alt+MAlt+N

Ok so update: I can get all the parts  I need. There is a dead car in a scrap yard that I called.

Part List:

Mazda Engine: $200

Mazda Dash: $150

Speedometer: $75

Fender Harness: $?

Radiator: $75

So far it will be way cheaper to keep my car and not buy a donor. Though I won't have every single possible part, I will have the ones needed.

Now I think im going to get the KLZE, check engine mounts, and see what other parts I will need. But It should in the end be cheaper, but a little more labor intensive.

Alt+MAlt+N

I don't think anyone can tell you exactly what you need.  It's a lot of little parts like significant portions of the wiring harness under the dash and under the hood (fender), ECU, engine sensors, engine accessories like the throttle body or power steering pump/hoses, hoses, radiator fans, shrouds, motor mounts, exhaust manifolds, collector pipes, catalytic converter, other exhaust system parts, transmission, clutch master cylinder, clutch pedal/linkage, etc.  Then there are other parts that may or may not work like the instrument cluster, fuel pump/lines/filter, etc.

Trying to do this with parts sourced from the junkyard will nickle and dime you to death, not to mention the significant number of trips required to get that one more part that you didn't know you needed.  A complete donor makes it easier and cheaper in the end.  Better yet, start with a car that already has a V6 in it and swap your good parts like interior and wheels.

Ok so I think im gonna fix my i4, sell the car, and get a V6 LX version of my car. But it is very hard to get the manual version. So is it easy to swap transmission?

I'm not sure where you are located, but here in Dallas a V6 standard transmission 626 pops up in Craigslist about once or twice a month.  With a little patience, you can find what you want.

Doing a manual swap is easier than the I4 to V6 swap.  But it still takes a number of parts and possibly a different ECU and harness.  I am not sure about the V6's, but I know the ECU's were different between the '93-'96 2.0L manual and auto 626s.  You'll have to research the 626 you are considering.

Search the site here, DJDevon3 posted a thread about swapping a manual for his auto transmission in his 2.0L 626.  The V6's will be a little different, but the scale of the work is the same.

I'm pretty sure that the only major differense is the ATX related parts and the ECU's, and I believe that if you swap a ATX transmission for a MTX one, installing all the MTX related parts I'm pretty sure you could just swap ECU's for the codes to go away.

But it would be smarter to do it this way anyway, or atleast start there, as a I4 to v6 swap is much worse than a ATX to MTX swap.

For an ATX swap you can make a harness that pretends to be the ATX transmission. Its just a timer switch that pretend to put the car in Neutral after 1 sec when you turn the key.

For an ATX swap you can make a harness that pretends to be the ATX transmission. Its just a timer switch that pretend to put the car in Neutral after 1 sec when you turn the key.

For an ATX swap he will need te ECU to controll the ATX trans :P But for a MTX swap he can do that :)

But I am pretty sure he can just swap to a MTX ECU and run a ATX harness.

On 9/14/2015 at 8:34 AM, FIS said:

If your car was from the 93-97 era the swap would be easier, but I'm going to help you out with some info.

I actually have a 4cyl 1996 mazda 626 mtx and I was also thinking of putting a KLZE or DE into mine. Which one do you think would be a better and or smarter move? I was thinking the DE cause jspec engines seem 50/50. I was also wondering what transmission i would have to get to match them. If anyone can help. I'm actually about to start this, but it would be my first engine swap so I would definitely like to upgrade to the V6 but would also like something that is more direct fit and a bit easier for a rookie. To my understanding both engines were found in my year mazda so it should be simple right? other then a wiring?

On 23.11.2017 at 10:34 PM, Jayyb said:

I actually have a 4cyl 1996 mazda 626 mtx and I was also thinking of putting a KLZE or DE into mine. Which one do you think would be a better and or smarter move? I was thinking the DE cause jspec engines seem 50/50. I was also wondering what transmission i would have to get to match them. If anyone can help. I'm actually about to start this, but it would be my first engine swap so I would definitely like to upgrade to the V6 but would also like something that is more direct fit and a bit easier for a rookie. To my understanding both engines were found in my year mazda so it should be simple right? other then a wiring?

If I where you I'd scratch that idea and just buy a KL powered car. Doing such a swap requires tons of work, money and patience.

But if you'd like to do so, get a full donor car that you can swap everything over from. going KLDE would be the easiest, and you can always swap for a KLZE later.

6 hours ago, FIS said:

If I where you I'd scratch that idea and just buy a KL powered car. Doing such a swap requires tons of work, money and patience.

But if you'd like to do so, get a full donor car that you can swap everything over from. going KLDE would be the easiest, and you can always swap for a KLZE later.

Damn yeah the car has sentimental value to the fam and its soooooo clean so i was gonna do it but im not really that down. Thanks alot tho i appreciate it.

15 hours ago, Jayyb said:

Damn yeah the car has sentimental value to the fam and its soooooo clean so i was gonna do it but im not really that down. Thanks alot tho i appreciate it.

In that case, get a complete donor, swap every part needed and you'll be set. What parts you need to swap can easily be found by searching. There is topics already covering this.