Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
ND28

Nd28's Venom 92 Mx6 Gt Turbo Build

While I haven't been too active in the forums, I never stopped wrenching on my cars or helping my friends on their cars.

A diamond in the rough popped up on FB and the seller lived close by, I just had to snatch up such rare car to find(plus I need boost in my life haha).

I'm the lucky new owner of a Black 1992 Mazda MX-6 Gt with the 2.2L Turbo and its manual   :w00t:

Has 234k miles, needs new motor mounts, A/C compressor and struts/shocks. 

Runs and drives fine, 1st gear is no fun with broken motor mounts :P but the turbo spools strong.

Replaced/Installed so far:  new NGK plugs, wires(generic), disty cap & rotor , oil change Mobil1 Full synthetic , Glow Shift Boost gauge, Spectre cone filter.

Awaiting arrival of:  all 4 motor / tranny  mounts which I'll be filling with windoweld,  fuel filter, O2 sensor.

Went to the junkyard today and found an 89 MX6 (base model)and grabbed a few interior bits and miscellaneous engine bay pieces . I wanna go back and grab the front bumped reinforcement of that car, mines is cracked. 

Finally getting my hands dirty with an F2T  :biggrin: !!!

Let's start this thread with a bang

Nice. How does it compare to your KL? Also, stock is a BPV, not a BOV. BPVs make more sense anyway...

• Like 1

That's sooo cool Andy.  What made you decide to get it?  Really pretty black paint job.  I'm jealous and can't wait to see it in person.

Looks like the vacuum sits a little low?

Shame about the center tail light being blacked out, the 90-92s came with all red rear tails, looks really nice bone stock IMO.

Track down some rear mudguards and complete the exterior options :)

I think you'll find the F2T to be a never ending money pit of performance and suspension upgrades. Not that there's really anything wrong with that. The satisfaction that comes from each change is exponential.

Nice. How does it compare to your KL? Also, stock is a BPV, not a BOV. BPVs make more sense anyway...

Feels like a truck engine with a Turbo haha, pulls nicely but doesn't Rev very high, KL is more gradual and can Rev to the sky. Completely different power band I like me both, it's a nice contrast.

That's sooo cool Andy.  What made you decide to get it?  Really pretty black paint job.  I'm jealous and can't wait to see it in person.

1. They are stooopid rare

2. unheard-of ultra low price

3. OK shape

4. Boooost!!!!!

Looks like the vacuum sits a little low?Shame about the center tail light being blacked out, the 90-92s came with all red rear tails, looks really nice bone stock IMO.Track down some rear mudguards and complete the exterior options :)I think you'll find the F2T to be a never ending money pit of performance and suspension upgrades. Not that there's really anything wrong with that. The satisfaction that comes from each change is exponential.

I may have boost/vacuum leak (s) ... I know man that's the first thing I noticed the all red GT tails were night shaded :(

F2T is awesome!

Replaced the motor mounts with new ones and filled them with Windoweld, much better now! I just couldn't get the passenger side to fit seem the holes don't line up, Rock auto must had sent me the wrong mount idk

All 4 new mounts nice and cleaned /prepped for windoweld filling
post-25546-0-82464800-1432185456_thumb.j

Let the filling begin!
post-25546-0-42401400-1432185537_thumb.j

All done, nice and solid . Let cure for 2 days
post-25546-0-64363400-1432185602_thumb.j

Passenger side mount, new vs old. New does not fit >:-(
post-25546-0-44953200-1432185672_thumb.j

Pic of the Efini steering wheel mounted and with working horn
post-25546-0-13403900-1432185755_thumb.j

Steering wheel install video:

http://youtu.be/pL9D_bYu1CY

20150510_204307.jpg

20150510_211059.jpg

20150510_222208.jpg

20150516_202932.jpg

20150520_222053.jpg

Old bumper reinforcement and brakets need to go(no i didn't crash cus too much Booooost lol, I bought the car like that)

post-25546-0-90483800-1432849683_thumb.j

Everything is bent, gonna have to pull it

post-25546-0-24685000-1432849819_thumb.j

New/used 89 reinforcement with brakes instead

post-25546-0-84175300-1432850021_thumb.j

Gave the old intercooler a little polish, boredom i tell ya

post-25546-0-54762200-1432850291_thumb.j

and a little fun in the tunnel ;)

Nice buy!  Congrats.

This is going to be a cool thread, I can tell already.  Cant wait to see more.

Thanks man!

Just got an external mic, here's some turbo spool and bvp sounds

http://youtu.be/IaHkdPLC_lE

* Re-drilled bolt holes on the bumper support/reinforcement , now is nice and secured to the brakets .

* Fixed the broken bumper foam(glued and aluminum tape, good as new)

* lined up headlights, one had to use a longer boltand nut to bing the hearlight forward due to bent bracket/rad support . Now they are nice and straight with the bumper.

* installed an 89 MX6 front lip below the 92 factory molded one (GT)

* reinstalled bumper

Happy with the end result :)

Double lip

post-25546-0-62015200-1433199055_thumb.j

M-Fab (Matt Mass) custom O2 housing stainless steel with separate port for the wastegate "divorced wastegate " with 2.5" exit

and MjSpiess88 2.5" stainless mandrel bent down pipe with flex pipe and wrapped up in DEI titanium exhaust wrap.

this is a nice performance upgrade over the crapp factory setup 1.75" pipes ;)

post-25546-0-60871100-1448749513.jpg

Pic off the forums for comparison

post-25546-0-19927300-1448749566_thumb.j

With down pipe

post-25546-0-26544300-1448864293_thumb.j

post-25546-0-43985100-1448864332_thumb.j

Shit, how come I ain't subscribed to this thread? Damn I missed some nice pics and vids :P

• Like 1

I noticed when I installed mine, my wastegate no longer opened fully. Due to fitment issues, or too much material in the dump flange. I was forced to run 22-24 Psi. Which was fun, but ultimately, detrimental to the car.

Car looks and runs great! you'll be pleased by the results of that o2 housing and own pipe, really wakes the car up. I have to wrap mine next time I pull things apart. 

• Like 1

Thanks PrinceV!

I did a few more videos that I forgot to post here.

I rebuilt my Blown VJ11 turbo with a turbine wheel/shaft and compressor wheel/housing off a 1988 Thunderbird Turbo coupe:

.... And here is a good comparison between the stock down pipe with a 2.5" stainless mandrel bent down pipe made by Mjspiess :

...and lastly a quick time-lapse video of reassembling the now VJ11 Tbird Hybrid  Turbo :biggrin:

Got an adapter off eBay made for a 2.25" OD 2 Bolt Turbo Inlet Flange For T25 T28 GT25 GT28

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380345781438?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

To use in tbird inlet.

Turbo is finished and ready to go back in the car, also got all the necessary gaskets for the manifold,etc...

IMAG0220.jpg

I'll be running a 3" magnaflow resonator after the down pipe. Got lucky and found a 2.5"-3" adapter with a bung (perfect for wideband)

IMAG0222.jpg

IMAG0224.jpg

These can be found here on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111516853213?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I also sent out my ECU to get socketed and chipped to Rob Lentz . Will be running a Probinator chip to rid of boost-cut so I can turn it up to 15 psi :w00t::w00t:

Stay tuned , there's more to come...

The Probinator advances timing so keep an eye on that, probably not too much of an issue if you're only going to 15Psi.

Did you get the turbo shaft balanced after the wheel install? And how come you still have the boost solenoid on there? You can ditch it if you plan on running a MBC of any kind. Although it looks like the rubber vac hose has been replaced, was there a brass restrictor in there? It's a good idea to keep that in there to prevent any boost spikes.

Why the resonator?

And lastly, is that liquid gasket on the manifold, O2 housing and inlet flange.....?

So it turns out the Tbird turbine oil seal groove on the shaft is worn out(sent to get it balanced) so I need a new Turbo.

Bought a brand new VJ11 CHRA housing from am eBay seller in England, it's complete and already balance all I gotta do is slap on my VJ11 compressor housing and exhaust housing and be done with it, wished I had thought of that before I even bothered to rebuild the Turbo myself.

Yes I still have the brass restrictor for the waste gate signal line and will be running the Forge MBC in place of the oem one.

Want to see if the resonator will rid of the horrible rasp. Most likely will do side exit exhaust in front of the rear wheel.

Once the car is up and running again(can't wait!) I need to find a preexisting vacuum/boost leak.

Here the promised video and description of my new Center housing for the F2T :

Long story short, My 1992 Mazda MX6 GT 2.2 turbo blew; I bought a rebuild kit for the IHI VJ11 and rebuilt the internals, my original compressor and turbine wheels had axial play and moved in/out and got shaven down significantly so they're useless now. Found a 1988 Ford ThunderBird Turbo coupe at the junkyard and took its Turbine wheel/shaft(same as the VJ11) compressor wheel and housing as an upgrade to my Turbo.
Sent it out to get balanced and after cleaning it the shop calls me back to let me know the turbine seal ring groove is too worn out and it will leak oil into the exhaust housing so it's no good!

After All this time and effort I still have no usable turbocharger for my car.
At this point I'm feeling fairly hopeless but then a light bulb lit on top of my head, no literally I actually turned the lights On lol!
Decided to give it one more try, search eBay for the infamous VJ11 center housing, found a seller overseas selling brand new units ready to install, bought right away. a few days later well this video happened , I'm so happy I'll be able to get some boost in my life again haha!!!

Lesson learned! Look for a complete CHRA next time if your turbo blows, it's cost effective tenfold.

• Like 1

What a cool find!  This seems like the exact roller coaster I go through with most of my projects, lol.  Glad it worked out for you, man.  I'm looking forward to more videos!

Found an Ultra rare LE MX-6 (91 Leather edition) and relived it of its leather seats, front and rear plus the leather steering wheel for my GT ;)

Videos are coming :D