Bitter

Led Capable Flasher For 98-02?

7 posts in this topic

I've been searching online and I can't find a flasher for my 98 that supports LED's. I know I can use the stock and run resistors but I don't like to do that as the resistors get very hot and that negates any advantages of the LED's like lower power consumption and less heat. I'd like some switch back front turn signals that go fro solid lit to on/off and some rear LED turn signals to match the rear LED brake/tail bulbs. Evidently we use some weird flasher type, all I can find are OEM replacements. Is ours a thermal flasher inside or is it electronic inside? If it's electronic inside I may be able to modify it to remove the bulb out warning and stop the fast flashing with LED.

I haven't been able to find one, however if you do please let me know! I'm currently running resistors, which don't seem to get nearly as hot as others have said. Maybe warm at best. I also had trouble with switchbacks so I ended up using amber LEDs. My switchbacks would constantly act up. 

I'm looking at wiring diagrams to see if another model of Mazda turn signal flasher would work or if I can use something aftermarket like Tapturn since we have 7 wires at the flasher we probably have all the things present just not in the right shape connector, a simple fix if that's the case. Would just need to swap some wiring around and splice in a connector from a Toyota/Lexus/Subaru.

I just looked up Tapturn, that thing is pretty cool! I would love to get that working on my car if possible. Let me know what you find out, i can go find connectors if needed

Tapturn seems overkill but it's a neat product for the automotive market and the more products the better.

Tapturn has been working great since it was installed, I barely use any of the more advanced features but I did set the hazards to flash flash pause strobe mode and set the tapturn to 5 blinks. Seems like a solid product and the guy was great to work with. Price IS steep but it beats burning my car down with load resistors and anything to draw less on the mediocre factory electrical system.