Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
z00mz00m

Getting A 91 626 To Replace My 90. Looking For Advice.

hey everyone! I don't come around the forums too much but like to pop in every now and then. Unfortunately, my trusty 1990 626LX was wrecked while out-of-state on a trip a few weekends ago. I've found a straight 91 to replace it with. I know there were some electrical differences between the years--is anything different between 90-91? Also what parts would you recommend I keep off the 90? I'm going to keep it as a parts car for a while until I'm confident I have enough spares for the new one, the rest will be for sale. 

Thanks! 

If the drivers door outside handle matches I would grab that. I've gone through a couple of those. If you wan to pull off parts and have a garage or place to put them.

Starter

Alternator

Harmonic balancer

Throttle body to air flow meter hose. 

distributer

coil

Head lamps, tail lamps

The list can go on. 

There are going to minor differences between years but nothing major.  The majority of components will match up from electrical sensors to body panels.  The changes between 90 and 91 in the grand scheme of things was very little.

Nice. Good call on the balancer, didn't even think of that one. I had 5 hours of driving it home today to think about what I'm going to swap. I really liked my gray interior on the wrecked one, the new one is beige and has a sunroof which presents its own set of challenges. Here's a pic of my "new" one! 2 owners, 93k miles, damn near rust free & runs great. Just has the usual idle issue these cars seem to have, I had just fixed it on my '90 before wrecking it. I'm just going to swap the throttle bodies to fix that.

Thanks everyone! Parts swapping starts this weekend starting with the godawful stock radio. And deciding on what the paint color is going to be.

00J0J_e6wLG0eocQR_600x450_zpspapj8jkb.jp

00u0u_c1WMpEQdSEX_600x450_zpsngj7gu2t.jp

00101_5TODwhkm6gv_600x450_zpsoutnakyl.jp

• Like 1

I don't know what the normal Idle issue is. I never had one. I also just recently had to replace my windshield wiper linkage (transmission). The bushings wear out and I don't know of any that are available or fit for this one. Mazda wants a lot of money for the whole set up. I know another guy on here had to replace his also. 

I don't know what the normal Idle issue is. I never had one. I also just recently had to replace my windshield wiper linkage (transmission). The bushings wear out and I don't know of any that are available or fit for this one. Mazda wants a lot of money for the whole set up. I know another guy on here had to replace his also. 

I guess it's normal to me...LOL. The idle drops to 500 or below when in drive, say sitting at a red light. Car shakes all around. I fixed it on my '90 by completely disassembling the IAC valve and cleaning it really good. Interesting about the wipers, haven't had any of those issues. If you need some parts I might be able to sell you some off of my 90. I need to decide what i'm keeping first. already planning to swap the entire interior probably

I like the beige. That would be my color if I had a choice. I am ok with the blue, but not if I had a chance to choose.

I like the blue a lot, and the gray is probably my favorite because it was in such nice condition in my 90. Plus it goes with more exterior color options and this bad boy really needs a paint job. I feel like my options are limited with beige interior...also the top dash is cracked and ruined from sitting in the sun

Sucks to hear about the old 626...

Do you have a stock radio? If so I may want some buttons off of that for a baby PC I'll be building later on in the year, I want to keep a stock look to the thing.

From personal experience, I've literally dug through an entire '91 LX to compare to my '90 LX and I can tell you, exactly spot on the same. All the wiring is literally the same, parts as well. The only differences I can tell you in the third gen are years of '88-'89 versus '90-'92. I think they were labeled model A and model B or I might just be saying things... Wiring in an '89 LX is about 96% the same in the '90 model, again, also found from personal experience. There's a lovely wiring diagram out there for the '89 I've been studying on and off for the past winter and compared to my car, schematically the same but wire colors are sometimes off. But again, VERY similar and it's very here and there.

Take ALL the major parts you can get, especially electronics because this generation of 626 has this flaw of the fact that the engines and trannies will last you a solid 300,000+ miles (if taken care of) without overhaul or replacement. Thing is, electronics will crap out on you before them for sure. I think I've replaced more electrical related things on my car than I have under the hood, or at least had to fix or repair.

By the way, that pic of the interior looks very much like in the sales brochure I have for the 626, even the beige interior was used for that. The burgundy red the 626 came in had the taupe interior and as much as I don't care for burgundy red on cars, it looks damn nice. That friggin' brochure made me conflicted on my car's color choice. I have it now down to black, recent gen Mazda 6 silver grey, or burgundy red. 

Thanks for the reply! Yep, definitely keeping the ECU, TCU if there is one somewhere, also that annoying little CPU that handles the interior light dimming and other things...most recently discovered last night that my 91 has a theft deterrent system (it started going off at like 3am last night!). I found this thread last night and it seems I can simply unplug one of the connectors and disable the alarm system. We'll see how that goes. I had fried one of these CPU units on my old 626 when installing some interior LEDs. Scored one at a junkyard for 5 bucks. I do have the other one though that I "fixed" by jumping the two outermost connectors together. I wonder if these CPU units are in fact different with the models equipped with the alarm? I guess I'll see tonight.

To answer your question about the radio, I just pulled out the hunk of garbage you'd call a stock radio w/ cassette player. pretty much nothing works on it. The buttons seem to be in good shape though. I can get you a picture after work

Oh my gosh, I had the same thing happen to me when I did my LED interior lights, I fried out the CPU when it came to the dome light! You'd think a fuse is used for that, but no.

I'd love to see the radio.

hey Robot, i'll get pics of the radio for you later today. it's just the basic radio/casette player. Barely works at all. 

Update on the alarm / CPU situation. The CPU for alarm equipped models is indeed different as the plug for the alarm plugs right into the CPU. Unplugging it successfully disabled the system. :) 

And yeah, I was shocked too that there wasn't a fuse or something to protect the CPU from a short.