Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
MADMAT86

1988 Mazda 626 Racecar Paint Job

There was no need to make three threads for this by the way.

A couple of comments.

• I am assuming the hood scoop is for aesthetics only and actually wouldn't be on a race version of this vehicle
  • Interesting intercooler piping
  • I'm not a fan of the gills on the fenders. If you placed them directly behind the wheel to help remove air, they would be somewhat functional.
  • The decal on the rear window kills it for me
  • My guess is this is not an actual race car?

To complete the race car feel, you need a number on it. Even if it isn't my style, I can appreciate the amount of work and effort that went into it. How long did it take to complete?

Wait a second, is this non turbo with the intercooler used as part of a cold air intake??

Yes the intercooler is connected to the cold air intake until my custom turbo exhaust manifold is finished

I actually should have called it a import tuner paint job since I decide not to put the numer on.

The bonnet scoop would be functional if I had a top mount intercooler but it's really just for show and it does actually help keep the engine cool, and with the gills I originally was going to put them lower at the back of the wheel well so they are more functional, but it didn't look as good and would have weakened the front fenders severely because a large hole had to be cut out of the metal to install the fibreglass gills properly.

The RICE BURNER decal on the rear window is just there for laughs, just to tell people that I don't actually think it's a race car.

It took 4 months to complete the car ( after work and weekends ), and in that time I also did a manual gearbox conversion and anyone who has done a manual conversion on this model 626 knows that it's a lot of work !! But I hated the automatic trans so it was worth it :)

• Like 1

Can you tell me more about your custom turbo exhaust manifold? Are you building/welding it together yourself? Any pictures of the work so far?

I am impressed with the effort and the quality of the result.  It certainly is a one of a kind now.  I can respect that.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks RacerX - and andyvegan, I will be starting to work on the turbo manifold soon, it's easy for me to do myself because I'm a tradesman metal fabricator with more than 10 years experience, when I do it I will post some pics of it -

It's certainty unique.

I'm personally very biased against aesthetic alterations, or things that "don't do anything." I preach the "go before show", philosophy I guess.

My initial reaction was (politely);  All the time and money that went into the cars appearance, could have gone into an OEM turbo swap (from the F2T), at less than half the cost. Then you'd have the definition of a sleeper, and that wins all the points in my book.

But that's all I'll say about that. The effort you've put in shows, and it's clean. :)

Let me know if you have any questions with the turbo install. Turbo swapping the F2 is up my alley of expertise.

anyone who has done a manual conversion on this model 626 knows that it's a lot of work !!

Ah yes, I remember my first time wink.png

Honestly though, I'd say it's more tedious than difficult. On this model, it's pretty damn close to legos. Just find what fits. Wiring up the reverse lights, and (if you care), the neutral switch is a PITA though.

Thanks Leev, I was going to work on getting as much horsepower as possible from the engine first before making it look good, but everyone was telling me to get a car that looks better and they said that you can't make a mazda 626 look good, it's a grandma'a car and not worth spending money on, so I decided to take my car to get a bodykit made for it and the guy that makes the bodykits there said to me it's not worth putting a body kit on it and it's not possible to make something for me.

I am very stubborn, if someone tells me i can't do it, i do it to prove them wrong, so I decided to make the car look good on my own, and made the bodykit myself and decided to paint it myself because the paint shop was going to charge a lot of money for that kind of paint job, and they didn't want to do it for me.

NOW it looks worthy of spending money on the engine !!!! You can make a 626 look good -

No, if you look at the photos you can see that I cut it in half to use as a foundation for fibreglassing and matching the R32 front, the whole point of doing that was to be different to the other 626's and also it's more aerodynamic compared to the original front bumper which is flat and also no good for the large intercooler to be installed properly -

No, if you look at the photos you can see that I cut it in half to use as a foundation for fibreglassing and matching the R32 front, the whole point of doing that was to be different to the other 626's and also it's more aerodynamic compared to the original front bumper which is flat and also no good for the large intercooler to be installed properly -

I disagree with the aerodynamic claim, but makes sense for the large intercooler if you are throwing a large turbo on it.

Sorry about dredging up an old post but I want to chime in.

The time and effort put into this car is commended, and in all honestly, I can't paint, I can't do body work, no tools nor time, so my opinion on the 'body kit' is invalid IMO. But I will say this though: IF this was 2004, I would have been playing Need for Speed Underground 2 for Xbox, my mind would be brainwashed somewhat on how to "style" my car. Honestly, play that game for a while and you start to rationalize how to put a body kit on just about everything. Then I would have watched The Fast and the Furious at some point, thus confirming the need for stickers, big wings, and underglow. Those were good times, innocent times.

This car makes me want to go back and play that game, this car captures that young post high school car meet days. This car is a tribute to the years 2001-2005, post 9/11 days where being a little vulgar was okay, shouting out to the world in the name of freedom in order show those freedom hating terrorists that our way of life rocks! So what if the mods are completely pointless (honestly, I can't get over the stickers), it takes me back to my early cars days where it didn't matter what you did to your car, as long as you did SOMETHING to your car!

I hope to see more pictures in the future! Thanks!