Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
mazda6262.0

2000 Mazda 626 Manual Transmission Interchange

I need help to figure out if the manual transmission from another car like a probe or protege has the same manual transmission and what years would work mine is a 2000 4cylinder any help will be greatly appreciated thanks!

The search function on this site can be a little hit or miss.  So I suggest doing the following google search:

manual transmission swap site:mazda626.net

There are dozens of helpful threads on this subject already.

In summary, it's very doable, you'll need a bunch of parts from a donor car, and the ECU for the automatic cars is different than the ECU for the manual cars.  Swapping the ECUs is optional though.  But, if you don't swap ECUs there will be some side effects you need to consider.

yeah search is broken still. Sphinx search is terrible! Working on a fix. Also pmx626.com should be up tonight too. Just moved the server last night. But yeah googles your best bet at the moment!

Sorry I should have been more informal I already have a manual in my car it came factory with one what I'm not sure on is if all the manual ttransmission from like 1993-1997 626's or probes or even protege have the same 5speed transmissions as my 2000 does I need to find a replacement for mine it has a cracked case and I know most of the drive train from other models such as the probe and mx6 are the same I'm mainly wondering if the g series manuals these have are the same if I could use one from another car or older models. Sorry if it looks spaced too much my phone does that. Thanks Jordyn.

You can replace your damaged transmission with one from a '93-'02 2.0L Mazda 626, '93-'87 2.0L Mazda MX-6, '93-'97 2.0L Ford Probe, or '01-'03 Mazda Protege (standard, MP3, 5, and MazdaSpeed).  I'm not sure the sensors (reverse, speed, etc) and their connectors will be exactly the same.  You'll have to check on those.  I suspect it won't be a problem though.

Sorry to reserect this one but racerx do you think the guts of a 00 trans will work in a 96? I found a rebuild kit with sycros seals and bearings for a 00-02 manual and was wondering if it'll work in my 96.

On 12/30/2014 at 8:53 PM, RacerX said:

You can replace your damaged transmission with one from a '93-'02 2.0L Mazda 626, '93-'87 2.0L Mazda MX-6, '93-'97 2.0L Ford Probe, or '01-'03 Mazda Protege (standard, MP3, 5, and MazdaSpeed).  I'm not sure the sensors (reverse, speed, etc) and their connectors will be exactly the same.  You'll have to check on those.  I suspect it won't be a problem though.

i have a 98 mazda 626 automatic, would the transmission from a 01 mazda protege be compatible?