Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Transmission fluid appears to be percolating at the top of the pan thru the overflow valve.  Why is this happening?  My fluid level is not high.  if anything it is low.

Dipstick says check fluid in park, idle and hot.

Is there a way to stop this leak.

It's overheating the fluid.  The vent for excess heat and fluid.  It depends on how much you're losing.  Keep an eye on the ATF level and ensure it never goes below the minimum line on the dipstick.

I dont think this has ever had a fluid change, apart from the leaks.   

I watch a neat video on youtube that showed a 10 minute flush    It involved draining, plugging, removing cooler intake hose and putting it into a basin,  running the engine while pouring new fluid in the dipstick.  Keep engine running until fluid coming out of tube is a nice pink color.

I dont know if that's something I can do by myself.  I might just drain and fill a few times.

The O/D OFF light started flashing today after I retorqued all the bolts on the pan.

Can I save the old gal?

2.0L Auto

If you do the bucket procedure please make sure that you do not allow the transmission to run out of fluid.

You must constantly put fluid in while the engine is running.

The drain and fill method is safer to do.

Ray

• Like 1

Drain plug is on the very bottom of the transmission.  There is a leveling plug on the side (behind the tire) but it's unnecessary since you have a dip stick. 

Problem with this method on our cars is you will drain faster than you can fill it.  I don't think you should attempt this. You can't fill it fast enough through the leveling port or dip stick tube.  You would have to find a way to limit the drain like pinching off an adapter screwed into the drain plug threads.  If you're willing to find parts to make and adapter (restrictive drain) for the drain port causing the transmission to drain slower then yes go for it.  Otherwise I don't recommend you attempt that method and do a couple of consecutive drain & fills instead.

If you let the ATF go dry even for a couple seconds it will do damage and start to burn up the friction material and clutch bands.  It's not worth the risk.  You can always attempt it but realize we've given you fair warning.  If you see no fluid coming out even for a second shut the car off and let it fill again before proceeding.  You can do it in steps safely instead of all in one shot but you have to watch that fluid level like a world class hawk.  Consecutive drain and fills are safer and the smarter way to go plus by the time you're done you'll have accomplished the same thing it will just take a little more time.  You can still do it all in one session in one day if you like or space out the drain and fills to days or weeks depending on how long you want to go between procedures. 

The most important thing to remember is NEVER let it get low.  I'm not talking about empty I mean low.  As soon as it starts getting low is when it starts burning up the fluid and overheating the transmission components.  The transmission is required to be filled at all times.  The machines they use in shops to do flushes use pressure and measurements to ensure that the transmission is always filled to the proper amount while it's being flushed.  That's a very important part of the process.

Yeah, I already opted out of the 10 min flush idea.  Its probably all in vane anyway.  But maybe the gods will be kind to me today.......but I kinda doubt it.

OK, drove it all day with no problems.  One or two more drainings and all should be good.  There was noticeable metal shavings that came out with the old fluid.

300,000 miles without a fluid change, and over heating yesterday.  I say its a great tranny.

It's good to get rid of the metal shavings and flush it all out.  However the fact that you have visible metal shavings in the first place suggests damage has already occurred.  Recommend you drain and fill until the fluid looks all new.  Then revisit it next month for another single drain and fill to inspect for more shavings.  If the shavings continue then you know it's just a matter of time before complete failure.

Keep in mind that transmissions work on very strict tolerances.  When you wear away metal those tolerances are increased in size which lowers line pressure.  Eventually when enough metal is worn away and hydraulic line pressure drops below spec you'll have engagement issues and erratic shifting.

Metal shavings inside our transmission fluid means worn clutch bands, planetary gear, or forward drum.  It's not friction material as friction material is not metallic.  It is possible to wear down the friction material completely and then clamping force relies on the metallic surface holding the friction material.  It's the same concept as wearing down your brake pads until there's no pad left. Automatic transmissions have friction material inside them the same as a brake pad or clutch disc. When you wear down all friction material you will lose the ability to shift into different gears.  You could also relate it to a clutch on a manual transmission.  When you wear down the friction material on the clutch disc it's time for a new clutch and your manual transmission will no longer shift.  Hope you see what I'm saying here.  Your shavings are from metallic parts of the transmission and that's definitely not a good sign.  I'm not saying you've worn through your clutch friction material (in fact I don't think you have) otherwise this topic would be about why your car isn't shifting into other gears, not ATF quality.  You've still got hope that it's a minor fluid quality issue that can be fixed with a drain and fill.  :)  Keep at it and continue to monitor the fluid quality.

Still getting some percolation at the overflow cap on the pan.

I havent checked the temps on the hoses, that might be something to do today.

AZ offers a radiator transmission flush kit for $30. Has anyone ever tried it?

You can find all specifications by downloading a free factory service manual from pmx626.info.  It's completely free.  The owners of that site do not have advertising or anything like that.  It's simply available as a resource.