Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
ausloki

Spec Clutch - Your Opions

With many of those building engines that utilised the "RUROCKN RODS" and Diamond Racing Piston combos, what clutch did you ultimately choose to get

your new found power to the ground.

Myself I ended up with a SPEC Stage 5 with the Performance Pressure plate

and the supplied thrust bearing, but after only three months of use I had to do a tear down to address an engine issue and found the below wear on my pressure plate fingers.

img-384210-1-ce497a653d4a72125148a3e992d

img-384210-2-653c782aa87f975b328094bf5a6

img-384210-3-8dc127aa4e0362e38fab756538e

And this the supplied thrust bearing from the kit they sent. I email SPEC but after a couple of emails back and forth they have now gone silent and not responded to the photos or questions I have asked.

So For those with high horsepower builds please have a look at these photos and give me your opinions as to what caused this. Im glad my engine was torn down now. I would of hated to have been driving and finding no clutch at ll.

More Detailed Pics HERE

You installed the throwout bearing upside down.  This is not a manufacturing defect it's user error.  Sorry bud.  Next time make sure the little tabs are locked onto the clutch fork and not pointing towards the pressure plate.  All of your pictures show the top view of the throwout bearing.  How about a picture of the bottom?

You installed the throwout bearing upside down.  This is not a manufacturing defect it's user error.  Sorry bud.  Next time make sure the little tabs are locked onto the clutch fork and not pointing towards the pressure plate.

you cannot install it upside down. It is one piece and has claws that attach to the activating lever....

out of the hundreds of throwout bearings I have installed I yet haven't seen one that can be install upside down. Where are you getting your bearings from ?

Does the bearing turn easily and smoothly?

Also, side note...I made the mistake of putting a bit too much grease on the input shaft and throwout bearing when I did a clutch a while back, and the grease eventually slung off and onto the clutch disc...this ruined it and I had to replace the clutch.  It would slip when warmed up (and the grease turned to oil).

Another thing to consider...does your clutch master/slave cylinder retract fully?  If it's riding with the release bearing slightly touching the fingers, they will wear while cruising around in gear.  Make sure the release fork actually has some slop in it when the clutch is released.  If not, your clutch master cylinder is probably defective (it should have a pressure relief valve that opens when the piston is retracted, allowing fluid to flow back into the reservoir).

bearing is smooth as with no evident wear. clutch dis-engages fully without issues and no slippage on the actual flywheel. The only thing different from this throwout bearing and the usual ones I use is the actual amount of surface area engaging the fingers. and one other point, there is no clutch chatter or noise during shifting whilst vehicle stationary or driving thats what is bizzare

Ah this is a much better angle.  You can see damage here you can't see in other pictures.  Only thing I can think of is missing pilot bearing or bad main bearings.   Basically you've got a wicked crankshaft or input shaft wobble.

img-384658-1-040b3004f688239051a34b11c1a

Ah this is a much better angle.  You can see damage here you can't see in other pictures.  Only thing I can think of is missing pilot bearing or bad main bearings.   Basically you've got a wicked crankshaft or input shaft wobble.

img-384658-1-040b3004f688239051a34b11c1a

neither. these engines are internally balanced. for the crankshaft to have that much wobble would mean you would be hearing it and feeling it as soon as you started the engine.

pilot bearing is also intact and smooth as.

the only possibility i can see at the present moment is the throwout bearing (thrust bearing) isn't returning correctly and is sitting on the fingers. The problem with that theory though is as that bearing is also intact and smooth as

it should spin freely with the pressure plate and wouldn't create this sort of wear.

This has been on one of six KL based cars I have owned and I have replaced the clutches on all of them, never have I seen this same type of wear.

True, you would most certainly feel that.  Only other possibility that I can think of is the thrust bearing has too much clearance and is actually being thrown off the end of the input shaft.  Could explain the odd wear pattern but it doesn't explain the little groves in the fingers.