Wtf Is This Button??

Alright, so in the center console, between the two vents its a button. it says... On..... Off.... simple push button square switch.... i'm baffled... i have pushed it... nothing changes (that i notice) 

Anyone have any clue what it is???

i can take  picture if needed

That's the oscillating vent switch.  It should cause the air vents to swing side to side.  It's what actually makes a 626 a 626.  If yours aren't working that's heresy.

I don't know about the 3rd gen but on the 4th and 5th gen the button says "swing".

Basically the same thing as a household oscillating fan.

giphy.gif

Only the two center vents have oscillating fans and they rotate in unison.

img-382378-1-15-015.jpg

whahaaaat?? thats cool. lol i never gave it a chance to work i would push it, (fans off cause my a/c is gone and its hot) nothing happened, then turn it off lol wow i'ma have to try that now!

if it's not working you gotta get it working.  It's what makes a 626 a 626.  The reactions from people the first time they see it never gets old.  I've owned my 626 for 17 years and I swear it NEVER gets old seeing their eyes widen as if it's some optical illusion and can't believe what they're seeing.  Never gets old.

Why you don't like it Leev?  Got too used to the MX6 version?

mine doesn't work... i have a AFR gauge in my driver side vent... lol no a/c means my windows are down too lol

Simply serves no purpose in my car. Climate controls removed to fit gauges, and the windows are always down anyways.

seems like it would be a cool thing, but not needed. i think the look on peoples faces when my wastegate opens up is better than the air moving around lol

I don't think I ever used that button once.

My GC's even have it too, and I've not used it in them either.

I find that I prefer the air blasting on me, where as most of my passengers are happy its not blowing on them so it stays pointed at me all the time hence no need for the swing louvre.

Cool idea though, but it might have been one of those 80s gimicks like 4WS. My 07 Mazda 6 doesn't have oscillating vents and it has heaps of other luxury stuff.

HA! I know someone that had a fourth gen 626 until a few years ago and she loved seeing people's reaction to the oscillating vents! :D

As cool as it is, I don't see any practical use personally. I typically pry off the dash piece to put in new vent filters (outside air gets filthy and I don't care for dirt flying at my face) and that connector is the last I have to rip out and the most annoying to get off. So I just disconnected it. I drive my car a ton and have the AC and heat blasting just on me since I don't frequently have passengers. Also, there are four vents, two for driver, two for passenger. Two oscillating vents doesn't serve a purpose. If there were five...maybe.

Bah! The rear passengers have their little foot vent! :D

I'll bet you have those foot vents covered with floor mats to hog all the cool refreshing air for yourself :w00t:

My MX-6 didn't have these, but I had put a 626 climate control unit in to fix an unrelated issue, so I always had a vestigial "Swing" button.  It made me sad every time I saw it, knowing it wouldn't do anything if I pressed it....I would occasionally press it in vain, with the hopes that my center vents would magically spring to life, but alas, my dreams were shattered.  :(

whahaaaat?? thats cool. lol i never gave it a chance to work i would push it, (fans off cause my a/c is gone and its hot) nothing happened, then turn it off lol wow i'ma have to try that now!

Make sure you have it set to the dash vent setting. Otherwise they dont turn on even when you push the button. So if you have it set to blowing on your feet, or on the defrost settings, they dont turn on.

And i agree, this is by far the coolest option any gen of 626 got. It would be an absolute shame to remove them.

• 7 months later...

I own a European spec GD which have never been equipped with the oscillating vents, and got myself a set from the USA which is of course a direct fit and indeed reactions when people get in my comfy 25 and a half year old hatch never get old! You always get the WOW! whatever the age, men or women! That thing HAS to be operational in a 626!  :smile:

• 1 month later...