Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
x Minion x

Minion Build

Let's start from day one.

July 31st 2009 my 18th birthday. Me and my grandpa were riding around looking for a new project, down a back road in nowhere North Idaho we find this green beauty. First time I laid eyes on a 626. Body was perfect interior was mint. But sadly she had no life in the motor a dead fish. So we bought it of course $200 later I was obsessed. 6 months later, and a few hundred dollars later she lives!!

2 mmonths after I tore both of my meniscus and had extensive surgery. Leading me to sell my mx6 and my 626 sadly to pay for the bills.

The mx6 goes to some punk kid who totalled it 4 months later, and the 626 to my brother for a new daily driver (and turned into his sons rig after) he had the interior gutted and painted, looked good for a few years. I helped him with that.... But than he started on his own and now it's in shambles (workable but not pretty)

Now as of yesterday I bought it back for $200 again, and as soon as I get some sunlight I'll take some pics and start a build thread :-) so glad to be back in a Mazda 626 iv missed my baby girl.

Named her after my grandmother Leona Cuz between her and my grandfather's mechanic help (and money support during short times) it seemed fitting to have something to remember them by after they go

The image was the day I sold the car.

IMG_75590145066083.jpeg

It's my 1995 Mazda 626 I4 5 speed

As it sits now... Not as pretty

Steel rims mismatch tires
No carpet
Missing cosmetics
Spray paint chipping on all interior plastics
Much damage to exterior

Will update pictures when the suns up.

Now for the plan.

First things first

-carpet
-all missing cosmetics
-new rims (looking at the 6 rims)
-Needs lowered (ksport maybe)
-New paint (black or same green)
-fog lights
-upgraded headlights
-upgradrd breaks
-would a 2+2 converstion be to crazy!?

And more as time money and tips start riding in.

I'm up for any help that can be provided

Glad to be back!

alright so i finally got my laptop back up, and running. and while i wait to get internet there is a nice hotspot at the local supermarker lol.

at least they have a starbucks here.

but time for the good, the bad, and the ugly.

post-32700-0-43399300-1404675898.jpg

wonderful black trunk lid

post-32700-0-05646300-1404675902.jpg

bumber damage

post-32700-0-11380600-1404675903.jpg

welded the antenna hold so got some primer to cover the work.

post-32700-0-28000800-1404675904.jpg

fender damage

post-32700-0-70753900-1404675905.jpg

much paint fade

post-32700-0-74762700-1404675906.jpg

no carpet

post-32700-0-18257100-1404675907.jpg

black headliner

post-32700-0-41780800-1404675911_thumb.j

black door panals (no speaker covers and needs redone)

post-32700-0-37595600-1404675913_thumb.j

stock engine bay

You certainly have some work ahead of you.

To do a 2+2, it would be removing the middle rear seat, or making it more like the RX-8, right? What are you trying to gain from doing that?

If it mounts right I was looking into doing stock seats and moding the seats base to match the bench seat that way it slides into the existing mount.

I was hoping by doing that the trunk would actually turn into a vented box assisting in the body shake from a sub system.

Than you could build a center console for between the seats and build in the new model cup Holder as dj loves so much.

Idk if it will actual help the shake or not but I just think it would be neat to have the only 2+2 626 that I know of.

And if it help bonus haha

Hey dj what did you say the best way to remove paint was (as far as paint removal product) I know I read it in one of your older threads just do the recall atm

If you're talking about paint removal from metal hood then aircraft remover.  Get the stuff that comes in the gallon jug tin can.  It's about 3x more powerful than the aerosol.  Remove the hood first.  It's extremely messy stuff.  Do not use it in a garage only outside and avoid the fumes.  It's like trying to breath in pepper spray.  it will choke you up, nasty stuff but very effective.  Lather it onto the hood and you'll see the paint bubble up right before your eyes.  Scrape it off (preferably onto grass you never want to grow again).  As thin as the paint on your hood looks I think one thick application would do the trick.  Then wash it off, sun dry, sand, clean with acetone on rags, tack or cheese cloth for final dry, then primer, and paint.

If you mean interior then it depends on the plastic.  Cars use many different types of plastic.  What will remove paint on one type of plastic might melt another type.  Do not use aircraft remover on interior panels it will definitely melt them.  The plastics have different technical names but I can't remember what they are called.  It's very hard to tell certain plastics apart just from looking at them so always do test spots first.  You can use it on some ABS plastics though just not most interior pieces.

Thanks that's really helpful, I'm going to have to just sand the room by hand I think. It's just as bad if not worse than the hood. I can't choose between black, white, or keeping the stock green. Which do you feel like would paint the easiest?

And the interior was done with a black vinyl fabric paint, I will need to find the how to on removing the fabric from the panels and maybe dye them. The spray paint doesn't last long on then. And same with the liner.

The plastics look to have been installed to early, or the paint didn't get enough clear coat. They are chipping pretty badly.

Small update:

I went to the local pull and save, and was able to get almost all missing interior parts.

Still missing both visors, and the plastic clips that hold them.

And the carpet, wish I could find a company that does oem carpet but looks like I'll be finding the best looking junk yard carpet and doing a clean up job on it.

As far as the tail lights/ head lights go, are there any decent looking aftermarket for the 95 626? If not I'll just buy new ones and smoke them like I did the previous set. (small warping on the covers)

Always stay with the stock color unless you're pulling the engine and gutting the interior.  Too many little places that makes a re-color obvious and looks bad.  There's no aftermarket for the 626 other than a healthy OEM replacement industry.  Keep it classy.  I'm for using dye on interior pieces if you want to change the color but again certain dyes can melt the plastic just like aircraft remover can.  I'm against painting interior pieces because they chip and look like shit within 5-7 years.  Yes I'm speaking from experience.  Just don't do it.  Ripping out all those black painted panels is easy enough.  Some interior pieces are easier to replace than others.  Just replace what you need to at first.  You can always find more panels or door cards in the future.  Painting interior panels is just a bad idea.  Look into making your own plastic dye if you want to change the interior color.

Great tip thanks, as far as interior goes.

They painted the dash black so I want to try and match that. Just from seeing the work that was already done I can tell it's chipping really bad. I'll look into the dyes and see if it's worth the time or of it would be more effective to replace the dash.

I like the look of black over tan but if every five years I have to do it again... Doesnt seem worth the effort.

I just need to figure it out before I color match leather seats to the interior.

And that's what I figured about the lights I wasn't thinking ricer lights just didn't know if they made a classy upgrade for them.

I love the stock look of the car to throw crazy body kits and lots of aftermarket parts.

The 626 has one of the best stock looks iv ever seen.

There are some for the Probe and MX6 but they won't fit the 626.  Some people have done custom modifications.  Take Zepticon's build thread where he just modified his RX7 tail lights as a good example.  If you know what you are doing you can do some custom mods relatively easily.  You can permanently damage and break stuff if you don't know what you are doing.  Do a lot of research for anything you are interested in.  Use PMX626.com search engine.  It's an amazing search engine that searches multiple websites for the MX6/626/Probe. You can find a lot of ideas that way.

I think my white dash lasted about 5-7 years before it started yellowing and chipping to the point it was an eyesore.  Just ended up replacing all of the panels.  It's just not worth the effort if you want to keep your car for a very long time to continually have to redo work like that.

Thanks for the tip on the site, it's awesome.

Yeah I'm going to have to do some work to figure out the back seats I'll let you know what I turn out with

So I'm back, good news and bad news. 

Good news:

I bought a house, and I got married. 

Bad news:

I have done nothing haha. 

Well not nothing!  I have redone paint on the doors, got the body work and paint schedule for later this summer, and put a sound  system in.