Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
89rotary

89Rotarys Smf 626 Gt Build

Alright, so, this will be my build thread. i'll be posting new progress here rather than my "welcome" thread. so heres the plan layout.

I'm currently building a FC3S for Drifting, and wanted to kinda swing over to SCCA. but since the Rx7 is already setup for Drifting (welded differencial, Solid Engine Mounts, Bridge Ported,) moving over to the SCCA classing would be hard to fit into a catagory. so now that i've picked up this gem, i've found another SCCA outlet. 

SO!

Building the 626 to dance with the cones. 1st problem.... upgraded turbo automatically puts me into a higher category, and then the catless exhaust moves me into SMF. which here, is a VERY competitive class. (which excites me) so, now i know where the car is gonna be placed i can moddify accordingly. so. plans are as follows:

Lowering the Car

Updating the FMIC to be more efficient.

Finding another set of Light weight wheels WHICH to mount DOT legal SCCA Slicks to

Tuning the vehicle to be responsive

adding and creating AERO which will help with Grip in "slow" speed cornering
reducing weight, WITHOUT reducing overall "daily" driving feel

sooo.... Heres the layout, the build, the progress, the LIFE. 

(keep in mind i am still rebuilding my Rx7 and Rx2 so most mods will be done over time.)

so heres a couple starter pictures to show the "beginning" 

10448229_4165807959265_78728491141313155

10012534_4165808239272_52986839830766882

10377618_4165808519279_36082260690236279

Grab some vert wheels from an rx7. They're lightweight and look great on these cars. Or turbo ii wheels, they're a bit heavier, I believe 17.6lb but they're 16s and look even better. Hard to find though.

Grab some vert wheels from an rx7. They're lightweight and look great on these cars. Or turbo ii wheels, they're a bit heavier, I believe 17.6lb but they're 16s and look even better. Hard to find though.

your talking to a Rx7 guy lol i've got 2 sets of TII wheels lol. ONLY problem i have is they are 16" which means tire choice gets tighter due to clearance issue. i tested the S14 wheels i have with 225/50 Falkens on them and they don't clear my struts lol

Yeah, 16" wheels are kind of a pain and not even with clearance, but tire choice. In my opinion, 15 or 17 is the way to go. I am biased towards Konig wheels.

Yeah, 16" wheels are kind of a pain and not even with clearance, but tire choice. In my opinion, 15 or 17 is the way to go. I am biased towards Konig wheels.

thats one thing i've found out with drifting. i actually have been selling off my 16's in favor of 17's because of tire choice and pricing.

my wifes miata runs Enkei RP01's with Kuhmo tires 195/50/15. i like those tires, but since smf allows race tires, i'm feeling like i need to progress to DOT's.

Unless you are running racing slicks, you would already have DOT tires, right? A DOT (Department Of Transportation) number simply means they are street legal, or am I misunderstanding what you mean? Hoosiers are probably the usual choice for the 40 treadwear range.

Unless you are running racing slicks, you would already have DOT tires, right? A DOT (Department Of Transportation) number simply means they are street legal, or am I misunderstanding what you mean? Hoosiers are probably the usual choice for the 40 treadwear range.

ah good point lol. i usually call them DOT's (incorrectly) because the "Autocross slicks" usually still have small tread grooves making them DOT legal as opposed to Drag slicks which have no grooves... i'll try and get my wording right. lol

your talking to a Rx7 guy lol i've got 2 sets of TII wheels lol. ONLY problem i have is they are 16" which means tire choice gets tighter due to clearance issue. i tested the S14 wheels i have with 225/50 Falkens on them and they don't clear my struts lol

Wanna sell me a set then? 205/50 fits fine with 16s

Wanna sell me a set then? 205/50 fits fine with 16s

i use them as Drift Spares for the Rx7 sorry. FC eats many tires lol

I like the MS6 in the background. :D

Thats my Family Sedan ^_^ AccessPort SleepSpeed Tuned about 320HP right now. still working with my DPFE not keeping up.... lmao

10484048_4152504466686_42206561162484306

I haven't heard of that issue. I've only had mine a few months, so I'm still very much a noob to the platform. It's fun, but it's definitely heavy, and I don't like all the electronic wizardry.

I haven't heard of that issue. I've only had mine a few months, so I'm still very much a noob to the platform. It's fun, but it's definitely heavy, and I don't like all the electronic wizardry.

you'll deal with it when your upping the boost/timing using an AccessPort or somthing similar. simply adding a Downpipe, and Catback stresses the Direct Injection System. IMHO, i would upgrade your DPFE First, then your set to do anything you want.

Are you talking about the fuel pump internals?

yes, its for the High Pressure pump thats Camshaft Driven.

i tested the S14 wheels i have with 225/50 Falkens on them and they don't clear my struts lol

Interesting.

I plan on running 225/50/16 BFG super comps. I also plan to maybe go from 15mm spacers to 25mm, then cut the perches off my struts since I'm on coilovers and don't need them.

I'm less than a handful of parts away from completing full suspension on my 6. I'm excited to see how you progress with yours.

i tested the S14 wheels i have with 225/50 Falkens on them and they don't clear my struts lol

Interesting.

I plan on running 225/50/16 BFG super comps. I also plan to maybe go from 15mm spacers to 25mm, then cut the perches off my struts since I'm on coilovers and don't need them.

I'm less than a handful of parts away from completing full suspension on my 6. I'm excited to see how you progress with yours.

Keep in mind, these are STOCK S14 SE wheels so the offset probably sucks, which sucks them into the car. if i had a better offset i'm sure i could find those wheels no problem. my 15" Jeep wheels have a decent offset and they have PLENTY of room. but when i lower, i'm gonna have to roll my fenders a bit cause of the poke lol oh well! such is Race life.\

well, finally got paid, after paying my bills and such, found enough space to squeeze the registration on the 626 so now she's registered! woot woot!

well, got the plates on and drove it around today, working out the kinks on the Wastegate setup, seems to want to keep boosting above 15psi. hits boost cut sometimes. found my boost controller line had blown off, so i reattched it and clamped it down this time. gonna retest tomorrow. Sunday is the first race for this car in the SMF catagory. this race is simply for me to get a feel for the car, and figure out where to start. even though, i'm sure its gonna be with the suspension lol

Its boosting over 15psi with a t3 on it and you're not running super lean??? Do you have a wideband?

Its boosting over 15psi with a t3 on it and you're not running super lean??? Do you have a wideband?

OH its HELLA lean lol top of the RPM band getting into the 17's..... yeah makes me scared. i don't boost it that often for this reason.... gotta get the injectors outta my FC ASAP lol

so, sunday was an eye opener. learned alot, and found its better not to psych yourself out before you've even tried lol.

so made a short list of things that i'm going to work on and start changing.

1: Driver sucks at FWD lol.... workin on it

2: Turbo is tooooo big lol....

3: Tires... well thats a given

4: suspension, needs to be a touch stiffer.... alot stiffer....

5: Cooling, during the end of the runs yesterday she was getting hot. lol 

6: equipment, those sprayers people have.... yeah i want/need one lol

so. now i've got direction! and gotta say for sure the event was AWESOME, can't wait for the next one!

10516701_4189733197381_56712251675931719

10487216_4189733597391_50761391042406205

10410583_4189733717394_25906206624705514

well, started thinking of budget things i could do to make the car faster.... obviously, painting the rear tails was the first thing to do with go-faster-parts... lmao

Before!!!

10392301_4191608524263_44011666557597180 

Taping off and Spraying

10441916_4191608684267_36770041960118695

10347083_4191608884272_75251941680817746

DONE!!!!

10517559_4191609604290_67153329123219294

10462512_4191609764294_69162836188702577

Looks great! Did you give them a coat of clear? Otherwise after like a year, the spray tint starts to like haze over. I learned that the hard way. Clear coat stops it, and gives it a OEM like shine also.

Looks great! Did you give them a coat of clear? Otherwise after like a year, the spray tint starts to like haze over. I learned that the hard way. Clear coat stops it, and gives it a OEM like shine also.

i haven't yet, i'm letting the sun fade them just a touch, then i'll wet sand and clear. this should (crossing my fingers) make that red appear more like the side lenses red. if not, i'll paint them redder too lol

I avoided the mismatch by spraying everything except the white reverse light lens, The orange got a heavy coat, and the read got a very light coat to match.

Yours turned out great, I thought you would do all the orange though. Still looks better, whoever thought the giant orange block was a good idea...