Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
djdevon3

Djdevon3's Angel Jdm Millenia Klde Build

Couldn't ask for a better day to create a new build topic.  It's 626 Day!

This topic is for my niece Chloe (pronounced Kloey).   I can't tell you the circumstances that led to the decision to purchase another 626 as a gift for my niece.  There are a lot of personal reasons that I'm sure she would not want the world to know.  Just know that she was in an extremely bad situation.  Like "wow that's really f--ked up" kind of thing.  Hopefully this will help her get on her feet for the first time in her life.  Life dealt her and her brother a real shitty hand.  She needed a gift of generosity like this.  I don't want to see her grow up to be bitter and jaded for reasons beyond her control.

img-381621-1-6-20-2014_zpsc0ea9ca2.jpg

Paid the previous owner a fair price for the 626 considering all the issues it came with and that it needed to be towed to my house from a far distance.  Actually cost me a lot more to tow it than I'd hoped and I should have paid a lot less for the car because of it.  The only reason I decided to purchase this particular 626 was the health of the engine.  While it only ran for about 10 minutes in my presence, it sounded just beautiful.  As far as my skills go as long as the engine is healthy then anything else I can fix.  Would later discover it's a miracle the engine was running at all from the way it was put together.  I believe it's a JDM Millenia Curve Neck KL-DE.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.  The plan is to restore the 626 and provide my niece with transportation to establish her independence.

The video doesn't even scratch the surface of all the problems this car has.  More videos to come that will show most issues in more detail.  ND28 came up to help try to fix a couple little issues before Chloe came to see the car.   Fixed the sunroof seal being off the back of the glass and he got the trunk open.  No idea how he got past the key lock on the trunk latch so don't ask.  He climbed into the trunk to manually open the trunk.  Maybe it was just rusted in place or manually set to lock (little yellow tab on the latch). 

Since I actually have a 96/97 replacement remote as a remote for my car (even though the trunk button doesn't work on a 95) I went ahead and programmed Chloe's car to my remote and voila the trunk popped open first time!  Pops up every time now with the remote control no problem.  Great job Andy!

Edit: I've since purchased a 96/97 remote on e-Bay for this car so now it has it's own remote and it works perfectly every time.

She had no idea I bought a car for her.  My thought being if she didn't like it and had her heart set on a different car then I would put the KL (and many other parts) in my car then send it to the scrapyard.  Well, she fell in love with it immediately.  Probably because she's seen how my 626 has progressed over the years.  She's been working hard to save money for a place to live and a vehicle wasn't even remotely on the horizon, even a  $900 beater. 

So the restoration is in full swing.  There's no time limit right now as she has no idea when she'll be able to afford the insurance.  I told her the car would be waiting for her when the time comes.  In the mean time I'll be transforming it from a $900 piece of shit beater into a restored classy 626 again.

• Like 1

Is the rust a bad issue where your at? You hardly see any old cars around here with rust like that, unless it was bought from out of state, or it was damaged and they did not even try to cover the bare metal. 

You have got your hands full on this one Dj! That was a awesome thing you did!  :cool:

Jeez, that's got more body rust than mine did. Make sure to check the actual frame rails where the subframe bolts on. It might not even be worth fixing. It looks like it either came from the north, or they parked it in the ocean every night.

It's a nice gesture for your neice, though. Way to go, man. :)

Wow, just wow :O

Dj buys another car with a KL engine and rather gives it away than keeping it himself, so sweet of ya man!

Damn.... A 97 manual! If you ever decide to strip it down, ill buy the body harness:D

Just make sure she does not kill the engine, so when te body gives up, you have your v6 swap:D

Is it hers permanently, or are you just lending it to her untill she gets a better, or it dies?

As you noted, its a milly swap. Check the heads and cams for stamps, and piston tops, to make sure its a complete DE engine. Also, have Andy get a proper DE IM with the airbox and intake pipes. The current situation is far from good, neitjer for the engine, or mileage.

But all in all, its going to make a superb donor for your own at some point. Latest year, V6 manual, all the goodies!

It's now on jack stands.  ND28 and I gave it a good once over (except the suspension because I haven't removed the wheels yet).  The only place there is rust are on the specific spots that I pointed out.  I thought there was rust in the wheel wells, there is not.  I got the sides mixed up.  The rust on the rear door is due to a sideswipe that went unrepaired for like 10 years.  It just rotted away.  All the rust damage on the car is only the spots I pointed out.  Not bad at all! Ain't Florida great, no salt!  The underside looks just like my car except with cv boot grease slung all over the place.  A lot of you rust belt guys are going to be jealous when you see the chassis, same condition as mine. ;P

The title will be transferred to her when she is financially ready for it.  If she can't ever afford it I'm not going to just give her the car and allow her to drive uninsured.  That's not going to happen.  If she can't pick it up then it will be mine for a long time.  I'll hold it for her until she's ready for it.

If she wrecks it then I'll part out what's left and keep what I can.  The V6 ES has a lot of nice features that I'd love to swap into my car.  Funny that a couple days after I bought her the car I got an unexpected gift from Zepticon and FIS with e-spec headlights for my 626.  Karma? 

Since Andy came up here and helped work on the car I didn't get time to put out the 3-4 videos like I'd planned.  Him coming up here was completely unplanned.  I REALLY wanted to keep it a secret from him and surprise him just like everyone else.  However I really needed his V6 brain so I conceded to let only him in on the secret before unveiling it to this forum on 626 day.  Actually held off with the announcement for more than a week just to make the announcement on 626 day and make it really special.  We met at the junkyard and I told him about the project because I needed his V6 expertise in selecting replacement parts.  Obviously he really wanted to see the car in person and jump in to help.  Andy and I make a phenomenal team sometimes even if I spend most of the time smoking while he does all the work. :P  He's a much faster worker than I am to say the least.  When he's here, things get done.

Can't wait to see how this restoration takes place.  Plenty more videos to come.

"even if I spend most of the time smoking while he does all the work."

:lol:  :rofl:  :rofl:   :lol:

Good help is hard to find eh, Andy? 

Andy knows what I can and can't do.  I do my fair share.  We play off each others strengths and weaknesses.  We make a damn good team.  He's Mr. Mechanical and I'm Mr. Electricity.  Just wait till you see the upcoming alternator diagnostic video.  I'm not completely useless when he's around.  Our collective knowledge about the 626 almost makes 1 real technician. ;)  I dunno, that's just what I think.  Maybe I'm selling us too short.  Sometimes it feels like nothing is impossible when we're working on a problem.  Like the word "impossible" means absolutely nothing.

Just wait till you see the upcoming alternator diagnostic video. """"""Mr. electricity nails it."""""

Good job Andy!  :whistle:  :thumbsup:

LOL!!!!!  :lol:

Oh and we figured out that due to the US 626 KLDE throttle cable is way too long to fit on the curve neck JDM Millenia cable bracket.  So the throttle was only opening about 50% throttle.  That will be included in an upcoming video update too.  When we pushed on the throttle manually to go WOT oh it sounds sooooo good.  I'm pretty sure it's not a ZE though since it has KL-101 and KL-1A1 heads.  Could use some V6 owners experience to identify exactly which engine this is.  On the US spec Millenia the EGR is on the top of the manifold but on this engine it's kind of located where it would be on my FS below the throttle body near the back of the block.  Having a hard time identifying exactly which engine it is US or JDM.   The EGR system has been disabled and all vacuum hoses and coolant hoses to EGR cut and plugged (by the previous owner).  I'm pretty sure it's not a ZE but just a JDM Millenia DE.

The clutch pedal is crooked which I almost did during my FS swap so I know they didn't get that spring seated correctly.  The clutch pedal is too close to the brake pedal because of it.  Whoever put this engine in there barely knew what they were doing.  Probably a first time engine swap for them.  There is a possibility that this used to be a V6 automatic too because only the brake pedal and gas pedal have those aftermarket pedals on them.  If you notice in the video the clutch pedal doesn't have one.  Not definitive just a hunch.  Kind of makes me thing those pedals were installed when this was still an automatic.  Still unsure because I don't know how to spot differences between V6 ATX and MTX yet.  Still have a lot to learn.  Didn't realize how much more I knew about the FS before starting this project.  So many differences and issues that I just don't know about yet.  I'll be falling asleep reading the V6 section of the WSM for a while to come.

that is so sweet! i cant believe im saying this,.but "nothing hard to fix there!" it'll be zooming off after.

its great you get to open a KL, lots of em here who needs the info. im excited to see the manifolds all shiny like what you did with your I4

Well you haven't seen all the issues yet Fade. ;)  The engine mount is the most serious problem that I can find right now.  The two bolts for the passenger side mount are part of the mount that attaches to the engine (not the chassis side).  The bolts are way too long by about 3 inches compared to the DE bolts.  The bracket might actually be stripped due to the Millenia bolts being used instead of the 626 KLDE bolts.  We'll get into that in a later video though along with many other little issues.    It's not like I'm doing an engine swap or rebuild so compared to that yeah everything is small potatoes. ;)

• Like 2

mount being a problem for you? i dont believe you. i think your just making an excuse not to do it ASAP =P slacker LOL

im so reminiscing about my hachi when i first got him T.T that car you got for chloe is sooooooo cute,. it actually brings tears to my eyes thinking your giving it to her just like that. so sweet DJ im loving you right now just for thinking it.

The Milly mounts are definitely different.  I remember swapping them out when my buddy ordered his JDM Milly DE.

People can never believe I'm not an animal lover.  I think that interior speaks for itself...

Fade wants to know if there is video of my nieces reaction. 

No I didn't get to record it because she surprised me and showed up early while I was still working on the car.  Was planning on hitting record on my camera then going around outside to meet her and open the garage door to see her reaction.  Didn't go as planned.  I don't think she realized that I was working on a different 626 in the garage because she's always used to seeing me work on cars.  Andy was there and she's seen Andy's green 626 but he had his MX-6 in the driveway too.  So she walked into the garage and I'm sure it never dawned on her that we were working on a 626 she's never seen before.  She was more interested to get inside and talk to Grandma who has presents for her.  We lured her over there under the guise of gifts for her apartment.  Stuff like pot holders, towels, cups, etc..

When she went inside my mom told her I was fixing up the car as a gift to her.  If she had her heart set on something else specific then she needed to say something.  I would keep the engine, scrap the car, and give her the difference to put towards the car she wants.  She actually loves my 626 and has good memories of us driving around in it.  When she saw that the interior looks exactly like mine she fell in love with it immediately and all hope of a KL engine swap for my car went right out the window.  She actually said she loves it, even in it's crappy condition. She was stunned and excited and got teary eyed.  She came back into the garage and kept saying "what" and "what did you do" about 10 times, she was completely stunned.  Wish I got it on camera but whatever it's not about her reaction, it's about her starting a life.

That's cool. I think it'll mean more like this, with her knowing what went into it and seeing the process instead of just handing her the keys, you know?

Day 2 covers all the bad stuff.  Try not to cringe.   Well I'm stuck with it now so the restoration will continue regardless of any issues I find.  This car is going to get fixed one way or another.  As long as you understand my attitude on that it'll be easier to approach it with an attacking mindset.  No problem is too big here.  I have enough experience to fix almost anything now.  Only problem is that with every issue it will cost time, money, and be tedious.  If you've seen me scrub that valve cover for 16 hours until my fingers were bleeding then you know when I'm determined to do something it gets done.  This is Chloe's car and ALL  of this will get fixed.

So let's make a list of every major issue this car has:

• Like 1

Day 3 is when Andy comes up to help and Chloe gets surprised with the news of having a car in the works.  Sorry I didn't get that part on camera.  Andy and I spent most of the night fixing small issues such as the trunk latch, moonroof seal, and figuring out why the engine mount was so bad.  Sorry for the bad audio.  Had no idea the car running in the garage would cause all of the conversations to be almost inaudible.

• Like 1

Could use some V6 owners experience to identify exactly which engine this is.

With limited information from Mazda, and lots of speculations on the forums, finding the correct term for the engines are next to hopeless.

But we generally refer to them as DE, ZE and G4.

Personally, i prefer to split the identification in three different "areas": Pistons, Cams and Intake Manifold, since those are the main performance features. You also have a variation in heads, but that is not a huge deal for performance. But, for a 100% true KLZE, you need the following:

- Flat top 10.0:1 pistons

- KL31 cams

- KLZE straight neck IM

- KL31-1A1 and KL31-101 square port heads

This is the highest HP version of the KL engine, and has all the unique KL31 performance parts. The "Curve Neck KLZE" does not.

Pistons:

KLDE - 9.2:1

KLG4 - 9.5:1

KLZE - 10:1

KLZE - KLDE - K8DE

img-381738-1-6719796987_a625ed0f57_z.jpg

KLG4:

KLG4_Piston.jpg

Cams:

KLDE - KL01/KL03 stamps

KLG4 - KL?? stamps (but made for Solid Lash Adjusters)

KLZE - KL31 stamps

KLZE:

img-381738-3-cams26vv.jpg

Intake Manifolds:

KLZE straight neck (JDM MX6)

img-381738-4-im0yq.jpg

Millenia Curve Neck (Millenia/Xedos/Eunos)

img-381738-5-100_1598.jpg

KLDE (US/EU/AU Probe/MX6/626/Telstar)

img-381738-6-im24v.jpg

KLG4 (US 98+ 626)

img-381738-7-2vl0368.jpg

• Like 1

I appreciate all the work you put into posting the images and descriptions Zepticon.   I guess I should have phrased the question differently.  Can anyone tell if it's a US Millenia DE or a JDM Millenia DE?  Andy said it's definitely a Millenia but he's not sure which kind.  There are no vin plates on the engine.  Looks like they were never there actually.  The one on the bottom of the trans near the cross member simply isn't there. I wanted to look up the vin on the new engine but it's not even there.

I would guess it's a JDM motor, then. I'm pretty sure they don't use VINs. I don't know that there's a difference otherwise. They have the square head ports from the best of my memory.

Oh yeah Andy said the JDM's didn't come with VIN plates too.  I'm confident that the rivets were not drilled out of anything like that.  Simply looks like it was never installed in the first place.  OK so JDM Millenia it is.  Now the question of parts.  If she ever needs engine replacement parts are the US Millenia internals going to be identical?  I've already found some slight differences from the US Millenia's we looked at in junkyards the other day.  The EGR is in a completely different location.  Oh yeah and the EGR solenoids were completely missing on this one.  I pulled some from a junkyard and will be adding the EGR system back into the loop.  The EGR valve is there just not hooked up to anything at the moment.

It's using a US 626 KLDE ECU so I'm trying to use the 626 KLDE vacuum and evap routing to play optimally with the ECU.  Think using the 626 ECU will limit the swap in any way?  Next time I go to the junkyard I'm going to pull the Millenia throttle cable and cruise control cable (if possible).  Shimming it isn't working very well.  Right now the throttle cable is zip tied to the crescent shape on the throttle body so that it won't allow slack there.  All the slack is on the top of the accel arm where the cable comes through the firewall.  It's working but will still only go up to half throttle using that method.  The cable is simply too long and I'd rather try to use the right cable than shimming it from the firewall side.