Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
joparnico

1998 Wiring Harness Questions

Hello Everyone!

I am installing a new aftermarket stereo for my mom's 1998 626 without the bose head unit. To try and make things easier, I picked up a Metra wiring harness (AW-WHMZ2) from auto zone. I followed the diagrams and crimped all the matching wires together. Luckily they all matched by color. Haha, but I was confused with the wording on the head unit's (JVC KD-R310) wiring guide. Maybe you guys can tell me if I did this right? I added a picture so you guys could kinda get an idea of what I am talking about.

On the metra wiring diagram, the red wire is the 12 volt ignition and the yellow wire is the 12 volt batt/memory. But the JVC wire diagram is worded differently. It says that the yellow wire goes to a live terminal or constant 12 V, and the red wire goes to an accessory terminal. I went ahead and matched the wires by color, but I wanted to check with you guys before I plugged the stereo in and blew a fuse.

Also, I have 5 wires not matched to anything. 2 orange wires from the Metra harness. The all orange wire is for illumination, and the white and orange wire is for the dimmer. The JVC did not come with any wires to match that. Are they needed? When I wired my 1997 Ford Taurus GL, I had to add the illumination wire to the 12 volt ignition wires. I was wondering if I need to do something similar with this car.

A blue wire from the Metra harness that is for a powered antenna which this car doesn't have. A blue and white wire from the JVC harness that is to the remote lead of other equipment or automatic antenna. Should these wires be put together? or should I just keep them separated in wrapped in electrical tape? She won't be using an amp or powered antenna, or anything like that. Just the stereo and speakers.

Finally a black wire from the metra harness. This one is the ground and there is not matching wire from the Metra harness. However, there is a large black wire that came unplugged from the back of the factory's head unit. (not the antenna adapter. haha) That is also a ground cable right? I could just cut off that square adapter and crimp them together? That would save me time in trying to find a place to mount a cable to the chassy.

Thanks for the help guys. I just want to make sure I do this right so I don't do something stupid and fry my mom's car. Haha

post-33400-0-46517300-1402723720_thumb.j

On the metra wiring diagram, the red wire is the 12 volt ignition and the yellow wire is the 12 volt batt/memory. But the JVC wire diagram is worded differently. It says that the yellow wire goes to a live terminal or constant 12 V, and the red wire goes to an accessory terminal. I went ahead and matched the wires by color, but I wanted to check with you guys before I plugged the stereo in and blew a fuse.

12v ignition = accessory terminal (provides power to radio only when key in ignition)

12v batt/memory = constant voltage (in event of battery disconnection settings will be remembered)

Metra Red = JVC Yellow

Metra Yellow = JVC Red

If you were to hook up red to red and yellow to yellow your radio would stay on all the time even if the car is turned off and key out of the ignition.  It will drain your battery in about 5-6 hours and leave you stranded.  Since you already have them wired up like this go ahead and try it.  You won't blow a fuse, no worries.  See if the radio will stay on with the car off. :)

The ground cable you can ground out to the metal dash support.  There's a screw in there somewhere that I used to ground mine.  Just find a screw on the metal frame around there somewhere, strip the cable back, wrap it around the screw, and tighten it down.

Crimps look very good by the way, good job.

Thanks! I thought I should switch those wires but wasn't sure. 

I saw a small hole in the metal frame earlier today, now that you mention it. I could get a nut and bolt and put it in there. I should sand down the area first, right? 

Any suggestions on the blue and orange wires?

I think you have the right idea for the orange wires.  Splice illumination into the 12v accessory so the head unit actually lights up. :) 

The 626 does have a dimmer switch so you'll have to figure out which wire to connect to that.  I have no idea which one it is on your year.  You'll want to hook up your white/orange dimmer wire to the stock dimmer wire (it's brown on the 93-97).  There's no guarantee that the resistance values will match up vs the stock dimmer switch and work as intended.  I imagine some systems might be different in how they use resistance scale.  Some might be dim on low resistance or bright on low resistance.  Can't make any guarantees it will be compatible.

If the blue wires go to a non-functioning antenna then I would wrap them up in tape.  They don't go anywhere.  Sounds like the other blue wire might be for an external amplifier.  If you aren't going to use them then wrap them in electrical tape and call it a day.

You might be able to find more info on the audio setup by reading the 1998 work shop manual available from pmx626.info.  I just looked in section 9-20 for entertainment system and there is nothing on the head unit only speaker troubleshooting.  You'll want to find a wiring diagram of the 1998 but I dont' know where one is.  It's not on that site.

Thanks for all your help djdevon3!!

The dimmer switch isn't really essential though, right? If it looks like it might be too much work, I will just tape it off as well.

I will try things out and let you know how it works! I wont be able to actually install it for a few days though, because we took the stereo out of one of a totaled car, and it didn't come with a metal sleeve for mounting. I don't want to be driving around with out one and the stereo falls out when I step on the breaks.  I might just do a quick switch out to let you know how it works.

You should be able to splice the dimmer wire into any of the power wires for nearby dash lights - they should drop in voltage with the dimmer switch on the left side of the dash. Check the specs on your radio to be sure what kind of signal it expects, of course.

ND28 and I tried to wired up his aftermarket unit to the stock MX6 dimmer wire.  Couldn't get it to work even though the aftermarket head unit had a wire for illumination.  Sometimes they just aren't compatible voltage signals.  If he had the owners manual for the head unit I might have been able to wire in a resistor to make the signal compatible but we didn't go that far.  Just tried to wire it up and didn't work that was all.

His unit had both illumination and dimmer though, didn't it? I'd definitely be curious as to what kind of signal it expects. If I have time, I'll pull the manual for it and see if I can come up with anything.