Is Shell Gas Bad Or Just My Car?

Dear All,

I have been using mobil super+ gas recently, it is giving me 21.5MPG city and 32 MPG highway with light traffic these two months. I tried shell v-power today but it is only giving me 30 MPG highway with no traffic at all...

So is shell gas bad or is it just my car?

By the way, I am using Mobil 1 ATF and engine oil. Is that the reason?

Dear All,

I have been using mobil super+ gas recently, it is giving me 21.5MPG city and 32 MPG highway with light traffic these two months. I tried shell v-power today but it is only giving me 30 MPG highway with no triffic at all...

So is shell gas bad or is it just my car?

By the way, I am using Mobil 1 ATF and engine oil. Is that the reason?

Wow you actually got 32 mpg on a V6? I barely got over 24 mpg highway at 70+mph. What speed were you driving at to get that mileage? I think that cars get the best mileage at around a steady 45-60 mph.

I don't know if shell gas is bad or not, it could just be the station you went to that's bad.

Yes. To be precise, since my tune up last December, I never got below 26MPG highway, and after the maintance this Feburary, I always get above 30 highway MPG.

The test method is the following: every 10~15days, two people will drive 100~130 miles to get groceries, basically all highway. Fill her up before and after to calculate the highway MPG. The speed is usually about 71~77MPH. Of course, use cruise control whenever more than three miles away from the exit and when there is no traffic. The temp in the Boston area during this period is 50~85F. From May, air conditioning is set at the lowest and the fan is at 2.

If you still think this is high, let me know. We can start going over the tune ups and maintance to see what is the key.

Best I did in my V6 was 28-29mpg. Have you verified that your speedometer is correct (meaning 60 mph is actually 60 mph)?

Honestly, way too many variables to determine if it truly is the fuel and not a number of other things.

I verified it a while ago. I use Torque app which directly access the ECU and my Garmin 2555 GPS. When my Garmin 2555 GPS says 75mph, the Torque app says 73.2mph. When my Garmin 2555 GPS says  80mph, the Torque app says 78.3mph.

So the speedometer should be accurate enough.

There's no way for anyone to answer that question but you.  You have to do process of elimination at your local gas stations to figure out if the gas is a potential issue.  By law gasoline needs to be within octane tolerances to be sold legally at the octane rating the station is selling it at.  If you suspect the gasoline is being tampered with (watered down somehow) to increase a stations profits or that the metering devices are tampered with then contact your county or states regulatory commission to lodge a complaint.  That could be a magistrates office or board of commissioners just depends on your county and state.  You can request to have the gas and metering devices tested.  If found guilty of tampering with either the fuel or the metering devices the station could lose it's license to sell fuel to the public. 

There's no way for anyone to answer that question but you.  You have to do process of elimination at your local gas stations to figure out if the gas is a potential issue.  By law gasoline needs to be within octane tolerances to be sold legally at the octane rating the station is selling it at.  If you suspect the gasoline is being tampered with (watered down somehow) to increase a stations profits or that the metering devices are tampered with then contact your county or states regulatory commission to lodge a complaint.  That could be a magistrates office or board of commissioners just depends on your county and state.  You can request to have the gas and metering devices tested.  If found guilty of tampering with either the fuel or the metering devices the station could lose it's license to sell fuel to the public. 

I will try a few more times before filing a complain. But winter is not that far away. Is it true that winter gas is bad bad and bad?

I doubt winter gas is bad as it has to pass the same tests summer gas does.

Best I've gotten out of my V6 was 26mpg a few years back. ATM its giving me 20.5mph but I excessively accelerate, drive all of 3 miles to work everyday and its also still running lean.

I get an average around 34-36 mpg on the highway with my 95 es v6. Of course I did take off that bulky, baffled stock muffler and replaced with a more freeflowing one. my daily drive is a 50 mile trip one way to work. I usually do 80 mph, and I always use shell v-power. I do try and look for other gas stations that do not put ethanol in their premium gas. I feel it tends to give you better mpgs than gas with ethanol.

I get an average around 34-36 mpg on the highway with my 95 es v6. Of course I did take off that bulky, baffled stock muffler and replaced with a more freeflowing one. my daily drive is a 50 mile trip one way to work. I usually do 80 mph, and I always use shell v-power. I do try and look for other gas stations that do not put ethanol in their premium gas. I feel it tends to give you better mpgs than gas with ethanol.

Do you have other modifications or just the muffler? Have you compared the result with and without the aftermarket muffler?

I was running an short ram intake, but the filter and VAF was too much weight and caused the plastic elbow to the intake to crack. So I'm back to a stock intake set up. I did compare it to when I had the stock muffler on, and I believe the highest mpg I ever saw with it was 28.3. I usually run 10w40 in the summer time for oil, and 10-30 in the winter. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but for now the muffler it the only performance modification.

I was running an short ram intake, but the filter and VAF was too much weight and caused the plastic elbow to the intake to crack. So I'm back to a stock intake set up. I did compare it to when I had the stock muffler on, and I believe the highest mpg I ever saw with it was 28.3. I usually run 10w40 in the summer time for oil, and 10-30 in the winter. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but for now the muffler it the only performance modification.

Could you give me a picture for both the stock and after market mufflers? Which after market muffler did you get?

I got a Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't want a louder car. Its got a nice, mellow tone while idling and above 3k rpms, which on the highway its tolerable. But the mid range from 2-3k is pretty loud. But the weight difference is pretty significant too. Also if tires are low on tread, that can hurt fuel economy too. I got new Fuzion Touring tires and when I got them put on I saw an increase of about 15-20 miles to a tank.

Heres pics. First two are stock, second two are aftermarket. On the inside pics you can see the difference of how the exhaust has to flow

post-32423-0-02278700-1402854892_thumb.j

post-32423-0-87977600-1402854923_thumb.j

post-32423-0-16063500-1402854984_thumb.j

post-32423-0-87431100-1402855072_thumb.j

Ethanol has 2/3 the calorific content of regular unleaded so it makes sense that you'd achieve roughly 3% poorer mileage on a 10% blend. Ethanol does, however, have a higher octane rating so with a timing advance the Otto cycle is more efficient, so you end up with the same mileage but more power.

As for Summer vs Winter fuel, the only difference is the RVP. This is reduced over Summer to reduce the amount of photochemical smog developing, but makes cars harder to start in the cold. As a result, many refiners add butane to their Winter mix to raise the RVP so starting is easier. Butane is also relatively cheap so Winter blends cost less.