I' starting to have an issue with my 626, but its hard to pinpoint on my own right now seen as its summer and 99% of my driving is on the motorcycle.

The last two times I drove my 626, It started and ran fine up until about a few miles from home after work, a 45-50 mile drive. It kind of started chugging and I noticed as it did this, the rpms dropped to zero and then kicked back up to the engines speed. Since I was close to home the first time, I left it on the side of the road and went to an appointment I had on the cycle. When I returned about an hour later I looked at things and noticed the intake tube had cracked more. So I wrapped really good with more duct tape, and reinstalled the stock intake system. Drove it home. No issues.

The second time, I got to the hr building for my job. When I took off to go to the plant I work in, I got about 150 feet, it chugged rpms dropped to zero and it stalled. Tried restarting, but it just kept turning over. rolled into a parked spot., and messed with a couple things under the hood and tried starting, to only turn over. I disconnected the battery for about thirty seconds, hooked it backed up and it started. Got me to work and back home. Close to home again though it started the chugging.

Is this a sign of the distributor going, out of time or what? Never had any vehicle I owned act like this.

It kind of started chugging and I noticed as it did this, the rpms dropped to zero and then kicked back up to the engines speed.

Classic sign of a faulty distributor or crankshaft position sensor.  My guess is distributor since the tachometer signal is from the distributor.  Check the cap/rotor first.  Might need to take it somewhere for a proper diagnostic.

Well, took the cap and rotor off yesterday. The points on the inside of the cap had some corrosion on them. So I cleaned it off, rotor still looks new, since I changed all of that when I bought the car. I let it sit for the night. This morning I went out to start it, and now it'll start and idle for a couple seconds, give a couple chugs then die. If I start it and hold the gas steady at 2k rpms, itll run great, no chugging or bouncing rpms. I'm in the middle of either the distributor or crank position sensor.

Hmm there is a possibility for a fuel related issue.  That's what I get for guessing over the internet.  When you get the no-start condition you have to check for both fuel pressure and spark.  There is a possibility it's fuel related.  Test the fuel pressure regulator too.

Now I'm a little more stumped but thinking along a different line. I went to make sure I had everything hooked up, and I did. So I tried starting it, and after it started, my gf came up and said it was making a weird click noise over by the fuse box. So I took each relay inside and pulled it and plugged it back in, and started the car and it ran as if it didn't have any issues two seconds ago. Could this be a sign that one of the relays are bad?

• 1 month later...

This warm start issue turned into a no start just cranking issue. Had more time recently this past weekend to make sure this beast was going to get me to and from work for the week, as my bike has plys showing on the rear tire. I had a really good feeling that is was the dist, because of the way it had been acting. Got one off a 97 626 from the local salvage yard for 50 bucks. Changed that right away, follow with just cranking. Me and my cousin went through everything. Checking for fuel, spark and air. After a whole afternoon of going through everything we both could possibly think of, I was going to rip in and change the crank position sensor. My cousin had been using the internet for things while we were working on it for the firing order and stuff(cant trust the shop anymore, I had been taking my vehicles to for ten years. Will tell the story if anyone wants to hear). Well, he started messing with something and I couldn't see what it was from the other side of the car. Asked him and he just said try starting it. She fired right up. Went to look and he hit the connector on the timing belt side of the engine and it died. Here its a connector in the wiring for the crank position sensor. I unplugged it and there was coolant all over it(part of my story with the shop) So I left it unplugged for a night to dry out. Been a whole week with no more no start or warm start issues.

Snailman nailed it, but it was to no fault of mine. Back in January my water pump went out and it had been really cold, so with no place to work on it without freezing, I opted to have a shop do it along with the timing belt. I had trusted this shop since I started driving, plenty of different jobs on many different vehicles. I get my 626 back the next day, and took a long drive to check everything out. All seemed ok. The next day, as me and the girlfriend are getting the kids in the car to go shopping, she asks me how long I've had a dent in my passenger side fender. I said I don't, and she replies well there is. I walk around to take a look and about a 1/3 of the fender is dented in. When I picked the car up, it was dark so didn't notice it right away. I don't get mad very easily, until my car is messed with. So my temper is pretty hot right now. I popped the hood to check everything. I had cleaned the engine with spray can degreaser and the garden hose, and use a wire brush on the intake manifold and front valve cover. It was very clean when I was done about a week before. When I got the hood propped up, I seen my hard work gone to waste. Finger prints all over, there was some sort of clear gel smeared on the under side of the hood, and my timing belt cover bolts weren't tightened down. As I'm tightening those down, something just didn't seem right. I stood back and looked at it for a minute. Then I realized the loop to pull the oil dip stick out was broke off. I'm going irate at this time and my girl is trying to calm me down. I calm down a little and decide to call them the next day so we could get our stuff done. We head off, and after the car is warmed up, I noticed at stops it was idiling at 1200rpm. I had gotten the idle under control after a throttle body cleaning a couple months before. So again I'm pretty mad. The next day, instead of calling I went down to the shop and asked tem about it. One of the mechanics that worked on it came out, and I showed him everything. He told me it was all like that when I dropped It off. I told him bs, I know how my car looked and ran before I brought it there. He told me there was nothing they could do about it, so I got in the car and left. I called after I had gotten to work and got a time set up to speak with the owner, which was a week later. Over the course of that week, I noticed one more thing. My front drivers tire was wearing excessively on the inside. I already had new tires waiting for me at the truck stop of the company I work for. So I didn't worry much about the tire wear, which has gone back to normal since the new tires. I go in to talk to the owner. I tell him everything, and we go out so I can show him. We went back inside and he goes into the shop to talk to the mechanics that did the job. When he came back, he told me all his mechanics said it was like that when I dropped it off. That broke my temper right there. I slapped the money for the rest of the bill I had on the couner, and said, Your little minions back there messed my car up and you can' do anything about it. The owner told me no because I couldn't prove it. I shook my head and said, I know exactly what my car looked like inside and out and under the hood. I know how my car ran, and exactly where it idled. Its been a total 180 since you guys worked on it. I was going to walk out, but turned around and finished with, you know Al, its really sad when I trusted you guys with every vehicle I had for ten years, never had an issue with any work performed, and now I'm going to be taking my business else where. It was shortly after that, that I was able to start riding the cycle. Then my rear tire on that strted getting low about three weeks ago and that's when I noticed this "warm start" issue. When me and cousin figured out the connector had coolant in it, I wanted to go back to the shop and chew them out again, but figured no I'll find somewhere I can trust hopefully.

Fenders get dented when mechanics lean on them.  It would take a rather large fat guy to make a large dent.  Look for the fattest guy in their shop and that's the guy that did it.  Pretty sure everyone knows how big I am and even I can only make a small dent.  I usually pop it right back out when I'm done working.  It would take someone about 300lbs to make a large dent.. unless they were resting their ass on it instead and rocking against it, hard.  Someone there is lying either way.  You don't put a large dent in a car without knowing you did it.  That sucks to hear you have to find another shop.

They do got a few big guys there. I know nothing hit it like some one sliding while stopping because there wasn't any other paint marks or anything that would hint towards it. It really sucks that places can't just be honest with their customers. I would still take my 626 there for certain things if they had just been honest with me.