Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
sharps7789

Ask Me Questions About Your 1988-1992 626 And I Will Answer Them :)

Basically im here as a guru to the 626's lol Ive repaired many many many of them, and im offering my help :) please ask me all the questions you want and ill answer them :)

• Like 2

Sweet!  Welcome to the forum.  Are you a technician or enthusiast?  If you have pictures please post them in the garage and/or visit the photo section of the forum.  Would love to see some projects you've worked on.  Welcome to Mazda626.net :)

Im a enthusiast mostly, but i know the ins and outs of the 88-92 series :) And ill definetely upload pics, I dont have a camera atm so ill find a pic on google close to mine :)

Sweet!  Welcome to the forum.  Are you a technician or enthusiast?  If you have pictures please post them in the garage and/or visit the photo section of the forum.  Would love to see some projects you've worked on.  Welcome to Mazda626.net :)

Its a wonder somebody hasnt popped in here yet, lol, takes time I guess :)

I suppose I could call myself an 88-92 'guru' or at least someone that knows exactly how to do almost anything on it...so you're not alone. I'm very happy to have another enthusiast on board, welcome indeed!

I've pulled an F2/F2T motor at least 10 times, dropped 3 trans, 3 N/A to turbo swaps, 6 head gaskets, 4 alternators, 4 water pumps, 2 oil pumps, 3 radiators, 4 fuel pump swaps and literally countless other repairs. I'm certain I could set a record for fastest engine pull haha, just make it a GD.

Disk brake swaps, DX to LX to GT swaps, suspension swaps, engine/trans swaps. And on my current 626, ATX to MTX swap. There's no bolt or nut on a GD chassis I haven't touched at some point lol.

Total GD ownership count is at 4 for me, and I've been lucky enough to have two local friends who at some point in time owned an 88-92 GD. I wish I woke up every day and went to work on GDs. (Besides my own)

I'm waiting for someone to do the Mazdaspeed 6 calipers in the front. I already plan on running the 1st gen Mazda 6 when I have to fix my brakes :smile:

I'm slightly more interested in the subaru caliper upgrade, but the mazda 6 calipers do seem tempting...

The 97ish(?) Subaru Legacy front calipers are a direct bolt on, and upgrade, so they say. I've only seen a few pictures of someone actually doing it.

Twin piston, the pads even fit.

For me, it's either buying reman suby calipers, or finding a 'good' pair at the junkyard...or even finding a Legacy at a junk yard for that matter...

I suppose I could call myself an 88-92 'guru' or at least someone that knows exactly how to do almost anything on it...so you're not alone. I'm very happy to have another enthusiast on board, welcome indeed!

I've pulled an F2/F2T motor at least 10 times, dropped 3 trans, 3 N/A to turbo swaps, 6 head gaskets, 4 alternators, 4 water pumps, 2 oil pumps, 3 radiators, 4 fuel pump swaps and literally countless other repairs. I'm certain I could set a record for fastest engine pull haha, just make it a GD.

Disk brake swaps, DX to LX to GT swaps, suspension swaps, engine/trans swaps. And on my current 626, ATX to MTX swap. There's no bolt or nut on a GD chassis I haven't touched at some point lol.

Total GD ownership count is at 4 for me, and I've been lucky enough to have two local friends who at some point in time owned an 88-92 GD. I wish I woke up every day and went to work on GDs. (Besides my own)

I am thinking about doing a current turbo swap to mine, dont know if i should or not, its quite peppy as it is and I love it :) I will make my 88 626 go a million miles, i wont sell it for anything :) I wish mazda was still currently making them, I am the only one in my county who owns a 626 ;)
  • Like 1

I will make my 88 626 go a million miles, i wont sell it for anything :) I wish mazda was still currently making them, I am the only one in my county who owns a 626 ;)

What country are you from?  There was a post a while back about certain tractors being sold with the F2 or FE motor.  Leev will know what I'm talking about and can reference it.  I'd love to see a GD go above 1 million.  That would be awesome.  With how passionate you are about your 626 sounds like you've finally found a website with other owners just like yourself.  Welcome aboard.

I will make my 88 626 go a million miles, i wont sell it for anything :) I wish mazda was still currently making them, I am the only one in my county who owns a 626 ;)

What country are you from?  There was a post a while back about certain tractors being sold with the F2 or FE motor.  Leev will know what I'm talking about and can reference it.  I'd love to see a GD go above 1 million.  That would be awesome.  With how passionate you are about your 626 sounds like you've finally found a website with other owners just like yourself.  Welcome aboard.

Im actually from USA, Kentucky, the county i live in i am the only one with a registered 626

Perfect! :smile:

I have a few questions.

First, I need to change out my ATX fluid soon and I'm looking at this for the fluid...

http://www.amazon.co...ng=UTF8&psc=1=

I've heard LITERALLY nothing bad ever about Royal Purple's grease and oils and from all the reviews on the amazon, it's nothing but good. Should I be ok with that or should I stay away?

Second, I've tested out my alternator on my car and the battery is fine and is at 12.73 volts with the engine not running. When running and EVERY electrical thing running except the power mirrors, I can get the voltage to drop down to 12.72 volts by rolling down the power windows and it can just be one window. Is the alternator to blame and need to be replaced or is there possibility that a fuse(s) or relay(s) need to be checked first and if so, what ones?

Third, have you ever replaced the drum brakes on the '88-'92 era 626s with disk brakes?

And lastly, if you could fight a horse sized duck or a 100 duck sized horses, which would you fight?

1. Royal purple is fine. I use Redline at the moment and will try Amsoil later on.

2. How did you test it? What is your battery voltage while running? If it isn't 14+, your alternator isn't working right.

3. That is a common mod I would think...

4. What the hell...

my car 1992 626 dx auto trany.

my car does not down shift when going up a hill or accelerating to pass.

it up shifts ok at normal driving, resent rebuilt engine.

I have a few questions.

First, I need to change out my ATX fluid soon and I'm looking at this for the fluid...

http://www.amazon.co.....ng=UTF8&psc=1=

I've heard LITERALLY nothing bad ever about Royal Purple's grease and oils and from all the reviews on the amazon, it's nothing but good. Should I be ok with that or should I stay away?

Second, I've tested out my alternator on my car and the battery is fine and is at 12.73 volts with the engine not running. When running and EVERY electrical thing running except the power mirrors, I can get the voltage to drop down to 12.72 volts by rolling down the power windows and it can just be one window. Is the alternator to blame and need to be replaced or is there possibility that a fuse(s) or relay(s) need to be checked first and if so, what ones?

Third, have you ever replaced the drum brakes on the '88-'92 era 626s with disk brakes?

And lastly, if you could fight a horse sized duck or a 100 duck sized horses, which would you fight?

Personally I dont use Royal purple ATX fluid, i dont use any royal purple fluid as the chemicals in it will eat away slowly at the seals, its a racing fluid not for everyday driving :) It cannot handle the wear of a daily driver unless you drive 100mph all the time lol.  That is a extremely good volt reading by the way, all cars will drop voltage as a load is applied to them as with these cars only have a 70 amp alternator, id say your battery is terrific to only drop .o1 volt :3 and so is your alternator if you can have everything running at the same time. Personally my belief is if it came on the car, it stays on the car, I would not switch drum to disc just because of nostalgic reasons, i have done it before with much success but i wouldnt reccomend it, stay with what youve got ;)

my car 1992 626 dx auto trany.

my car does not down shift when going up a hill or accelerating to pass.

it up shifts ok at normal driving, resent rebuilt engine.

check your vaccum lines going to your shift solenoid, you may have a pinhole leak and at high rpm it wont pull vacuum to let the fluid pass through the valve to downshift, normally its at the back of the transmission down at a weird angle, if thats not the case have your transmission oil and filter changed by a respectable mechanic :)

• Like 1

1. Royal purple is fine. I use Redline at the moment and will try Amsoil later on.

2. How did you test it? What is your battery voltage while running? If it isn't 14+, your alternator isn't working right.

3. That is a common mod I would think...

4. What the hell...

Awesome, I'm looking forward to using it!

I tested the alternator with my multimeter and checking voltages from the battery terminals. Voltages from the battery while running varied from like 14.3 to 13.8 to 14.8 to 13.2 and even all the way down to 12.72 when the windows were being rolled down. This is being checked with almost EVERY electrically controlled thing I could turn on, everything except the power mirrors and sunroof. That probably isn't good..

Just saw that post of taking a '97 Subaru Legacy's disk brakes and being able to probably bolt them right onto a second gen 626, that's freaking cool!

Perfectly valid question. :smile:

I have a few questions.

Personally I dont use Royal purple ATX fluid, i dont use any royal purple fluid as the chemicals in it will eat away slowly at the seals, its a racing fluid not for everyday driving :) It cannot handle the wear of a daily driver unless you drive 100mph all the time lol.  That is a extremely good volt reading by the way, all cars will drop voltage as a load is applied to them as with these cars only have a 70 amp alternator, id say your battery is terrific to only drop .o1 volt :3 and so is your alternator if you can have everything running at the same time. Personally my belief is if it came on the car, it stays on the car, I would not switch drum to disc just because of nostalgic reasons, i have done it before with much success but i wouldnt reccomend it, stay with what youve got ;)

Really, Royal Purple ATX fluid can do that? Well then... You'd think a racing geared transmission fluid could at LEAST hold up for daily driving, interesting.

I know voltages can vary when everything is running, but it seems strange to me that a voltage reading of about 14.6 or so volts can drop down to 12.72 volts and be ok?

Why don't you recommend drum to disk brakes other than nostalgia?

I've never heard about Royal Purple doing that. Racing oils or other lubrications can easily handle the daily driving routine. Racing is so much harder on everything in a car, so I don't see the logic.

Usually your voltages mean your alternator is going to fail. It shouldn't really be below 13.8, but I can test my car if you'd like to compare results.

I personally wouldn't bother with the Subaru brakes and just bolt up Mazda 6 brakes (1st gen, 2nd gen, or Mazdaspeed 6). I however would definitely do a disc conversion. Drums work great, but they heat up way too quick and do nothing.

I've never heard about Royal Purple doing that. Racing oils or other lubrications can easily handle the daily driving routine. Racing is so much harder on everything in a car, so I don't see the logic.

Usually your voltages mean your alternator is going to fail. It shouldn't really be below 13.8, but I can test my car if you'd like to compare results.

I personally wouldn't bother with the Subaru brakes and just bolt up Mazda 6 brakes (1st gen, 2nd gen, or Mazdaspeed 6). I however would definitely do a disc conversion. Drums work great, but they heat up way too quick and do nothing.

Ive had it eat transmission seals, rear main seals, axles seals, in my fathers chevrolet 350 he decided to put it in...  It has some kind of chemical in it that slowly degrades them, its something that is supposed to keep sludge down, I cant remember what it was called :/ Not to mention it is a synthetic, while synthetics are great fluids, if you run conventional and switch to full synthetic you will develop leaks cause the oil is thinner, Royal purple may have changed since when he has used it, but ive stuck by Pennzoil and Valvoline products as they work very well for me :) my alternator runs at 14.6 when charging, I thought he was talking about his battery earlier as why i said that 12.7 was good ^^; I was rushing and trying to get ready for work..

Sorry for the mixup on the voltages guys, I was in a hurry, anywhere in the 13.8 to 14.6 range is good on alternator and 12.7 to 12.8 is good on a battery

I have a few questions.

Really, Royal Purple ATX fluid can do that? Well then... You'd think a racing geared transmission fluid could at LEAST hold up for daily driving, interesting.

I know voltages can vary when everything is running, but it seems strange to me that a voltage reading of about 14.6 or so volts can drop down to 12.72 volts and be ok?

Why don't you recommend drum to disk brakes other than nostalgia?

I just dont really bother with drum to disc.. to me its unneccesary cause i dont speed in my car or anything like that so i dont need the extra stopping power.. plus im a poor guy :P refer to what i said above about the royal purple fluids, great fluids for racing no doubt but i wouldnt use on the street in my opinion, people may call me crazy about it eating seals and i can take that but that is my experience with it, I use walmart SuperTech ATX fluid in my other vehicles and it works just fine as its supposed to be changed in intervals anyways :)