good day all,

i am from south africa and need some vital information please.

i bought the mrs an 626 V6 2.0(KF-ZE) and the motor decided to give in with a heat seize after 486000km. i now bought the mx6 V6 2.5(KL-ZE) which is perfect accept for 1 small issue. there is damage on the head where the distributor goes in as it broke the cam and the retainer for the distributor under the valve cover. the head is still in tack with no other damage so i can just change a cam and retainer then it should be good to go.

now the questions i have is as follows.........

1. what is the difference between the KF01 and the KL01 camshafts

2. is there any othe major difference between the KF and the KL engines accept the bore and stroke?

3. will the management system from the KF be able to run the KL engine?

please guys i need help on this little issue as no one in south africa can give me advise on the above. 

Not sure what the difference is, but if you had a KLZE engine, the cams should be stamped KL31 (Check this out first!) and if they are, I would only recommend getting a new cam for a ZE. If they are KL01 marked, they are from a KLDE, and is very cheap to get from US :)

The rest I cannot answer on.

Not sure what the difference is, but if you had a KLZE engine, the cams should be stamped KL31 (Check this out first!) and if they are, I would only recommend getting a new cam for a ZE. If they are KL01 marked, they are from a KLDE, and is very cheap to get from US :).

the current cams motor that i bought is marked KL01. the cams in the old engine is marked KF01.

i wish i had a set of KL31`s but here in South Africa......highly unlikely.......

my main concern is, can i fit the KF01 cams in the KL engine as they come from my old KF engine. it wil save me to go and buy KL cams which is hard to find here as it is.

suggestions????

Not many folks in the US have played around with the KF motor; we had a 1.8L version here called the K8 in the MX-3 for a couple of years, and that car is pretty rare around here.  I've only seen about half a dozen in my lifetime, with most of those being in the scrapyard.

The cam will bolt up, but the question is if the lobe profile is the same.  You could test this yourself by taking a dial caliper and bolting it with a swingarm over the top of the head with the valve cover removed.  Then just rotate the cam (or the engine, if the timing belt is still on) and measure the lobe displacement.

Keep in mind, you will also want a way to make sure the valve timing is also the same....you can do this by taking note of the displacement at known reference points during the rotation (look at the cam pulley's orientation relative to the head...there are various alignment marks/dots).

Another place you might try researching it on probetalk.com, those guys tended to experiment more with other motors than us 626ers.

RotorCraze : If you need parts let me know I ship to South Africa all the time so I know I can help you there. Sorry but I dont know the answer that you are looking for...

as suggested try probetalk.com

I have looked there over the years for some info and it was helpful to what I was looking for.

Dan

RotorCraze : If you need parts let me know I ship to South Africa all the time so I know I can help you there. .

Dan

good to know someone that do ship part to RSA. will seriously keep in mind. there are a lot of parts i have in mind to bring in so i will keep you posted.

as for the lobe displacement and the valve timing they seem to be the same as i have measured it with a vernier gauge and if i am correct and my eyes have not played up on me it looks spot on. the problem is i have read on all the other forums that the KF01 cams are rated as the worst cams ever. why? to me they look and after measurement looks like the KL cams

Perhaps the people complaining are referring to the intake cams (as opposed to exhaust, which is the one you need to replace).  Or, they don't know what they are talking about.

Either way, sounds like you have a winner!

Also, the KF ECU will run the KL, BUT you must make sure you use the airflow sensor that goes with that ECU.  For some reason they can be different between the engine families, even though they are the same diameter.  If they are the same part number, then either one will work.

Also, it ultimately wouldn't hurt to get a KL ECU (or reflash your KF ECU) to get the optimal VRIS, ignition, and fuel curves/timings for your KL.

the current cams motor that i bought is marked KL01. the cams in the old engine is marked KF01.

i wish i had a set of KL31`s but here in South Africa......highly unlikely.......

my main concern is, can i fit the KF01 cams in the KL engine as they come from my old KF engine. it wil save me to go and buy KL cams which is hard to find here as it is.

suggestions????

Well if the cams are stamped KL01 it is either a KL-DE engine or a KL-ZE with changed cams. I would guess on the first one.

Now I have seen a complete set of KL01 cams go for $25 on facebook pages, and I am sure somebody got one you can get you one, and the shipping would be within acceptable range, if you'd like, I can ask how much someone will charge?

I wouldn't bother with trying the KF01 cams, ever heard of Murphy's law?

Would that then be a candidate for the Millenia OBD-II MAF swap?  I mean if he can run the KL ECU then why not the Millennia ECU with MAF?  Not my intention to make things more complicated than they need to be.  Just wondering if it might work better for him if it's possible.

Would that then be a candidate for the Millenia OBD-II MAF swap?  I mean if he can run the KL ECU then why not the Millennia ECU with MAF?  Not my intention to make things more complicated than they need to be.  Just wondering if it might work better for him if it's possible.

Good idea Dj, that would actually do it, and with a KLG4 manifold, he would get the correct VRIS values too, but then again the MAF swap costs a bit "/

Manifold is a completely different subject.  Will a KL manifold actually fit and work on a KF?  If it does then that would open up a lot of options for parts sourcing from the US that will keep him supplied well into the future.  I would imagine KL parts are easier to source than KF.  Dan can probably find him stuff either way just the KL stuff I'm sure Dan would have a much easier time finding in his US databases.

ok guys.....slow down here.

i am using the bottom of the 2.5. the heads of the 2.5. intake of the 2.5. MAF and all other sensors of the 2.5.

the only part i am changing is the exhaust cam on cylinders 2,4 and 6. the rest will still remain KL01, its only the 1 in have to change to a KF01 cam.

the KF engine is stuffed and will be rebuild to a turbo motor as spare that will use a dictator management system then i don't have to stress about silly sensors which is unnecessary in my eyes. 

so........now back to the issue. does anyone see issues with me using 1 KF01 cam on the dizzy bank? the rest will all still remain KL01 cams!

Ohhh sorry I thought you had a KF and putting KL parts in not the other way around.  Well that makes it easier.  I'll shut up now.

lol........

its ok. i thought there was a misunderstanding!

we human and allowed to make mistakes. thats why i ask before i just do.....

I can ask if anyone has one for sale if you'd like?

uhm.......sounds brilliant.

problem.........

how do i get it to South Africa and how soon?

i am still hunting cams here so if it gets to that i will source one from somewhere else in the world

thank you for the offer