Hello from the united kingdom! I'm not sure if there's many from this part of the world on here but there isn't any decent Mazda forums around, From what I've seen anyway.

Anyway this is my car, A 1983 Mazda 626. Its an early one with electric nothing! Its done 74000 miles and its a minter. I'm just going to post pictures as it stands now & I'm happy too take any questions!

Plans are really now are too find or make some coilovers too fit it. I want the 13's too be tucked under there with some stretched tyre. And then some japanseseness 

img-367612-1-9646199144_f0393d999b_c.jpg

img-367612-2-9642946251_82d48d022c_c.jpg

img-367612-3-9646164376_906353a96c_c.jpg

img-367612-4-9646141146_646c0028e4_c.jpg

img-367612-5-9642884011_41e03820bf_c.jpg

img-367612-6-9646100746_3eca03e469_c.jpg

img-367612-7-9642839835_cae5f84067_c.jpg

img-367612-8-9642815889_5900d11637_c.jpg

img-367612-9-9642784427_0efb77c33f_c.jpg

img-367612-10-9646001652_740c314cc1_c.jp

img-367612-11-9642745225_dea8e24b4b_c.jp

img-367612-12-9642723833_0308a8e1c0_c.jp

img-367612-13-9642702401_fd256270c8_c.jp

img-367612-14-9642677237_58a12caffa_c.jp

Yes very tidy & welcome aboard.

I would not have thought there would be too many of those left in the UK.

Yours looks like it might be a 1.6 or 1.8L engine. Also it's unusual for an 83 UKDM car to have a long nose front. I thought they were the same spec as AUSDM cars which didn't get the long nose front on the four door models until the series II (mid '85 on).

• Like 1

Cheers guys!

This one is an LX, 1.6. I did have an 84 626 GLX 2.0 for my first car 5 year ago. Im not sure what your on about with the nose? Iv only seen/had long nose ones.

Yeah there 13s! Over here they had 13s standard. I love the car.. it gets so many looks already

Australian models had a short nose. Our crash regulations were quite lax compared to the rest of the world so didn't require as much of a crumple zone. Have a look at your engine bay and have a look at mine - 734191_4497274664353_1591685493_n.jpg

Notice directly behind the headlights mine doesn't have a gap? That's the pug nose version :smile:

13" wheels would be easier to source tyres for I presume, 14" you're limited quite a bit. Yes you end up with a few looks as the car is quite conspicuous now, especially if it looks and sounds the part.

1.6L & 1.8L versions came with 13" wheels as stock. I am not sure 13" tyres are any easier to come by than 14s now. These days about the only tyres available above 60 profile are 4WD tyres.

It's funny I've only ever seen the brochure for the car in from a UK site not the actual car. It showed a short nose model like the Australian ones so I just assumed that's what was being sold in the UK.

It appears not.

I don't mind the wheels but those tyres look like theyre stretched on, you need wider ones. Plus the offset must be really messing with the steering.

I had custom 14x7s on mine with 225/60/14s before I decided to go to 16" wheels as the tyres were becoming too hard to get.

The only real picture I have is this one below, while I was in the middle of the GD suspension & 5 stud hub conversion. Fronts are the 14x7s I was referring to. Rears are 205/50/16s on those steels which are now my spare.

img-367648-1-GCleftsidesmall.jpg

Wheel & tyre closer below. Its a series II centre cut and welded into a 14x7 steel rim. The idea was that they looked almost stock but with tyres filling the guards better. They only just fitted mind you without rubbing inside & outside. The offest was decided on car and I don't remember what it was.

img-367648-2-axlenutoff.jpg

The car rides on FC wheels now. I like them as they match the era of the car plus they are light which keeps the unsprung weight down.

img-367648-3-ThecarwithFCwheels.jpg

Yeah I see what you mean with the nose difference! Oh it definitely sounds the part! That exhaust pops and all sorts & there's still two boxes left! I actually drove past some kids last night and one shouted out 'Wooow! Look how awesome those wheels are!'. Made me laugh!

I know the tyres are rather balloon like! But the look good at the moment. When I get round too going lower I'm putting lower profiles on with a little stretch. The wheels dont mess too much with the steering, Its heavy to start with so not much of a difference.

Yeah I see what you mean with the nose difference! Oh it definitely sounds the part! That exhaust pops and all sorts & there's still two boxes left! I actually drove past some kids last night and one shouted out 'Wooow! Look how awesome those wheels are!'. Made me laugh!

I know the tyres are rather balloon like! But the look good at the moment. When I get round too going lower I'm putting lower profiles on with a little stretch. The wheels dont mess too much with the steering, Its heavy to start with so not much of a difference.

High sidewalls are great when you have terrible roads like here... although if I had nice smooth motorways all day I'd be tempted to reduce the profile :smile:

• 2 months later...

Stretched tires are a bit overkill if you're not sitting with the wheels tucked inside the wheel wells.  Are you running spacers those things are popped out pretty far.  What's up with the tape on the headlight and taillight?  Poor bumper. :(  Is that an external tranny cooler or intercooler?  I like the lower lip is that stock?  Tailpipe is interesting.  Car is polished up and paint looking pretty.  All of the light housings look in excellent shape too.  Great looking car.  I think you could go with some bigger rims to fill those wheel wells but I do love the rims you have.  They totally work.  Great job man.  Still have a little work here and there to get her looking her best.

Wow no one notice the "Racing seat" (Car seat for the little kids) for the little one :thumbsup: ..

anyway Welcome to the forum.. Nice looking ride :drool: Drool... My 1st 626 was an 84 automatic I would have killed someone for different tail lights for that as here in the US we all had Red in the rear and you have Red & amber..

Dan

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It is gorgeous car.

Is there original paint on it? What set of bulbs have You installed in front lights?

Hope to see more inetresing news and photos about.

Thanks mate

The paints original but I hope to get a full body respray after I find a replacement bonnet.

There HIDs, I know there not exactly legal (over here anyway) but I've had no problems

I'm not a fan of the tail pipe though.  Too Japanese rice.  I think the car would look much better with a nice stainless exhaust tip.  Bang out some of that body damage too please.  It's very close to being a pristine and timeless look.  I'm not talking about sticking to OEM purity or anything like that.  Just from a clean body line standpoint and the damage cuts into that look.  Love the wheels and the paint.  It's a beautiful car how it is right now for sure.  Just think it can be improved to the point it would be drool worthy.  From most angles it is already drool worthy.  Looking at it from the back detracts a little bit from the rest of the quality.

Thanks for the comment Devon! If you don't like the exhaust now your going to hate what I'm doing next. Twin up swept with removable bozo pipes aha! Sorry it's just the style I'm going for...

The body work though I'm working on, Once I find a bonnet it's having a full respray.

Here's a couple more pictures of it with show plates too. Filthy but it's clean now...

13604441044_373188a3f6_c.jpg

13604317304_25cea92c83_c.jpg

13603917275_e2425aba53_c.jpg

13603909025_c9da579a5c_c.jpg

Maybe you need a pair of black boot reflectors like was had on the coupe. Then you spray paint the bit behind the number plate black too. It makes the car look wider.

Also those the 626 badges on the LH corner of the bootlid, they always fade on the GC. I used GD ones but not all the holes line up.

I am not a fan of the uphill tail pipe. IMO there is no substitute for a decent 2.5" system all the way or at least the last bit if only for appearance. IMO make it go straight out or face it down.

P.S tint the windows. Having spent time in the UK, I know the sun doesnt have the punch it does down here, but a "limo" tint i.e. 15-25% VLT looks good.

Other options are to black paint the B pillar and the door frames like the SDX models (not sure on the UK spec equivalent).

My 2 Pence!

P.S tint the windows. Having spent time in the UK, I know the sun doesnt have the punch it does down here, but a "limo" tint i.e. 15-25% VLT looks good.

Other options are to black paint the B pillar and the door frames like the SDX models (not sure on the UK spec equivalent).

The UK has the sun lower in the sky for more of the year... less solar radiation but more inclined to affect more of the interior...

Your earlier post... my wife's Elantra has 65 profile tyres... but I know what you mean, profile is becoming ridiculous these days...