KitKat

Battery Light Comes On Only When Brake

10 posts in this topic

I have a 1999 Mazda 626, V-6, 2.5L, Automatic, 157K miles. I got my oil changed the other day, then later that night I realized that the red battery light on my dash was on. My car was still on and it had not died. So now when I drive the battery light only comes on when I brake or slow down, then goes off when I accelerate. I went back to where i got my oil changed to see if they might have accidentally done something, they were no help, and also said that they don't touch anything else when doing an oil change. I'm really hoping i don't need a new alternator, as those are kinda expensive. I also don't need anything too long term, as I am hoping to buy a new car in 6-12 months.

Also, my car has yet to die while having this problem.

Any responses would be helpful/appreciated, and please keep it simple and dumb, I really don't know much of anything about cars. I just want to make sure i don't get way overcharged by a mechanic or end up getting the battery replaced then finding out it is the alternator that is bad.

Sounds more like a loose battery terminal that becomes slightly disconnected when the car is shifted forward (during braking).

Does it do it too in daytime when you don't have to turn on the headlights?

I agree, id check your battery connections and make sure the battery terminals arent faulty themselves. Otherwise it could be a dying battery, or failing alternator. Autozone or advanced auto do free Charge system inspections i know. ;)

Yes it does it at daytime and nighttime. I haven't been using my stereo and a/c. My tail light bulbs are fine.

My other car did that when my alternator started to die out. Like mono said, autozone or advanced auto can check your battery and make sure if your alternator is charging for free. I'd check your terminals first, if that's not the issue, have it tested.

Take it to your local Autozone or Advance Auto Parts store and have them check your battery and alternator if it's charging, including when you're holding down your brakes. The check should be free if you live in the U.S. Have those check first before arriving to your conclusion and we'll help guide you.