Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
NDM

Scheduled Downtime April 25 For Server Migration

Lately I've been really busy with work(startup life) so I've hired a 3rd party to migrate us to our new server.

*edit* The migration should be happening sometime today or tomorrow, exact timeframe unknown.

Im going to redirect mazda626.net to a tempoary page when the site is offline.

Current Server

(1X) Quad Core E3-1230 (4 logical cores, 8 hyperthread cores)

16gb Ram

2 X 1 TB harddrives

1GBPS port

Rent

New Server:

(2x) Quad Core L5520 (8 logical cores, 16 hyperthreaded cores)

36gb Ram

2 x 128gb Crucial M4 SSD Hard Drives (Mirrored in raid1)

1 x 1TB Storage disk (for backups)

1GBPS port

12 Month Rent to Own

Why Were Upgrading/moving?

1) More Reliable Company/DataCenter: We've had alot of random outages with VolumeDrive, its gotten pretty old/annoying.

2) Better Support: Dacentec has a much better support reputation than volumedrive,

3) Rent-to-Own: means that 12 months from now the server cost will drop to only having to pay a colocation fee, which will be 30-$50 per month (as opposed to roughly $115-135 rental). Example is if I moved a year ago we would have saved at least $800.00 in server costs.

4) Current I/O Issues: The current server is having alot of backup I/O issues causing some horrible site performance at night when the backups are happening.

5) SSD Speed: SSD performance is top notch and should make the site/server even quicker.

6) Minor Cost increase: We are paying exactly the same amount for the new server as the old server. (Minus a extra 20.00 per month for the second SSD)

7) More CPU Powa! More Logical Processors = Better web server performance for multithreaded applications.

8) More Ram: Honestly we didn't really need the ram, we hardly use everything we currently have [mazda626.net normally uses 2-3gb], but since 36gb is such a ridiculous amount it gives us opportunities to experiment and grow the community in unique ways. One proposal by Xenomorph was to run a racing simulation server for Rfactor 2 http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/, but were open to other ideas too!

Overall:

The benefits are undeniable, and this is a fantastic short term(1 year) investment, because it will save a huge amount in server costs, which means we can invest more into the site and additional projects. Also the speed improvements also should be pretty awesome, I'm hoping for: click = instant pageload

• Like 2

Great news! Thanks lads!!

4 hours of downtime. Guess I'll go work on my car instead of getting fat sitting here post whoring. 4 whole hours... Hmm maybe I'll go take a drive... because I can! If the site is down past 5pm I'm gonna get antsy.

I'm looking forward to the new server :smile:. I think it would be cool to have an rFactor 2 server, especially if we can get that 626 vehicle for the game (I'm told it exists)

I haven't seen anywhere here where we are able to support the page, I am sure this isn't going to be cheep.

Sounds good, wished I knew more about program technical terms concerning servers. Thanks NDM for breaking it down for us to understand.

I barely passed my C++ class back in high school because I couldn't understand basic programming :P. What I also didn't understand at the time was how everybody in my classmates understood it but I couldn't when the teacher's pace was moving so fast like he assumes everybody already knows this stuff :ike:. I'm rearing off subject now lol

just as an update, the New Server has been configured, were just waiting on the migration. The admin had to help another client whose backups corrupted though so our timetable may get pushed back a little bit (or possibly happen tomorrow).

I will keep you all posted!

Also for actual downtime after the transfer starts were probably looking at anywhere from 1-2 hours downtime (possibly less).

*update* should be happening today, will reupdate when I'm given a specific time.

Thanks,

-Josh

Go Go Gadget UPDATE! I have another video to edit so this will work out just fine. Update away good sirs.

Wow just love the specs of new server :thumbsup: , Ssd hard drives make big difference on boot time and performance :biggrin:

Yay! Can we do games now? ^____^

Heck yeah, Its going to be awesome. I'm opening up a thread in general chat to discuss what we can do with all this new found powa!

Also ditto on loving the specs me too! I just wish my laptop was close to this power I'm still running a old 1.7Ghz Core 2 Duo.

Also I apologize for the tempoary hang on post submission issue. I'm looking into it, but we will be doing a mini migration to a brand new virtual machine sometime today/tomorrow(10-20 mins of downtime anticipated).

Heck yeah, Its going to be awesome. I'm opening up a thread in general chat to discuss what we can do with all this new found powa!

Also ditto on loving the specs me too! I just wish my laptop was close to this power I'm still running a old 1.7Ghz Core 2 Duo.

Also I apologize for the tempoary hang on post submission issue. I'm looking into it, but we will be doing a mini migration to a brand new virtual machine sometime today/tomorrow(10-20 mins of downtime anticipated).

Well I got a computer with i5, ssd and fair good graphics card, But I hardly use any heavy programs maybe Virtual machine sometimes but other then that unless you're a gamer or graphics designer, Core 2 duo is still pretty good, What I am trying to say here is we all want everything regardless of if we have use of it or not :biggrin::P

Also congrats on new server and its great that its all up and running, Browsing is fairly fast but still taking bit of time on posting something :rolleyes:

Edit: Editing didn't take long at all just saying :w00t:

I am glad you have noticed the "hang on post submission", I thought I was imagining things and that there was something wrong with my home

and work computers. :thumbsup:

The hanging was noticed by the admins minutes after the migration. I assure you they've prioritized that as a major issue and have been hard working towards fixing it.

The hanging was noticed by the admins minutes after the migration. I assure you they've prioritized that as a major issue and have been hard working towards fixing it.

Oh yeah absolutely, were all over it. Bit thank you everyone for reporting the problem, the more times we here it the better evidence and the higher we bump priority of getting the problems fixed. Luckily the site still works, its just a big annoyance when you try to reply.

I'm glad that it's a fairly widespread issue, meaning that its most likely not a routing/network issue and more just a problem with the actual server setup. Which means whenever I can get this new VM finished and the site moved over, everything should snap back to normal (fingers crossed).

slow posting has been fixed, enjoy everyone!

Turns out it was some SEO stuff bundled with ipboard, the site was trying to ping all these webservices on post, and it couldn't reach half of them hence all the lag. But now everythings perfect, enjoy!

We are changing servers more often than i change my socks :D

Is there a reason for this arms race? or do we just want to be "the best"? :D

Wow Zep, remind never to be around you without shoes...

• Like 1

We are changing servers more often than i change my socks :D

Is there a reason for this arms race? or do we just want to be "the best"? :D

Well its just a matter of staying modern and speedy.

The two biggest changes between the old VM and the new one (all within the same server)

1) Centos 5 64bit ---> Centos 6 64bit

I still haven't switched over to the new virtual machine, but its just kind of like windows vista vs windows 7, were trying to migrate over to windows 7. Except our windows 7 is insanely customized secured, and tweaked all the way down to custom kernels. I actually don't have much more on my list to setup for the new server other than our search system, so should be moving over any day now (but less urgency needed since the major post hang issue was fixed).

2) LAMP Stack --> LEMP Stack

I installed a LEMP stack as a test on one of my webdesign client servers, and it performed amazingly well very snappy and very stable. Nginx is the game changer here it scales better than apache, and provides more stable speeds. Apache kind of bounces all around. The real world result were going to see is the connect times for everyone for the website should get lower.

The reason why I focus so much on getting connect times low is and the website optimized so well is because we have a significant part of our community(33.34%) overseas, the faster I can make it, the better the overseas browsing experience will be.