Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Djjkfno

Crankshaft Bolt Size

What size is the head of the crankshaft pulley bolt?

I want to be prepared for a timing belt change on a friends car, if it's an odd size, I'd like to get the right socket beforehand.

/Andreas

Point of information -- I don't know the year of your car but I'm doing TB & WP right now. My 2000 626 LX mt has a 21mm crank bolt. I'm certain of that as I loosened it last night. Good Luck.

It's a 2001 with the FS engine. It's called 626 H.P. here in Sweden, 136 bhp. Is it possible that there are different size bolts? Seems wierd to me, but luckily I've got a 21 socket aswell.

I'd guess that anything is possible, different size bolts on same model for diferent years or marketed in different countries. FYI, Trebuchet03 posted an excellent guide for TB and WP replacement :

(Click here: Changing Your Timing Belt And Water Pump - Tutorials & How To Guides - Mazda626 Forums) which I'm using for my job. I did find, however, that I had some bolt or nut sizes that differed from the guide which might be due to model year differences. In that guide, he has a nice "trick" for loosening the crank 21mm or 32mm bolt. Your car will be on jack stands. If your wrench, bar, etc, can reach to the ground with or without a pipe extension, pull the "bar" down to contact the ground and then "blip" the starter. The bar/socket is fixed and the starter will spin the crank pulley loosening the bolt. I did not have a long enough breaker bar or pipe extension handy. I rotated the bar clockwise until it contacted the lower suspension arm.and secured it against the arm with some 1/4" rope. Hit the starter for a second and checked the chalk mark I'd put at 6:00 o'clock on the pulley. It had moved about 30 degrees and was loose. There you go.

Thanks guys. Already printed out Trebuchet03's excellent guide and all the relevant workshop manual pages.

this is the first I have a go at a timing belt, I've only been into mechanics since springtime last year, but forums and helpful people like you, has helped me do everything I've needed done to my own and friends cars.

Sorry for this little OT, I just wanted to say thanks. :-)

Anyway, if you have any thoughts, tips and tricks, that isn't in Trebuchet03's thread or in the manual, share. ;-)