Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
ND28

Nd28's Goldmember '94 Mx6 Ls Worklog/build

Oh god you want to redo all that work again just to cut 2 coils. Don't you remember those 2 rear lower strut bolts? No way I'm letting you go through that alone. This is madness... :frantics:

img-363061-1-tumblr_m8moqjZhC81qjsuv7o1_

You'd better be absolutely sure it's something you want to do before we begin. There's got to be a reason for those extra coils. Contact Tokico and see what they think. I know people cut coils all the time and yes even though I agree those 2 coils seem like they do nothing you have to admit we're not suspension experts (yet).

Do I hear the sound of a dead horse being beaten???

• Like 1

There's a reason there called dead coils. You can cut them without issue as long as you cut them inline with where they originally ended so there position installed is unchanged. If that makes sense.

It does make sense. When it comes to suspension stuff you guys know that's not my thing. If you say they'll be fine that's good enough for me. Recommend a way to cut them? Hacksaw is what I usually rely on but that will take forever on those fat meghan coils. Dremel? :huh: I have a jigsaw but it's kind of broken and dangerous, more likely to cut off a finger than what your aiming at.

reciprocating saw usually. I would mark the coil where you want it cut and throw it in a bench vice to keep it from moving while you cut. Damn I wish you guys were closer.

Vise is definitely on my list. I actually have a big Milwaukee Sawzall I forgot about because it's in storage. Andy, when I get the vise I think we'll be ready to take on your coil project. Thanks Ike.

I forgot about electric versions of the pneumatic tools I have. Those would work great if you have them.

Comparison pic of the freshly painted rear 98+ 626 calipers.

post-25546-0-27823200-1372103516_thumb.j

post-25546-0-78531000-1372103547_thumb.j

While i still had some caliper paint left, the 2002 626 rear sway bar got a nice coat and installed(finally!) In the car.

post-25546-0-20907900-1372103685_thumb.j

Nice coloring man, but why did you chose black/greyosh and blue?

I already took them apart and cleaned them(supa muddy) and prep for paint (previous owner painted them blue), just gonna paint them OEM silver , ah I can spare a 7HP from Red caliper paint :P

^

Nice coloring man, but why did you chose black/greyosh and blue?

^ Sorry man but I LOL so hard my face hurts :lol: . Someone tried To paint them blue, you can see the great job they did :rofl: . I just had to cover up that mess with some silver paint.

Just kiddin, I like the silver color, same as on my DD :)

How smal rims can you use? I got 14" winter rims so thats why I havent got a set of M6 brakes,and I also have an garage full of standard calipers and stuff so free of charge when replaceing :P

Replaced the seized/leaking rear MX6 calipers for 98+ 626 rear calipers but reused the MX6's caliper bracket so that I could reuse the MX6 rear rotors, so it's kinda Hybrid lol! (half MX6, Half 98+)

Once I order the 98+ 626 rear disk rotors I just swap the caliper brackets and call it a day, However, I can't seem to be able to remove the rear rotors, I searched the web but nothing..

Here are the pics, courtesy of Djdevon3: http://mazda626.net/topic/40848-djdevon3s-recognizer/page-88

I'm happy with the rear brake half swap, the car stops now haha! and It had it's 2nd oil change with the ZR1 filter too, oh and painted the front calipers to match the rears, just silver, looks clean, I like it.

Also put a "Mazda" emblem on the front lip, it's white enamel, nice contrast with the black lip, came from an old Protege but is the same as the 80's MX6 and 626...

Yup yup, let's see how long it takes me to finish this up, so far I soldered 3 wires then watched 2 hours worth of tutorials on how-to solder hahaha...

post-25546-0-10156300-1372554908_thumb.j

post-25546-0-70340100-1372554946_thumb.j

I have all the parts needed for the MAF swap, just need to get an old VAF's connector to make this whole thing plug n play like Scot (Pile), so all it will need is a 12V acc On + source :)

...this may take a while

^ Indeed, Finished it August 7th lol!

For all the work we put into your brakes she better stop on a dime. Your MX-6 is one beautiful machine. Bring her up again soon and we'll figure out some more stuff to do. Next time we take video though. :mad: As for the soldering just take 1 wire at a time you'll be a pro by the end of that harness. :P

• Like 1

Learning by doing :) Like welding, it takes practise to get pretty.

Also, be carefull when sildering the wires to the black conenctor, if you heat it to much it will melt and the pins will fall out :)

Also, heat shrink is awsome for covering the conenctions!

• Like 1

I didn't realize I wasn't subbed! Thanks for letting me drive your beast, man. My brakes feel like crap now in comparison! :P

It's too bad you guys don't have anything but straight roads down there! You don't even get to play with that suspension and sway bar!

@Z tnx for the heads up ;)

@Prince, welcome aboard brothar! You may want to bleed your brakes and to replace that old brake fluid, I bet ya that Will help "trust me" lol !

Some pics I wanted to share with my Mazda family of my beloved Mazda MX-sex E (for some reason these look way better in my Galaxy S 3 than on my M11x R3 Alienware, weird!)
post-25546-0-12499400-1372723264_thumb.j
post-25546-0-79312500-1372723331_thumb.j
post-25546-0-33836200-1372723385_thumb.j

I think my pads are just about done. The pedal isn't mushy, it just has a lot of travel before it does anything. It makes heel toe braking easy, but I think they need replaced.

I can't see the pics currently, but I've noticed all of my pictures look way better on my Canon camera vs on the computer. The screen on the S3 is exceptionally vivid. I'd guess it's higher quality than your Alienware.

From hanging with Scott (Pile of rd1) i can say that using a low grade soldering gun is gonna slow you down more then anything else. He was burning them out every two days doing his harness's. He ended up buying a soldering station thats designed for alot of use. And that has made his harness's much nicer, and cleaner. Plus it heats up instantly, and doesnt overheat like the cheap one's do after running them for 3 straight hours.

Soldering stations are awesome. That was some of the best money I spent as I have used it countless times (recently I repaired my guitar cable).

I got it from Radio Shack.

RadioShack-64-2185.jpg

Oh, I also usually set the temperature to 626 just for the novelty of it :smile:

• Like 1

Yup yup, let's see how long it takes me to finish this up, so far I soldered 3 wires then watched 2 hours worth of tutorials on how-to solder hahaha...

attachicon.gif20130612_003202.jpg

attachicon.gif20130612_015533.jpg

I have all the parts needed for the MAF swap, just need to get an old VAF's connector to make this whole thing plug n play like Scot (Pile), so all it will need is a 12V acc On + source :)

...this may take a while

YOU GOT A KLG8!!??!

Dude :(

I just finished my harness today with an regular 15w soldering iron, thing aint pretty but I hope it works :D

Quick guide BTW, been soldering for some time:

On the ECU plug (Where you got the pins and stuff) put a bit of iron on it.

Remove some plastic from the wire and put iron on it.

Place wire above the pin and heat up both the wire and the pin.

Repeat for each pin.

:D

Also, the ECU plug looks like the ones I told you about? if so you can bend them straight and start with the lowest group first (Longest pins) then the other ones, that what I did instead of going directly from one side to another.

I also cutted the pins so they wheren't that big.

• Like 1

Yesterday was like modification day for ND28's MX-6. Lots of neat projects.

ND28 installed a high quality B&M short shifter, this isn't a cheap e-bay replica to our knowledge, it's the real deal. He had to do all the work. I couldn't fit under his lowered MX-6 because my jack only raises to 17" inches. It's only enough to put the car on the lowest jack stand setting. We couldn't lift the car up to the 1st notch on the jack stand lol. I'm thinking about getting one of those real low profile jacks that lift up to 21" or 22". He did a great job. What a difference a short shifter makes. The throw between stock and short shifter is night and day.

img-364346-1-P7110007_zps0894eccc.jpg

Completed short shifter install. Lower shift knob height.

img-364346-2-P7110023_zps1e7aa716.jpg

img-364346-3-P7110018_zpsd8a4123f.jpg

Black center console from a black interior MX-6. This one was sitting on my shelf for more than a year. It was going to go into my 626 but it looks much better in the MX-6. Freebie for ND28. Umm yeah this picture was before I cleaned it. I never cleaned it after pulling it from the junkyard MX-6.

img-364346-3-P7110009_zpsde04e299.jpg

Funny thing about not cleaning junkyard car parts. You never know what you're going to find in there. Yes, that is what it looks like (with dirt mixed in).

img-364346-4-P7110011_zps35916969.jpg

Silver e-brake knob from Protege. ND28 didn't like how it's much longer than the stock button. It sticks out about 1/2 more than stock. I have a

so you can see how much longer it sticks out.

img-364346-5-P7110012_zps6e11e408.jpg

Let the experiment begin!

img-364346-6-P7110014_zpse7cb7ae1.jpg

img-364346-7-P7110015_zpsc4bc54a4.jpg

Also installed silver door handles. What a pain in the ass to install. It's a juggling act. The door handle rods are much shofter than the ones in the 626 or at least you have less room to work with. It's a much much harder install to do than the 626 but ND28 is a junkyard pro and used a picktool, screwdriver, and tweezers to install them in place.

img-364346-10-P7110026_zps66ba870e.jpg

img-364346-11-P7110027_zpsbbfa8c5f.jpg

There will be video of the short shifter install and a couple other other videos in the next day or two.

• Like 1