Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
pixelpadre

96 626 Lx 2.0L Driver Cv Axle

Ok. Rotor is off, hubnut is off. Car is on jack.

Loosened the lower ball joint nut, but bolt is still in place. Nut is almost all the way off.

Does the bolt have to come all the way out? (is the bolt holding the ball joint or just pinching it?) I tried using a fork but I can't separate the ball joint. I am assuming that the ball joint has to come off to swing the wheel out of the way in order to pull the axle out.

Thought this was going to be a sunday job. But now it looks like it might be a sunday monday job.... or worse

And is the shaft going to be a big problem getting it out of the wheel bearing?

• Like 1

Ball joint doesnt need to be removed or even unbolted. Just unbolt the two bolts that connect your strut, to your hub. Once those are removed, you can tilt the hub to the side, and the axle will pop right out. ;)

There's no reason to remove any ball joint or unhook you tie rod.

That saved me a lot of grief. Thanks.

Next job is the vertical mounted tranny pan. 14 holes. I think it's not too bad. I can see all of the bolts.

Glad to know i could help. Sadly i cant give you any good info on the ATX 2.0 trans and its pan. I stay away from anything ATX generally. And specially when bolted to the 2.0.

Well.....transmission pan came off with no problems (14 holes vertical mounted). I had to remove battery tray, air filter housing, upper radiator hose, one fan and one transmission cooling line. Minimal amount of fluid came out after removing pan. A tedious process to say the least. Hopefully it will go back together with no complications.

Passenger side was more difficult as it turns out.

Getting the old axle out required some persuassion from a hammer. Once out I found that the new one would not go back in. Tried beating on that too and had no luck. Three bolts and a breaker bar got the intermediate shaft off quickly. Once off I had the two shafts united in a matter of seconds. Putting it back in place was a piece of cake. But those three bolts on the intermediate shaft were no longer easily accessible. Probably took me 20 minutes to get them back on and torqued.

Dont make the mistake of separating the ball joint. Ball joint boot was old and when I got done, it was trashed. I dont have anti lock brakes but the axle they gave was made for anti lock brakes. Still fit perfect in any case. The difference is anti lock has big gear teeth on the outside of the of the cv housing.

Car is much more responsive with the new axle. I am happy. Good for another 224,000 miles.

BTW I used two ramps to drive up on, then I jacked the car enough to get the wheel off, then removed the one ramp and replaced it with a stand. This gave me tons of room to work. Usually I just jack the front end and remove wheel.